What's your favorite "step up" size tank?

Hope everyone is having a great summer so far.

For me, it will finally be a step-up summer! Meaning I'm getting things ready to set up my second tank (and moving out of the singular betta tank world). My tank right now is a 10g. The new tank will be going in my Dad's home office, so I really want it to be a tank that's got a lot going on and is something cool to look at. We'll see how much of a scape I feel like putting together, or if I'll just let it be a jungle of plants lol. 

I haven't thought a whole ton about stocking, but I think I'd like to have a decent school of cardinals (my dad likes them and LFS always has them), panda corys on the bottom, and a gourami centerpiece (likely honey gourami). Ideally it would be fun to have two schools of different fish - cardinals and then something else with a little more personality, but I'm unsure on that one.

My question for you is: What size tank would you recommend for someone ready to step up? These are what I'm thinking -

20 High - Open to thoughts on this one

20 Long - Can't decide if I really like the look of the length on this one or not😂

29 high - Probably the size I'm most interested in. I feel like I've heard a lot of people say this one is a tricky size, mostly because its narrow and tall. I guess it's harder to scape? But I feel like it opens up more options to have 2 schools of midwater fish. Kind of a fan, but I want to hear what you guys have to say.

40 breeder - I feel like this seems a tad much for not owning anything bigger than a 10g, but hey, what do you guys think? I'm willing to put in alllllll the maintenance so I can enjoy this bad boy to the fullest.

I appreciate it, nerms!

• Like 2

I'm a fan of the 30 gallon tank.  It has a 36" by 12.5" footprint, which gives a lot of space for schools to move around.  For me, the length and width are much more important than the height of the tank.  It might feel huge after a 10 gallon, but it isn't hard to maintain.  I'm running one with a small school of Glo-Danios and Khuli Loaches (I'm kind of addicted to loaches).  

• Like 3

On 6/3/2024 at 4:46 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Hope everyone is having a great summer so far.

For me, it will finally be a step-up summer! Meaning I'm getting things ready to set up my second tank (and moving out of the singular betta tank world). My tank right now is a 10g. The new tank will be going in my Dad's home office, so I really want it to be a tank that's got a lot going on and is something cool to look at. We'll see how much of a scape I feel like putting together, or if I'll just let it be a jungle of plants lol. 

I haven't thought a whole ton about stocking, but I think I'd like to have a decent school of cardinals (my dad likes them and LFS always has them), panda corys on the bottom, and a gourami centerpiece (likely honey gourami). Ideally it would be fun to have two schools of different fish - cardinals and then something else with a little more personality, but I'm unsure on that one.

My question for you is: What size tank would you recommend for someone ready to step up? These are what I'm thinking -

20 High - Open to thoughts on this one

20 Long - Can't decide if I really like the look of the length on this one or not😂

29 high - Probably the size I'm most interested in. I feel like I've heard a lot of people say this one is a tricky size, mostly because its narrow and tall. I guess it's harder to scape? But I feel like it opens up more options to have 2 schools of midwater fish. Kind of a fan, but I want to hear what you guys have to say.

40 breeder - I feel like this seems a tad much for not owning anything bigger than a 10g, but hey, what do you guys think? I'm willing to put in alllllll the maintenance so I can enjoy this bad boy to the fullest.

I appreciate it, nerms!

Congrats on setting up your new tank! I just gotta 20g, but I have read a lot of things, about different sizes. 20g long, it’s awesome, that is what I have tho 😜. 20 high is very cool looking and you can have more taller plants and all that stuff. But overall out of the 3, I say 20g high. For someone who is just getting a new 2nd tank, I wouldn’t go super big like a 40. But this is IMO. But if not 20 high, 29 high!

• Like 1

I went from 5 gallon right to 55, but then when I get into something I tend to jump in with both feet 😄

From talking with my LFS and other commentary I've seen around the forum, long tends to be preferable to high for schooling fish.  Not that it can't be done, but most schooling fish do better with a decent amount of horizontal space, allowing them to swim more back and forth.  But there is something really fun about a tall tank.

With the proper planning and research I think you can make either work.  For me personally, I'd go with the biggest yo can get away with!

• Like 2

I think a 40 breeder is a good size. I had a 20 high and I kept finding myself with problems involving species. Despite what people tell you, doing a pair of cichlids in a 20 HAS NEVER WORKED FOR ME. SERIOUSLY. Neither have gouramis. I think that a 40 breeder is a good idea, my second choice would be a 20 Long. 29's have good water volume, but aside from stocking quantity, are not much different from a 20 high, swimming space wise. With that 40, I would suggest getting a Pearl Gourami for your centerpiece, provided the space isn't too noisy. They are the least aggressive larger gourami. Cardinals are a good idea, and as for another schooler, here are my suggestions:

Glowlight Danios (worked well in my 20 high)

Praecox/Celebes/Furcata/McCullochi/Luminatus Rainbowfish (All beautiful rainbows, good for higher Ph water.

