• Administrators

Yes, as you probably know they were made to be as close to blood worms as possible in a dry food form. I absolutely love it as a food and recommend it. Not every fish for every person goes bananas for it. But so many fish who are typically picky do. It's a tool in the tool box to have for sure I feel. 

I am watching the baby discus eat Vibra bites this morning and I am still in shock how quickly they took to it. They look like a little herd of grazing cattle and moving across the bottom of the tank just gobbling it all up. And it is not just that they are eating it, I think they actually like it.

My fish go nuts for Vibra bites in my 75 gallon and I'm about due for some more. My Blood Parrot, Convict and Electric Blue Acara inhale them, and Dwarf Neon Rainbows grab them and hide from the cichlids while they chew them down.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 9:40 PM, Lynze said:

My fish go nuts for Vibra bites in my 75 gallon and I'm about due for some more. My Blood Parrot, Convict and Electric Blue Acara inhale them, and Dwarf Neon Rainbows grab them and hide from the cichlids while they chew them down.  

How does the combo of those guys work out for you? I have a blood parrot and a electric blue acara that are going in a 75 g and am wondering about 1 more larger fish and some smaller dither fish. 

Vibra bites have worked nicely for some of my pickier eaters like bumblebee gobies. They always appear mildly confused at how crunchy they are though, which is cute. 

My Convict is in a separate tank, she's far too hateful to have roommates.  My Blood Parrot is with an Electric Blue Acara, a Bristlenose pleco, the Dwarf Neon Rainbows, and some Geophagus Tapajos. They all do really well together. They will be upgraded to a 125 gallon soon and I'll add more Rainbows.

The Blood Parrot is tank boss, and EBA is "second in command". They kind of just patrol the tank and keep the peace. I was a little worried about the Rainbows when they were smaller, and then I saw a Geo go up to stalk one and try to nip it. Admittedly, it was small enough to eat and I pushed it a little adding them at that size. The Rainbow whipped around and nipped the Geo on the tail before he could even turn around to figure out what was happening. When it did turn around the little Rainbow was not moving, just staring at it. It creeped the Geophagus out and it swam away. 

They handle themselves very well against cichlids. No one has messed with them since. 

I would say as long as the larger fish you add is as peaceful as the 2 that you have now and the dithers aren't snack size, it should be fine. In my case, Dwarf Neon Rainbows have been excellent dithers for these guys. 

16 minutes ago, Lynze said:

My Convict is in a separate tank, she's far too hateful to have roommates.  My Blood Parrot is with an Electric Blue Acara, a Bristlenose pleco, the Dwarf Neon Rainbows, and some Geophagus Tapajos. They all do really well together. They will be upgraded to a 125 gallon soon and I'll add more Rainbows.

The Blood Parrot is tank boss, and EBA is "second in command". They kind of just patrol the tank and keep the peace. I was a little worried about the Rainbows when they were smaller, and then I saw a Geo go up to stalk one and try to nip it. Admittedly, it was small enough to eat and I pushed it a little adding them at that size. The Rainbow whipped around and nipped the Geo on the tail before he could even turn around to figure out what was happening. When it did turn around the little Rainbow was not moving, just staring at it. It creeped the Geophagus out and it swam away. 

They handle themselves very well against cichlids. No one has messed with them since. 

I would say as long as the larger fish you add is as peaceful as the 2 that you have now and the dithers aren't snack size, it should be fine. In my case, Dwarf Neon Rainbows have been excellent dithers for these guys. 

This is great to hear as the geophagus actually was one of my top picks and I wasn’t finding enough info on how it would do with the other two. Thank you! Hopefully I’ll find some eventually and they can all happily snack on vibra bites. 

Haha, I just fed it to my young betta this morning, but I should've crumbled it up beforehand because the pieces were a little too big. He eventually made short work of them though. My livebearers and dwarf chain loaches definitely love them too, but they'll eat anything.

• Like 1