Hello everyone!

Nyssa

I'm pretty new to the hobby, but also not really at the same time. I've kept goldfish and bettas before when I was younger, as I'm sure many of us have, in less than ideal conditions. This is my first real attempt at fish keeping.

Initially I was too afraid to even start up on this hobby because of past experiences, and I was afraid that history was going to repeat itself. But luckily with the vast amount of information that I've gotten from Aquarium Co-op and other fishtubers, I've had nothing but success since I started up my first tank back in October.

I started off by having my second-hand 55 gallon tank set up with just plants/easy green to get everything started and waited until I was growing algae to make my way down to my LFS. I went in expecting to build the tank from the bottom up by getting cory catfish and going from there. But when I walked in, I was immediately drawn to the platy tank and fell head over heels with their antics and personality. I just had to have them! Since then, they've popped out some fry, they're about three weeks old and a lot of them have survived thanks to the plant cover. I've also gotten two bristlenose plecos and 6 albino corys to really get the ecosystem going. This tank is lovingly called the goober tank, they're all so active and lively, they make me giddy like a little kid in a candy store 😄  It's really hard to get a picture of all of them at the same time, but here's three out of the four platys during feeding time. Also my water sprite is an absolute monster, I can't believe that this is the same plant that I ordered back in October LOL

IMG_1926.jpg.fbd8e8d07a9cb09ff8db9c1c6921cd71.jpg

Only two weeks ago I also started up a new betta tank, the proper way this time. I got a 5 gallon starter kit, ordered some more plants/borrowed my monster water sprite from my other tank, and got some cutesy little decorations. Normally with a betta tank I would have just the floating betta log and a fake plant or two, so trying out a betta tank with live plants is super exciting to me. I found that the flow on the kit that I got was too strong, so I googled how to reduce the flow of an aquarium filter and was brought right to Girl Talks Fish, and borrowed the water bottle idea which has worked swimmingly 🙂 

I ended up putting my old betta tank into storage after seeing how tiny it was, maybe I can use it as an emergency hospital tank in a pinch. But I wouldn't keep a fish in there long term again. Seeing how happy my little dude is in his new home makes me realize that they really thrive in bigger tanks. He has so much more room to swim and his personality is really starting to shine.

IMG_1890.jpg.34b5363e246d63910ec66db70a94233e.jpg

I've been lurking for a while now, but I'm very happy to be here, and I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone!

• Like 9
  • Love 3

On 1/4/2022 at 4:48 PM, JMiller2020 said:

Nice tanks and welcome to forum.  New here as well

On 1/4/2022 at 5:10 PM, Colu said:

Welcome to the forum nice tanks

Thank you! ☺️  It's really nice to hear that my tanks look nice. I'm my own worst critic I guess, because I really wasn't expecting this response 😅

On 1/4/2022 at 11:49 PM, CalmedByFish said:

The description of the goober tank made me smile. 🙂 I'm glad things are going well!

Welcome. 

These little fish make me so happy, they each have their own little personalities, like little people in scale coats. I ordered an ottoman so I can sit by the tank instead of straining my back as I inevitably bend down to stand there for 20 minutes at a time 🤣  & thank you!

On 1/5/2022 at 12:34 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Looks like you've done it good this time around! (Yes, yes most of us have done it wrong at some point) 🙃 Mostly unknowingly I'm sure. Welcome to the forum!

I suppose we all start somewhere, huh? 🙃  Thank you!

On 1/5/2022 at 1:09 PM, lefty o said:

welcome aboard.

On 1/5/2022 at 2:04 PM, zelibeli said:

Nice tanks! and welcome! 

Thank you!! Happy to be here ☺️

On 1/5/2022 at 2:23 PM, Griznatch said:

Welcome to the forum, seating/viewing arrangements are just as important as the rest of the hardware 🙂

My back will thank me for sure 🤣  yet another expense you never consider when budgeting for these things!

On 1/5/2022 at 7:08 PM, Atitagain said:

Welcome to the forum, platys are amazing their always so active.

They really are, they're so much fun to watch and interact with. They have such colorful personalities 🥰

On 1/6/2022 at 10:42 AM, Guppysnail said:

Welcome. I’m terribly envious of your old man face tree. I wanted one so bad but when I went to the store they were sold out so I settled on something else. I’m glad your here now I can admire it vicariously 😁

It gives me LoTR vibes, I loved the ents 😄 you'll be seeing it around, that's for sure haha

On 1/6/2022 at 4:35 PM, Torrey said:

Welcome to the forum, your aquarium images are great! I suspect that just like anything else, we learned the most valuable lessons when we did it wrong, and our fish benefit now from the mistakes we made then.

Thank you! & yeah, I'm definitely learned my lesson many a time over the years 🙃 It comes with the territory I guess when you're taking care of animals. Nowadays there are so many resources and fonts of knowledge out there, so we're always learning!

• Like 1