Has anyone tried this living wall?

I was browsing the co-op blog and saw this article about an alternative to moss walls. I'm interested in trying it out and have most of the plants I'd need, but I'm a little hesitant about spending $50+ on the mat, as I'd do this for a 36g tank. Has anyone tried this out, or done living walls in general? If you did, how did it turn out, especially in the long run? Was it worth it?

• Like 1

I was interested in a living wall but couldn't get the mat so I just attached different kinds of anubias to the back and side walls using suction cups (learned this trick here on the forum). The cups are well hidden because the back of the tank is black. The wall is couple of month old and so far I like it, especially the because the placement of the plants can be changed at will and there is no loss of the space due to the mat thickness. 

• Like 1

I don't know why, but my java fern grows right up the glass on the back wall of my tank. Maybe you could give that a try without spending anything on the mat. 

20201208_134037.jpg.708ecfa7d52ddd78b5ba78e7fae450d7.jpg20201208_134024.jpg.ea7f826c2981d78a076c3894b3b9c00c.jpg

I didn't do anything to get it started, except that the log or rock that I'd attached the moss to was near the wall. It just volunteered. 😆  And the wood that you see in the pic is NOT attached to the moss. I've moved the things it was attached to, but it keeps growing. 

Alesha

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2020 at 7:44 AM, Fonske said:

I was interested in a living wall but couldn't get the mat so I just attached different kinds of anubias to the back and side walls using suction cups (learned this trick here on the forum). The cups are well hidden because the back of the tank is black. The wall is couple of month old and so far I like it, especially the because the placement of the plants can be changed at will and there is no loss of the space due to the mat thickness. 

Got pictures?  Please?

On 12/6/2020 at 3:27 AM, wendypizza said:

I was browsing the co-op blog and saw this article about an alternative to moss walls. I'm interested in trying it out and have most of the plants I'd need, but I'm a little hesitant about spending $50+ on the mat, as I'd do this for a 36g tank. Has anyone tried this out, or done living walls in general? If you did, how did it turn out, especially in the long run? Was it worth it?

I think i need to do this...immediately. 🙂 thanks.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Lyon Aquascapes said:

Fonske that is a really good look! Also is that a Dennerle Scapers Tank?

Thanks. No, the tank is from a no-name chinese manufacturer. The rounded-edges style is called "hot bent glass" here. The tank is quite shallow, this is actually one of the reasons why I decided to put the plants on the walls, there is not enough room on the floor. A cube with planted walls would look even better, I think.

I forgot to mention that the bunch of anubias nana petite (at the bottom of the tank, center-left) is sewn onto a piece of coarse black sponge (camouflaged by a bit of the sand on top).  Can probably be considered as "living mat". 

11 hours ago, Frost said:

Wait, this is just suction cupped to the glass? Like with airline holders? Do they ever fall down?

Yes, just suction cupped to the glass. I used suction cups that came with heaters and submersible lights, they were an easy fit for ~1/2" thick rhizomes.

They don't fall down. The flow in the tank is very gentle, the anubias is lighter than water, so there is hardly any weight load on the suction cups.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, wendypizza said:

This is absolutely GORGEOUS. Wow!! I'm gonna have to try this out on one of my smaller tanks. The fish look so wonderful against the background.

Thank you :) One tip if you are going to do it - avoid (or modify) two-piece suction cups like this one: 

Suction-Cup.jpg.cee755bbf575eebcdfcc35f6b2b1dad1.jpg

Their "arms" are perfect for holding the rhizomes, but they are also prone to detaching themselves when one tries to adjust the position or (especially) the angle of the cup. It's not hard to fix though, just tie the parts together with some thread and it will be fine.  Plants can also be secured to cups with a cable tie or thread, i.e. it's not necessary to have cups with "arms".

• Like 2