Anubias Only Tanks!

Your tank looks real good. What are the surface plants?

Anubia Nana Petite is the first and only plant that I haven't killed. Have you ever noticed any of your Anubia changing leaf shape or size, dependent on their placement in the tank?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tanked said:

Anubia Nana Petite is the first and only plant that I haven't killed. Have you ever noticed any of your Anubia changing leaf shape or size, dependent on their placement in the tank?

Surface plant is just duckweed. :3

I've only really ever noticed a change in leaf size/shape when they're converting to being submersed. Hmm!

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Tanked said:

I inherited an Anubias nana petite covered bonsai tree. Prior to getting it it was languishing untended in a vacant apartment. I replaced the lighting with slightly better quality lights, and started giving it fertilizer, and the leaves got bigger while it put on a massive growth spurt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks  @H.K.Luterman @Brandy From left to right, The Anubia in the left corner is the youngest of the Anubia. The Anubia in front of the Java fern is the parent plant.   The plant on the far right is the first cutting.  In the earliest version of this tank, the right side was dimmer. The parent plant and cutting maintained a a smaller much rounder leaf.  I originally thought that was where the "petite" came from.

P2.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanked said:

Thanks  @H.K.Luterman @Brandy From left to right, The Anubia in the left corner is the youngest of the Anubia. The Anubia in front of the Java fern is the parent plant.   The plant on the far right is the first cutting.  In the earliest version of this tank, the right side was dimmer. The parent plant and cutting maintained a a smaller much rounder leaf.  I originally thought that was where the "petite" came from.

P2.jpg

Interesting! Do you think it could be because you have the rhizome buried? Maybe its being stunted from inadequate water flow. 

Lovely looking tank! I love your elodea looking stuff, makes me miss having some (my bichirs kept bulldozing through it and making a mess).  

I'm thinking about it ...I decided I didn't like having rooted plants so I only have anubias and a moss ball. I have an ornament that's great for putting anubias in so as it grows I have places to put any cuttings.... It might take time! How long did it take you to propogate yours to that amt? Or did you just buy a lot? 

16070372394659058572709246233841.jpg

• Like 2

Nice to see Anubias come out of the accent role and become the focal plant.

I also thought about it'll look cool to have big Anubias in background, then gradually coming to the front with smaller species. And this just looks so good!

I think Cory mentioned about someone growing a Anubias Nana "carpet" before. Might be a good long term addition to your tank 😃

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FishObsessed said:

I'm thinking about it ...I decided I didn't like having rooted plants so I only have anubias and a moss ball. I have an ornament that's great for putting anubias in so as it grows I have places to put any cuttings.... It might take time! How long did it take you to propogate yours to that amt? Or did you just buy a lot? 

16070372394659058572709246233841.jpg

Oh yeah, that'll look neat covered in anubias! Lots of nooks and crannies for them to cling to. 

I did buy quite a few, there's 7 separate rhizomes from what I can tell (though you can usually get 2 or three plants from one pot). That's a little more than a year and a half of growth though, so it's much more filled in than what it used to be. 

• Like 1

On 12/3/2020 at 9:37 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

Wow! That's gorgeous! I'm jealous of your java fern, I've never had any luck with it.

Thanks, l wasn't sure how to scape or plant in a BiOrb since it's basically an undergravel/box filter, and you have to access the center uplift tube for filter maintenance. So I hid that with half a coconut with plants glued onto it. Then I thought it looked weird without a background, so I used that Java Fern as kind of a curtain for a the background. I also find it to be a finicky plant. I have only purchased it 3 times and it always dies back slowly, but the new leaves are usually good after that. It grows slowly for me and looks awful for quite a while. I think it's just an acclimation process, because I have never fully killed one but I wouldn't say I have had the best of luck with them. It had been setup up for a couple months in that picture and you can see some browning on the leaves. It's about half as thick now, 6 months later. I don't think the light is strong enough to support the lush growth that it had.

20201204_230543-1.jpg.e7a3053397e52d3bba72f9fb22c0ce18.jpg

Edited by Aubrey
Update pictures
  • Like 1

On 12/2/2020 at 10:50 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

Interesting! Do you think it could be because you have the rhizome buried? Maybe its being stunted from inadequate water flow. 

Lovely looking tank! I love your elodea looking stuff, makes me miss having some (my bichirs kept bulldozing through it and making a mess).  

The rhizomes are actually about an inch above the substrate. The root systems have held onto some of the gravel from an earlier transplant.  You might be onto something with water flow.  The side mounted HOB filter guarantees flow across the 29 gallon tank. The taller Anubia is next to the intake.

I found an earlier photo with the plants side by side.  It occurred to me that the stunted plants had received a peroxide dip for BBA.  That may be a contributor. 

The Anacharis was supposed to hide the lift tube on the right side but like your birchirs, my pleco continued to plow through it.  I ended up gluing it to a rock behind the tube.  I regretted the purchase until it tripled in volume, and put out dozens of long vertical roots across the tank.  Now its a keeper.

• Like 1