Ember tetras (one of the only tetras that has worked for me)

• Like 2

I really love my 29’s. My first one was my first “big tank”, and I learned a lot with it. They’re big enough that you can get bottom, mid-level, and top dwellers going, plants can really grow and get wild, there’s enough space for lots of things, and I personally like the shape and that they feel big. Yet, they’re small enough that maintenance is easy, you can reach the whole tank from one spot (unlike my 55’s), and they’re not a burden. Personally, 29’s might be my favorite size.  

• Like 2

From a maintenance perspective, I have truly felt like the larger the tank, the easier to maintain. The tank sort of runs itself, to some degree, and just feels more stable. A 180 is the largest tank I have, and the waterchanges are the easiest I have done on any tank. I don't even get wet hands. Drop a pump in to pump water out a window. Hook up a python to the sink. Refill and dechlorinate.

With that said, I'd say get the largest tank you mentioned...the 40 breeder. It is a great footprint with some dimensional depth, and lots of stocking options. It's also very easy math to figure out water change schedules and volumes. (25/50/75%...etc).

• Like 3

The tank is probably the least expensive part of the decision. It's the hoods, filters, etc. that are the costs.  One thing good about the 20g long and 29g is that they both share the same foot print which allows some future flexibility for repurposing the accessories.

The decision should be based a lot on what fish you want to stock and what tank would fit well in the available space.

• Like 2

On 6/3/2024 at 7:16 PM, Billipo said:

The tank is probably the least expensive part of the decision.

Ain’t that the truth! Those dang plants over here breakin my bank!!🫡

Thank you to everyone who has given their two cents so far!

Posted (edited)

I think the 29 gallon is perfect for a second tank.  I have a couple of Aqueon 29 gallons with the Imagitarium Brooklyn metal stands and I really like them.  One nice thing about a metal stand is that you can buy magnets and mount your temperature controller on the stand:

templ1.jpeg

temp2.jpeg

Edited by Galabar
  • Love 1

I went from a 10g to a 29g. It’s a great size  to be able to keep a bigger group but small enough that cleaning it isn’t a huge chore. Also, purchasing equipment (if you’re buying the pieces separately vs as a kit) will not break the bank. It’s big enough to notice in a space, but still small enough to easily find a spot for it in just about any room.  You’ll feel like you have a much bigger tank without feeling overwhelmed. I loved mine when I first got it and still love it even after setting up a 75g (especially the total cost of the 29g vs the 75g 😁).

You’d also be able to house a bit bigger fish if you so wished, though not in huge groups. 

• Like 2

My step up aquarium was a 29, and I have no regrets. 

The footprint isn't that much larger than the 10, and the extra space isn't a budget buster.  If you want to skip a few steps, go to the 75.  I also have a 55 and a 65, but  It seems like all of the extra vertical height is wasted, and maintenance on the 75 is easier.

I've always found it curious that  before bowfronts became available, with the exception of a 40 cube in my local PetSmart, I've never seen any other sizes in a store.  The only aquarium choices around me were 5,10,29,55. 

• Like 2

I started with a 20. Had it for years. Finally set up a 40. But got my hands on another two 20s, another 40 and a 75. 😁 once my 40 is pretty self sufficient other than feeding. Ima figure something out for the 75. 

• Like 2

Obviously you need room in the house and room in the budget, but after that, I'll always be biased toward lower, longer tanks, all else being equal. Partly because more footprint gives more space for fish and territories and more swim space in the water column (since most fish do a lot more lateral swimming than vertical swimming), partly because more footprint gives more room for planting, but also because water depth dramatically reduces PAR, so getting adequate light to plants in tall tanks is a lot harder than in shorter tanks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2024 at 10:13 AM, Rube_Goldfish said:

Obviously you need room in the house and room in the budget, but after that, I'll always be biased toward lower, longer tanks, all else being equal. Partly because more footprint gives more space for fish and territories and more swim space in the water column (since most fish do a lot more lateral swimming than vertical swimming), partly because more footprint gives more room for planting, but also because water depth dramatically reduces PAR, so getting adequate light to plants in tall tanks is a lot harder than in shorter tanks.

Yep, in aquariums, bigger is almost always better!  The bigger tank, the more stocking options! Agreed

Edited by Whitecloud09
  • Like 1

I'm understanding this as 'good first time set ups'

Either a 20g long, or a 40g breeder. 

Both are relatively small-ish...and provide good options for fish varieties and plenty of room to scape 

• Like 3

I'd say 29, but If you decide to do a 20, because you're unsure about going bigger, I'd recommend a 20 long. It has the same footprint and uses the same lids as a 29, so it's an easier upgrade later on.

• Like 4

On 6/5/2024 at 8:50 AM, Jeff said:

I'm understanding this as 'good first time set ups'

Exactly! Just moving up in tank sizes and trying to decide what ‘footprint’ is best for someone who’s never owned anything except a 10g😂

The ‘bigger the better’ approach definitely makes sense, but I also wanted input from you guys because I feel like it could be a huge learning curve jumping straight into huge tanks. That’s why I’m starting with nothing more than 40g bc I think it will give me time to figure out how all the things work.

• Like 2