Patrick’s Puffer Page

This will be a journal for our family’s new Green spotted puffer. I’ve wanted to get one for over a year now. Last October my Daughter asked for one for her 18th birthday present. We didn’t get the tank set for a few months and then spent a few more months getting it cycled. 
Here are a few pics to kick off the thread. I’m not responsible if anyone dies because of all the cuteness! 

D940FBA9-039A-4DEC-A6B8-D8F092AC8CE6.jpeg

4CBCA89B-B67C-4C49-A982-168368E1C208.jpeg

4DC4DCD1-BB02-436C-9E8E-FB87CFA65DAB.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 14

Nice puff you have there! Glad to see that there are still LFS's that are able to carry them and sell them in good condition! 

The only complaint I have for you is there is no round belly picture posted from a "welcome to your new home" meal 😂

• Like 1

On 5/16/2022 at 1:08 PM, Tihshho said:

Nice puff you have there! Glad to see that there are still LFS's that are able to carry them and sell them in good condition! 

The only complaint I have for you is there is no round belly picture posted from a "welcome to your new home" meal 😂

I just fed him his first snail meal. I wasn’t quick enough to get a video, but he definitely knows what to do with a snail! 

• Love 2

On 5/16/2022 at 4:42 PM, Guppysnail said:

As long as it is the circle of life I’m good with it. My excess I take to a small mom n pop gets sold as puffer, loach etc food. He is a cutie pie. 

We are a very snail friendly family and my wife says her snails are off limits. And “Hermie” is most definitely off limits!

BFC827A3-9F8C-4A76-8563-302CBCE5F663.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1
  • Love 6

On 5/17/2022 at 3:46 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Welcome to the Puffer family! He is simply adorable, and aware of the camera in a funny way!  Does he/she have a name yet? 🐡

His Name is El Globo. Globo is Spanish for balloon and for puffer fish. I got the idea after watching Cory’s trip to Peru. After many days they finally caught some South American puffers and the whole gave was shouting “globo!” 

We know he might be a she but both my daughter and I feel like he's a male. 

• Like 1

The 

On 5/16/2022 at 1:08 PM, Tihshho said:

0EFAA88E-7ACC-4EDA-9231-9DC403D755B1.jpeg.31334328beccbcd77de2ea6c3b9d730d.jpeg
The kid knows how to eat. He must have been fed on pest snails at the LFS. He clearly knows that bladder and pond snails are easy to crunch, but he waits for me to help with the mini ramshorns. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 5/18/2022 at 8:17 AM, Patrick_G said:

The kid knows how to eat. He must have been fed on pest snails at the LFS. He clearly knows that bladder and pond snails are easy to crunch, but he waits for me to help with the mini ramshorns. 

Ahh, the signs of a good puffer! She is adorable, indeed. I think Globe suits her, of course, coming from the person who has a girl Corydoras named Archibald Spooner and a boy anemone named Ursula Flerken. 🐡

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• 5 weeks later...

Globo is doing ok, we didn't do the med trio when we brought him home and I'm sort of regretting that. We think he looking a bit skinny despite all the snails and frozen blood worms that he eats. I think I'll start a course of dewormer just in case. 

My other regret is not cycling the tank as a high brackish or full Marine. It's going to take many months to raise the salinity one water change at a time and there is still the chance that the cycle will stall as the salinity rises. 

I am happy about this new video from Sabrina at BeFishy. Check out the great footage of GSP habitat. I think it's the only footage of its kind on Youtube. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/18/2022 at 12:56 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I hope the meds help! 🐡 Poor little Globo...

We not absolutely sure there's anything wrong but we’re so new to the brackish and puffer world that every little thing seems like a potential problem. 

• 3 weeks later...

Well Globo is about to get a second dose of Paracleanse. At this point I’m starting to get worried. He really looks skinny compared to when I brought him home. His belly is darker and there are dark patches on his sides.  I’ll put in a package of purigen to remove any remaining meds and then add the second dose.

@Colu, I’d like to hear your thoughts on deworming puffers. @Zenzo and other brackish puffer keepers, I’d love some advice. 

salinity is at 1.01, I’ll dip a strip and post parameters and get pics this morning. 

• Administrators

@Patrick_G I ended up having to run two doses of Expel-P through one of my brackish puffers (my figure 8). I would suggest giving that a try, as the Paracleanse may not be enough. Did I also see that your salinity is at 1.01 (and not 1.001)? Maybe try dropping down to around 1.006 or so to see if that changes anything. 1.010 should be fine, but it could be worth a try if it was kept in fresh water and you raised the specific gravity by .10 (maybe too much, too soon?). 

On 7/8/2022 at 10:36 AM, Zenzo said:

@Patrick_G I ended up having to run two doses of Expel-P through one of my brackish puffers (my figure 8). I would suggest giving that a try, as the Paracleanse may not be enough. Did I also see that your salinity is at 1.01 (and not 1.001)? Maybe try dropping down to around 1.006 or so to see if that changes anything. 1.010 should be fine, but it could be worth a try if it was kept in fresh water and you raised the specific gravity by .10 (maybe too much, too soon?). 

That was going to be my question. The salinity jump seems like quite a lot. 🐡

• Like 1