Aquarium stands

stephk

If you're looking for something more furniture-like, check out bathroom vanities without tops at Lowes, Home Depot, or local stores. They're typically well made. All you'd need do is add a top of some sort. They come in a variety of sizes. They typically even have the capability of making a marble, stone, etc. top for you in the store. Well made kitchen cabinets can also serve as aquarium stands. Local metal workers can fabricate pretty much anything you want and make it as strong as you want. Older, well made dressers can often hold most moderate sized fish tanks. If you really want to get crazy, a glass shop could probably make you a glass stand, but the design would be tricky and the really thick glass gets very pricey.

• Like 3

Aquarium coop and Tazawas tanks both have YouTube videos on building stands with concrete blocks and 2x4s. I went that approach and it was really easy! I did cut the wood because I didn’t need the full length but the hardware store can cut it for you. A little spray paint for the blocks and stain for the wood to dress it up and voila!  I like the look in my home office very much but admittedly, this may not look great say in your living room unless you covered it with painted wood. or maybe even a piece of cloth?

• Like 1

I have a 20 gallon long on a two-drawer file cabinet, a 10 gallon tank on a small chest of drawers, and my daughter-in-law has a 55 on a sideboard.  Both of mine have a piece of 3/4" plywood under them to spread out the load, and in all three cases the furniture is slightly larger than the tank in all four directions.  This keeps stress off the tank, and also keeps its weight over the furniture supports instead of in the middle.

And I just remembered that I have two 5.5 gallon shrimp tanks end-to-end on the end of my large schoolteacher type desk.

• Like 1

On 12/19/2020 at 8:13 AM, Daniel said:

My non store bought stands run the gamut from Singer sewing machine stands

IMG_2832.JPG.b41be9c0ff61fc4277d1de6198a

As much as I like your tool chest stands, My favorite is the treadle sewing machine stand. I hate to think of how many times I passed up a chance to pick up one of those.  Is that a butcher block top?

7 minutes ago, Tanked said:

As much as I like your tool chest stands, My favorite is the treadle sewing machine stand. I hate to think of how many times I passed up a chance to pick up one of those.  Is that a butcher block top?

As a beekeeper I do a lot of woodworking making hives and such and I have a lot of lumber on hand. That board above on the sewing machine stand is the sister piece to this board which is a 36" x 20" x 2" length of red maple.

383772748_BigBoard.jpg.11c1fc05553e7394b32bc51595476961.jpg

It is the perfect size for 40 gallon breeder aquariums or any aquarium with footprint of a 40 breeder.

• Like 2

I’m using the “Alcide End Table” from Wayfair.com for my 10 gallon. It’s very sturdy and the perfect size! Though it is a little low—but I wanted it to fit under the barstool area in my kitchen.

I actually bought my 55 gallon on Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace or something with its stand. It was a great deal!

6EFE904F-AD9A-45B5-A335-7F4E0FDAC750.jpeg

• Like 1