I'm glad it wasn't MY 265,000 gallon aquarium that burst...

anewbie

On 12/16/2022 at 10:29 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

At least it was empty of fish when it blew…

Where did you see it didn't have fish in? I'd seen that most of the fish weren't able to be saved because of the cold. They froze faster than they'd have died from just being out of water.

I had a 10-gallon break on me when filling it up due to a piece of metal under the base I did not notice. I was 12-14 ish at the time.  Even 5 gallons is ridiculous amount of water to deal with on a floor.  That giant wheeled shopvac from lowes is always close now and very handy for all sorts of things. I even have used that as my easy button to remove substrate on a full tank reset.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 12/16/2022 at 11:09 AM, lefty o said:

not sure, but im thinking they need more than a 5gal wet/dry vac for that one.

not sure, but im thinking they need more than a 5gal wet/dry vac for that one.

I just put an order in for a 100,000 gallon Shop Vac just in case my wife finally lets me get the 265,000 gallon aquarium I've always wanted.  Gotta be prepared.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

“aquarium was reportedly extensively modernized in the summer of 2020.”

I am not sure what this means, but I’d look there for your sudden failures in design. If the tank had been running for nearly 20 years before that, it gives me pause.

I know with my car which is 25 years old the issues started occurring once I started messing with it. 

On 12/16/2022 at 1:19 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Here is my question, why in the news video in the first link were they seemingly pouring more water on the situation?!  I feel like 26,500gal was plenty.  Were they concerned there might still be somewhere that was dry?  Was this just insult to injury?  What?!  The world may never know.

I assumed that was water returning that had splashed up onto the second floor.  😉

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2022 at 8:56 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

I am not sure what this means, but I’d look there for your sudden failures in design. If the tank had been running for nearly 20 years before that, it gives me pause.

I visited it in 2018 or 2019 before the pandemic and it was basically a glass cylinder  mounted on a concrete pedestal. At the join between the glass and the concrete, you could see traces of water and a dripping sound echoed around the hotel lobby. Caretakers would be all around the base with what I now recognize as silicone.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/16/2022 at 2:57 PM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I visited it in 2018 or 2019 before the pandemic and it was basically a glass cylinder  mounted on a concrete pedestal. At the join between the glass and the concrete, you could see traces of water and a dripping sound echoed around the hotel lobby. Caretakers would be all around the base with what I now recognize as silicone.

"Oh, I see you've seen our continuous water change system."

• Haha 6

On 12/16/2022 at 11:12 AM, jwcarlson said:

I just put an order in for a 100,000 gallon Shop Vac just in case my wife finally lets me get the 265,000 gallon aquarium I've always wanted.  Gotta be prepared.

I hope you got the new vac-com, it’s the choice of savvy aquarists everywhere.

5DDA11A2-FBC6-4AED-940A-D8F50F7E8170.jpeg.3b8dc7582ae1ae14b54a831b402caa00.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 12/16/2022 at 1:19 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Here is my question, why in the news video in the first link were they seemingly pouring more water on the situation?!  I feel like 26,500gal was plenty.  Were they concerned there might still be somewhere that was dry?  Was this just insult to injury?  What?!  The world may never know.

I noticed that too. My best guess would be trying to rinse off the saltwater to avoid salt/corrosion issues, but your guess is as good as mine.

• Like 1