On 10/14/2023 at 5:25 AM, Schuyler said:

You're on your way to being a master breeder!

One day maybe…I’ll need to get myself a rack of tanks like yours first! 
The remaining  glowlight fry seem about a day away from being free swimming. So far I’ve spotted a grand total of 2. 😅

IMG_3981.jpeg

IMG_3983.jpeg

Edited by TheSwissAquarist
  • Love 1

I’m having to chop & change the tanks a bit before going on holiday. The hundreds of danio fry aren’t exactly helping, and I’ve realized that the few tetra fry I have probably wouldn’t survive my absence. 🤦‍♂️IMG_3989.jpeg.53d7c27caddb88732a4edfc3f3a3a201.jpeg 

This dark cloud does have a silver lining though: glowlight tetra fry take 5 days to develop, and my vacation lasts exactly 5 days as well. With a bit of luck, I can spawn the tetras the morning I leave, and come back to some free-swimming fry. I know it’s a long shot, but I’m optimistic that BBS induced romance can conquer all. 😂IMG_3991.gif.34ab6305206baf700bf10c9f59c880d9.gif

Also went to a friend of mines ski-jumping competition (acrobatic). It’s super surprising that they don’t twist an ankle when they land on the airbag at the bottom. 

IMG_3976.jpeg

• Like 3

On 10/16/2023 at 4:45 PM, JoeQ said:

Nosing around your Journal and noticed the picture of the tank in your garage. Can you tell me what that black mat is the tank is sitting on? That would be the perfect protector for my next project!

Screenshot_20231016_163957_Firefox.jpg

On 10/12/2023 at 8:24 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Which part of this tank is a violation of the law of common sense? 3 guesses…

Pretty sure I saw the little girl and her mom checking out of the store with the same bowl and the same gravel and everything....

1.  I was happy to see a kid being introduced to the hobby.
2.  The mom was clearly not fully prepared or understanding of what was needed
3.  Thankfully, she asked questions and I was able to help out every so slightly.  I tried to be extremely polite and explained small things to try to help out.

The kid spent a good 10 minutes in line staring at the fish and treating it like she was holding a living thing.  Beautiful to see. 

All we can do is hope more of the correct care spreads and that in the stores things are shared with the people to set them up for healthy, successful fish care.  🤞

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 10/16/2023 at 10:45 PM, JoeQ said:

Nosing around your Journal and noticed the picture of the tank in your garage. Can you tell me what that black mat is the tank is sitting on? That would be the perfect protector for my next project!

It’s a black foam mat that was right next to the aquarium part of the store. I think it’s compressed foam? I’m going there today anyway, so I’ll keep an eye out. 

On 10/17/2023 at 11:55 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Tetras are hard to breed. You should be proud!

I like your shrimps. I see them called Sunkist shrimp here in the U.S.

Thanks. 😊 I’m thinking about getting a RO system because my water here is dead hard (I got hold of a report which states that my water has 0 chlorine, but a pH of 7.6 out of the tap, and that it’s pretty hard). Not ideal for tetras, but a bit of peat should solve that. 🙃

I got my first platy yesterday! A pregnant golden female (I’m trying to justify paying 10 bucks for her). 

IMG_4013.jpeg

@JoeQ

https://www.hornbach.ch/de/p/aquarienunterlage-80x35x0-6-cm/10241375/

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 6:31 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

I got my first platy yesterday! A pregnant golden female (I’m trying to justify paying 10 bucks for her). 

but a pH of 7.6 out of the tap, and that it’s pretty hard

these two things should work very well together. Hopefully you'll get some fry soon!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 5:38 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Hopefully 🤞. Do you do anything to maximize fry yield? 

overfeed, but i do that whether or not im getting platy fry...😁

Ive found in the past that the female does not care about eating her own fry (at least for a few hours), so isolation before birth seems to work well.

Live foods help as well.

Edited by GoofyGarra

Absolutely perfect! Being American I didn't even know aquarium mats were a thing!

Here would be our in country equivalent!

https://www.saltwateraquarium.com/leveling-rubber-mat-diy-kit-48-x-24-innovative-marine/

Edit : also on amazon here, https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Marine-DIY-Self-Leveling/dp/B01CR9AKVU?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Edited by JoeQ
Link
  • Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 8:33 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

The other day when I was looking at rimless tanks, it said that a mat was included with them (and is necessary).

First I've heard of them, but then again rimless tanks aren't as big in American as they are over seas. It seams as if, rimless tanks are highly likely to break if small amounts of debris get underneath, hence the need for a mat. There are pleanty of youtube videos if you search "aquarium mat". 

Edited by JoeQ

On 10/17/2023 at 8:39 AM, JoeQ said:

First I've heard of them, but then again rimless tanks aren't as big in American as they are over seas. It seams as if rimless are highly likely to breaking if small amounts of debris get under underneath, hence the need for a mat. There are pleanty of youtube videos if you search "aquarium mat". 

I think rimless tanks look beautiful, but I don't trust them.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 8:42 AM, JoeQ said:

Exactly! Plus I don't like an open tank. 

A lot come with clear lids, but I notice a bunch of people on YouTube that don't use them.  Not only can fish, shrimp, and snails escape, but also the hobbyists are making their heaters work overtime to maintain temp, thus reducing the life of their heaters.

I like rimmed tanks because they are rectangular and give fish more swimming room. It's not natural for fish to swim up & down [very much]. They should be allowed the most space to swim left and right.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 10/17/2023 at 8:50 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

A lot come with clear lids, but I notice a bunch of people on YouTube that don't use them.  Not only can fish, shrimp, and snails escape, but also the hobbyists are making their heaters work overtime to maintain temp, thus reducing the life of their heaters.

I like rimmed tanks because they are rectangular and give fish more swimming room. It's not natural for fish to swim up & down [very much]. They should be allowed the most space to swim left and right.

Agreed, my only complaint with rimmed tanks is I can't for the life of me figure out why it has to be black! They should at least use clear for the top cross braces..... Ugggggg so annoying 😮‍💨

Gold WCMM spawn!! I’m starting to run out of tank space for fry. 🫠IMG_4038.jpeg.43ca6ee6fb46063b935ff5adcfb179b1.jpegIMG_4039.jpeg.ce8042de96ab25196f013cf799d62a4d.jpeg

I think I may have had eggs from them before, but they look a lot like the sand in most of my tanks. 
It's so hard not to drain the tank with the glow light wrigglers in because my brain tells me that if I can’t see anything, there’s nothing and logic tells me that I’ve seen some, so they are there. 
Hence me trying another technique: the egg trap. It’s basically a little moss container with some plastic mesh and some yarn. 🧶 I’m feeding some BBS tonight, so there should be a spawn in the morning. The question demurs: Will it be glowlight tetra eggs, black phantoms, or both? Have a nice day! IMG_4052.jpeg.d41aa30ef4dc86c30436e754d6b0034d.jpeg

• Love 1