Substrate opinions?

I’m sure there’s as many opinions on this as there are on plants and fish but what is everyone’s favorite substrate?

I’m using large gravel with fluval stratum. My next tanks going to be a mix of fine gravel, sand, and something like fluval but with out the balls. My Kuhlis love digging to much. 

Hi @Imhicks101

On 12/22/2021 at 5:13 PM, lmhicks101 said:

I’m sure there’s as many opinions on this as there are on plants and fish but what is everyone’s favorite substrate?

I’m using large gravel with fluval stratum. My next tanks going to be a mix of fine gravel, sand, and something like fluval but with out the balls. My Kuhlis love digging to much. 

Hi @Imhicks101

Why use layers of substrate?  I've been doing planted tanks for 13+ years and have never layered or mixed substrates.  I have used natural gravel (aka Cemex lapis lustre sand), Soilmaster Select Charcoal (discontinued), Turface Pro League Grey, Safe-t-sorb, and HTH Pool Filter Sand and I have had good results with all of them.  Soilmaster Select, Turface, and Safe-t-sorb are all calcined (fired) montmorillonite clay products with high cation exchange capacities (CEC) and large amounts of potassium and micro-nutrients which plants can access through their root systems..  In addition the high CEC of calcined clay allows the substrate to absorb nutrients from the water column and make them available to plant roots in the substrate.

You can buy a 40# bag of Safe-t-sorb for $42 on Amazon or do what I do and go to Tractor Supply Company (several in the Seattle area) and buy the same 40# bag for $7.29 (currently on sale normally $11). Here is a link on one of the high tech tanks I did with Safe-T-Sorb and a picture of the 10 gallon low tech tank I did below. Hope this helps! -Roy

https://www.plantedtank.net/threads/a-45-gallon-high-a-saxa-tilly-inspired-tank.1301089/#post-11283643

spacer.png
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

On 12/22/2021 at 6:36 PM, lmhicks101 said:

@Seattle_Aquarist Your tank is gorgeous! My only thing is, this next tank is going to be built specifically for Kuhlis or Dojos. So I was going for a substrate that's not rough and they can burrow in. How often do you use root tabs?

Hi Imhicks101, 

I use one Osmocote Plus size "00" capsule per 10 gallons once every five (5) weeks.

I also do the same for my 75 gallon with HTH Pool Filter Sand.  Why HTH?  Because it is >99% silicone dioxide with not pieces of shell or limestone (both are calcium carbonate) to increase hardness or pH.  In addition it doesn't compact like regular sand but stays 'loose'.  Best of all if it looks 'dirty' I just siphon off the top 1/4" and add fresh sand.  -Roy

75 gallon with HTH Pool Filter Sand and Osmocote Plus Root tabs
spacer.png

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
  • Like 3

I've been reusing the same aquarium gravel for decades, so I guess that is my favorite. I also use pea gravel or pool filter sand in different tanks.  While water parameters are almost identical, Stocking and lighting conditions are so different that it is hard to tell which is "best".  The Safe-t-sorb that @Seattle_Aquarist talks about looks like a viable option for a future redo.

@Seattle_Aquarist  How long does the Safe-t-sorb last before it breaks down?   Do you think it is usable with a  UGF?

@Seattle_Aquarist thank you for the advise on HTH. I redid my tank just now with it and absolutely love it. I’m using the Aquarium Coop tabs right now but would you recommend switching to the osmocote ones? I ran out of tabs with this tank so need new ones now. Is the screenshot from Amazon a good deal for it? 

418EA29B-5DF4-4545-9CBD-EDE1BF0B0ABD.jpeg

241D3C4D-8CA7-48A5-A5B2-6607150D1D53.jpeg

FC407085-66ED-4B2D-BCD3-73608E0963C1.jpeg

Edited by lmhicks101
  • Like 1

I also use osmocote for my planted tank but I place the individual pearls into the substrate rather than in a pill capsule. Though if you are going with pill capsules, it is often cheaper to buy the capsules and osmocote to make it yourself.

I only grow anubias and bucephalandra really so I one under the larger plants about 4 months apart. I also dose a lean fertilizer in the water column. My friend who has a Dutch planted Aquarium puts them 1-2 inches apart every three months like most people

Speaking as a total newbie, but..

I am using a mixture of Caribsea gravels. They are easy to plant in and seem to keep the plants down well. Easy to gravel vac without making a mess or sucking them up. Debris and poop blend in due to the color variations. Looks super natural.

Carib Sea Peace River & Carib Sea Rio Grande were a nice mixture.

On 12/24/2021 at 1:17 PM, Tanked said:

The Safe-t-sorb that @Seattle_Aquarist talks about looks like a viable option for a future redo.

@Seattle_Aquarist  How long does the Safe-t-sorb last before it breaks down?   Do you think it is usable with a  UGF?

