How do you feel about letting green hair algae thrive?

Nathan P

I put a piece of drift wood in my aquarium and a green grass like plant started growing on it. I really like the look of it and very recently I realized it is green hair algae. Most people hate green hair algae and want to get rid of it immediately, but I don't think everyone realizes what you can do with it. The only form of algae control I have is bristlenose plecos. I think more people should consider letting green hair algae grow. Its an easy 'plant' that requires no maintenance, helps with water quality, and in my case looks great.IMG_20210218_115340.jpg.0dee94b4e20a44a40626a1eee4e02abd.jpg

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, Nathan P said:

I put a piece of drift wood in my aquarium and a green grass like plant started growing on it. I really like the look of it and very recently I realized it is green hair algae. Most people hate green hair algae and want to get rid of it immediately, but I don't think everyone realizes what you can do with it. The only form of algae control I have is bristlenose plecos. I think more people should consider letting green hair algae grow. Its an easy 'plant' that requires no maintenance, helps with water quality, and in my case looks great.IMG_20210218_115340.jpg.0dee94b4e20a44a40626a1eee4e02abd.jpg

first that catfish is terrifying. lol

second if mine stayed that short then yes i would let it grow

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yeah, most of mine was this loooong thready stuff that choked the tank and actually made my shrimp unhappy. They got tangled. It would even snare adult guppies. The stuff I have now is shorter and bushy. I don't mind it on hardscape, but if it infests plants I pull it.

2 hours ago, Brandy said:

Yeah, most of mine was this loooong thready stuff that choked the tank and actually made my shrimp unhappy. They got tangled. It would even snare adult guppies. The stuff I have now is shorter and bushy. I don't mind it on hardscape, but if it infests plants I pull it.

I have a problem with it mingling with the Subwassertang, it's not very attractive.. wonder why some is short and others loose and thready... light? 

On 2/19/2021 at 1:23 AM, Nathan P said:

I really like the look of it and very recently I realized it is green hair algae

If hair algae in my tanks looked like yours, I would have tried to grow it on purpose. The variety I got, however,  was an entangled mess of free-floating foot-long strands, not good looking at all. Therefore, not allowed to thrive in my aquariums. 

That being said, I actually prefer hair algae to any other kind of algae, because it's the easiest to remove. Pulling it out with tweezers feels satisfying and relaxing for some strange reason.

• Like 3