I'm glad it wasn't MY 265,000 gallon aquarium that burst...

anewbie

On 12/16/2022 at 2:56 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

“aquarium was reportedly extensively modernized in the summer of 2020.”

I am not sure what this means, but I’d look there for your sudden failures in design. If the tank had been running for nearly 20 years before that, it gives me pause.

I know with my car which is 25 years old the issues started occurring once I started messing with it. 

I would assume it was an acrylic aquarium. It's hard to make that much glass in that shape. Anything that old (twenty plus years) made of an acrylic might just be getting a tad fragile. Here's an interesting article about large aquarium failures. When acrylic aquariums fail (plasticstoday.com)

On 12/17/2022 at 6:54 AM, gardenman said:

I would assume it was an acrylic aquarium. It's hard to make that much glass in that shape. Anything that old (twenty plus years) made of an acrylic might just be getting a tad fragile. Here's an interesting article about large aquarium failures. When acrylic aquariums fail (plasticstoday.com)

4678294B-8902-49E2-81D8-FECCF56AD2DF.jpeg.5d82a3c2f99f7ec2bfe3d7c81b63d0bb.jpeg

2.5’ thick! 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 2:58 PM, Patrick_G said:

4678294B-8902-49E2-81D8-FECCF56AD2DF.jpeg.5d82a3c2f99f7ec2bfe3d7c81b63d0bb.jpeg

2.5’ thick! 

Yeah, that's some serious acrylic. I'm not sure how long it would take thirty inches of acrylic to cure, but it would take a while. I've used acrylic to replace broken window glass before and after five to ten years, it gets pretty brittle. Now replacement window acrylic gets more UV exposure which could contribute to its failing, but age isn't kind to acrylic. A little poking around shows acrylic tanks have an estimated 5-15 year lifespan. Glass tanks pretty much last forever.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 12/16/2022 at 12:19 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Here is my question, why in the news video in the first link were they seemingly pouring more water on the situation?!  I feel like 26,500gal was plenty.  Were they concerned there might still be somewhere that was dry?  Was this just insult to injury?  What?!  The world may never know.

I wonder if that was the return water from the filtration room and the pumps were on a generator or something still pumping the cleaned salt water out that was still on the pump side of the system 

• Like 2

On 12/17/2022 at 2:19 PM, gardenman said:

A little poking around shows acrylic tanks have an estimated 5-15 year lifespan.

That's not what the owner of a 300gal acrylic tank wants to hear!  😬

On 12/17/2022 at 7:19 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

I wonder if that was the return water from the filtration room and the pumps were on a generator or something still pumping the cleaned salt water out that was still on the pump side of the system 

So, it was insult to injury then... 

On 12/17/2022 at 9:59 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

That's not what the owner of a 300gal acrylic tank wants to hear!  😬

So, it was insult to injury then... 

Yeah, that lifespan isn't great. Predatory Fins on YouTube have a 3,000-gallon acrylic tank that's coming unglued at the top and they have clamps holding it together until they can reglue it. I'd be a nervous wreck about that knowing what I know now. Acrylic window glass replacement gets very brittle over time. It's thinner than the acrylic used in aquariums, but it's otherwise the same stuff. When you read about big aquarium failures, it's nearly always the acrylic tanks. And it's usually in that five to twenty-year window when they fail.  

On 12/18/2022 at 6:44 AM, gardenman said:

When you read about big aquarium failures, it's nearly always the acrylic tanks.

So, while I'm not arguing with you, I wonder if this is partly correlation.  Cory had the big glass tank fail and moved to acrylic, in part because over a certain size most tanks are made of acrylic.  That being the case, if a big tank is going to fail, it seems that just by probability alone it will be an acrylic one.  To figure out if acrylic is really more likely to fail as a material for big tanks, statistically that would have to be corrected for. 

Still, I'll be watching that 300 like a hawk now! 

The internet seemed to be having problems with this story yesterday, so I went to YouTube to see if I could find a video that could be viewed without stuttering or hiccups.  The very first video informed me that the very same aquarium exploded in Beijing yesterday.  I can't find the video today, but I read it on the internet so it must be true.  I will also avoid walking past hotel lobbies for a while

• Haha 1

I'd assume its more of the pressure from the depth of the water risk than anything. When a flaw in the fusing of the panels at time of manufacturing occurs its a weakness in the structure of the tank. Any weakness could cause an acrylic seam failures / creep rupture in acrylic. Bubbles in the seam/failure to fully cure the seam are probably a major factor in acrylic tank failures If I had to guess.  

To me it is same mechanism of failure in glass tanks with silicone seams as it would be in acrylic. Rare but posible in both and if it ever happened its shop vac and damage control. Quality manufacturing, level stands and good maintence practices should mitigate risk in both ........ but i dont have a giant wet dry vac and a carpet cleaner for the great days. 

• Like 1