Hi @Tanked  Safe-t-sorb (STS) lasts about 3 years or more before starting to break down.  Because it is so inexpensive I use the old STS in my garden as a soil additive and use new each time I tear down a tank.  I used STS with several tank set-up that had undergravel filters (UGF); I am a little 'old school' having had tanks for over 50 years. -Roy spacer.png

On 12/24/2021 at 3:43 PM, lmhicks101 said:

@Seattle_Aquarist thank you for the advise on HTH. I redid my tank just now with it and absolutely love it. I’m using the Aquarium Coop tabs right now but would you recommend switching to the osmocote ones? I ran out of tabs with this tank so need new ones now. Is the screenshot from Amazon a good deal for it? 

241D3C4D-8CA7-48A5-A5B2-6607150D1D53.jpeg

FC407085-66ED-4B2D-BCD3-73608E0963C1.jpeg

• Thanks 1

On 12/24/2021 at 3:43 PM, lmhicks101 said:

Hi @IMHicks101, that is a good price if you are not paying shipping.  I typically purchase mine on Ebay.  Because some of the nitrogen in Osmocote Plus comes from ammonium nitrate be sure to place the at the bottom of the substrate, hopefully with 2"+ of substrate above them.  U used to have a very difficult time placing my capsules deep enough but I came up with a tool that helps.  Boricap applicators for "00" capsules; btw they are re-usable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1NJOIF?ref=vse_pfo_vdp

@Seattle_Aquarist I'm looking for Safe-t-sorb in our Central NY Tractor Supply stores. Do you have an item number or does Tractor Supply spell the name differently?  How much would I need for a 10 gallon tank? How about a 55 gallon tank? How deep do you usually have the SAFE-T-SORB?  Do you cover it with pebbles, or is it on the surface in the wonderful photo?

Thanks so much !  I am going to be planting my first tank soon.

On 12/28/2021 at 1:05 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@Seattle_Aquarist I'm looking for Safe-t-sorb in our Central NY Tractor Supply stores. Do you have an item number or does Tractor Supply spell the name differently?  How much would I need for a 10 gallon tank? How about a 55 gallon tank? How deep do you usually have the SAFE-T-SORB?  Do you cover it with pebbles, or is it on the surface in the wonderful photo?

Thanks so much !  I am going to be planting my first tank soon.

Hi @KittenFishMom

Maybe this link to Tractor Supply will help your search:
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/ep-minerals-safety-absorbent

I
typically use just the Safe-t-sorb with no other materials in the substrate.; usually about 2-1/2 inches deep.  That way when I use the DIY Osmocote Plus root tabs at the bottom of the 1-1/2 inches most of the nutrients stay in the substrate and don't leach out into the water column.  -Roy

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist

@Seattle_Aquarist My husband will be picking up a bag of the Safe-t-sorb tomorrow.  I ordered osmocote plus 8 lbs bag on Amazon for $11, It is normally close to $28.9, and 1,000 empty 00 capsules.  Filling the capsules should prove interesting with a cat and a kitten trying to be helpful.

I have never planted a tank before. Do I need to soak the Sate-T-Sorb, or do anything special before I add plants and or water to the tank?  How long should it sit with water before I can add snail or scuds or fish? I think I will be using a sponge filter, or 2.

Thank you so much for getting me started.

Edited by KittenFishMom

@KittenFishMom not sure about safe-t-sorb as I’ve never used it but with any other substrate you should give it a once over rinde to remove small particles that will cloud your water so I imagine this is the same. 

If you’ve never planted a tank before I would recommend watching multiple scraping videos to get an understanding of how far to plant them in the substrate. Definitely do your research as some plants need more light then others. Some need more nutrients. Some need on rocks and not planted at all. I truly recommend getting a nice pair of scraping scissors and tweazers. They will become an extension of your arm in that tank.

this YouTuber makes some of the most beautiful tanks that are set up really simple  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=37GntJo93ec

Good luck and enjoy. Plants have honestly become more interesting to me then fish lately and every time I go to the store for anything I’m always at the planted section “just looking”. 

Edited by lmhicks101

I switched my Fluval Stratum tanks to play sand because it made changing the plant placement a nightmare.  I now have a very thin layer of sand that never gets vacuumed, and the mulm fertilizes the plants. Corys do a great job at keeping it clean. I use ferts sparingly and only when I think they are necessary (about once every four months or so). All tanks are heavily planted.

PXL_20211207_200435611_MP.jpg.8e5873219c724b5ad41e7482fd69eb1b.jpg

1378718214_totm.tff(1).jpg.1b8b828e3e8448e923109067202263c0.jpg

1763104902_PXL_20210820_172607774(1).jpg.cd3187d283ab857371f2a2baefbd85a0.jpg

• Love 3

On 12/30/2021 at 6:47 PM, KittenFishMom said:

@eatyourpeas How do you get the duck weed to grow so well? Mine is not multiplying. I have it in a tank with HOB and another tank with just a sponge filters, Also a few buckets. 

It does not like surface agitation, so I put it on the quiet area of the tank. They are my indicator of critter waste and ammonia to be consumed, so I clear most of it with every water change. Secret is in the poo, I guess... 😳

• Like 2