Some do some don't, but here is why I rinse my newly hatched brine shrimp before feeding to fry.

So in a tablespoon of brine shrimp eggs there approximately 420,000 to 450,000 brine shrimp eggs. I use eggs that are supposed to give a 90% hatch rate so let just say around 400,000 hatch in a little less that 2 liters of water. It is generally agreed upon that they hatch in 24-48 hours and I run my hatchers for 36 hours. Now I want you to think about this. . . baby brine shrimp hatch and start swimming about, they also more that likely start feeding on whatever exists in the water be it dead shrimp parts, decaying shells, etc. we know this because you can see growth right from the start. Well. . . if they start eating they also start peeing, pooping, excreting, whatever shrimp do. All this umm stuff is of course just bubbling around in the hatching water, and you want to dump it into your fry tanks? Just for the sake of 30 seconds of rinsing it off? My picture shows what the hatching water generally looks like after straining all the shrimp and shells out, pretty grungy right, and the saltwater ammonia test is way off the chart. Do you still want to just dump that into your fry tanks? Now just take a whiff of that hatching water, you still want to dump that in your fry tanks. I know that there are those on both sides of the benefits to rinse or not to rinse your newly hatched brine shrimp. I"m not on the fence with this, I'm firmly on the side of the fence that I always rinse my newly hatched baby brine shrimp before feeding. What if it makes the difference between having 90 fry surviving from a spawn or 300 fry surviving? I've found that sometimes in the fishroom it's just those few extra minutes here and there that produce the much better final results. Oh, and I can't imagine that any fish wants that shrimp pee, poop, or ammonia flavor on their first meals of their life. 

bs water test.jpg

Edited by Dean’s Fishroom
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I am not rinser. Here is my thinking. When I siphon newly hatched baby brine shrimp off the bottom of a cone it is not a lot of water.

20200805_3120.JPG.e64b8d9fea5eee8929e540c34897ebf0.JPG

I was curious just how much this was and it turns out is almost 1/4 teaspoon of baby brine shrimp, shrimp pee, poop, and ammonia flavor.

20200805_3123.JPG.ca0fdfab2358ffa940a87ea8f9ae7a29.JPG

My fry tanks are typically 10 gallons or approximately 37,000 1/4 teaspoons of water. Admittedly, it would take only a few minutes to rinse, but if adding 1/37000th part of water that is a few parts per million ammonia would change the ammonia concentration in the tank by 1 part in 37 billion (assuming the hornwort and other plants in the fry tank didn't absorb the ammonia) perhaps it is reasonable to ask what is gained for the time spent.

I am not a master breeder with a long time proven track record of raising fry, so maybe I should begin to rethink my non-rinsing. And you definitely have raised a valid concern over how important details can be in success. But tomorrow when I harvest my baby brine, will I rinse? I would say the odds are little greater than 1 in 37 billion that I will 🙂

Has any one tried the ZissS SF-1 sieve? if so do you use the .10 or .13? It looks like it has a metal mesh, any opinions on that?

At around 30$ a sieve, there is the RUSalty Sieve, has any one tried that or other higher quality sieves? are they worth the extra money compared to the Hobby sieve from Brine Shrimp Direct? What advantages are there?

@Dean’s Fishroom

I'm confused, I don't often rinse but I to strain... Would you consider strained but not rinsed good or do you consider rinsing still important to remove the little salt water left in the sieve?

Also Dean...... how old is your sieve really? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)   BTW I enjoy your content on the channel, thanks for sharing your experience.

https://youtu.be/3WxeqzDNtvU?t=1851

https://youtu.be/PVMntyRFaA0?t=800

Edited by TheDukeAnumber1
edit

On 8/6/2020 at 1:23 AM, Dean’s Fishroom said:

That is what I’ve done, but now after measuring the amount of ammonia I might have to change that practice.

I have been using @Dean’s Fishroom system of 36 hour hatch, drain all the shrimp & water while discarding the floating eggs, strain and rinse half the shrimp while saving that water, then put the remaining shrimp plus all the water back in for another 12(ish) hours.

So far this has worked great for me and I don't see any dead shrimp when I go to strain and rinse the second half. At least they have twice the amount of water per shrimp as before? They may also have a high ammonia tolerance. I found this science paper but have not read the whole thing. Below is the abstract:

Effect of pH and Decapsulation on the Toxicity of Ammonia to the Brine Shrimp Artemia franciscana

Abstract

Artemia franciscana were hatched and tested for tolerance to ammonia at pH 6.5 and 8.5 in artificial seawater with a salinity of 17 ‰. Nauplii seemed to be less tolerant of ammonia at pH 6.5 despite the fact that more of the ammonia is in the ionized form (NH4+). It is suggested that this greater sensitivity is a result of the NH4+ competing with the Na+ during gut transfer. Nauplii hatched from decapulated cysts were more tolerant of ammonia than those hatched from whole cysts, probably because of a greater energy reserve.

23 hours ago, TheDukeAnumber1 said:

@Dean’s Fishroom

I'm confused, I don't often rinse but I to strain... Would you consider strained but not rinsed good or do you consider rinsing still important to remove the little salt water left in the sieve?

Also Dean...... how old is your sieve really? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)   BTW I enjoy your content on the channel, thanks for sharing your experience.

https://youtu.be/3WxeqzDNtvU?t=1851

https://youtu.be/PVMntyRFaA0?t=800

Is 30 seconds of rinsing going to going to kill you? I rinse mine, I have great breeding and fry rearing success, but as they say, your mileage may vary. It's a choice you have to make. . .

When I actually figured it out more closely and yes that sieve is more than 40 years old. Here's an image of the new one I have first time ever out of the box. Note it was a product of West Germany, do you remember the wall between East and West Germany? Oh, and they cost $4.00 each.

BS-Sieve2.jpg

BS-Sieve1.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/7/2020 at 4:16 PM, Dean’s Fishroom said:

Is 30 seconds of rinsing going to going to kill you? I rinse mine, I have great breeding and fry rearing success, but as they say, your mileage may vary. It's a choice you have to make. . .

When I actually figured it out more closely and yes that sieve is more than 40 years old. Here's an image of the new one I have first time ever out of the box. Note it was a product of West Germany, do you remember the wall between East and West Germany? Oh, and they cost $4.00 each.

BS-Sieve2.jpg

BS-Sieve1.jpg

They still cost $4.00 each I bought them after I saw your Brine Shrimp 🦐 101 video.