Substrate opinions?

On 2/18/2022 at 12:49 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @tarazzl29

Plants need sufficient light, nutrients (including a carbon source), and acceptable water parameters to grow.  I don't think that just adding CO2 would guarantee that you could get Eleocharis (harigrass) in a tank no matter what substrate is being used.  What I said was I could not grow Eleocharis in tanks without CO2, possibly others have but not me.  -Roy

I see. I just got a bag of hairgrass from Etsy. I am going to try germinating them before putting them in the tank with your input in mind. Fingers crossed.  Thank you! 🙂

On 2/18/2022 at 9:35 AM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @anewbie

I agree, I am not aware of a high CEC substrate that would work with sand-sifters like Geophagus sp. however I have kept Apistogramma sp. in tanks with Safe-t-sorb with no issues whatsoever including breeding.  -Roy

My old A. cacatuoides 'Triple Red'

961857499_2012-07-2810Gallon007CroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.6f4437c67b783a2bebedfc8bb2b75247.jpg

I think it depends on the species - some species of apisto are closer to earth eaters than others.  Anyway i like the look of that stuff for larger fishes - it is sort of a cheap eco-complete but maybe wee bit finer. However for the aquariums i'm setting up next year (pair of 400); I think I need something finer. I guess play sand would be the cheap option but it lacks the benefits of cec. I

• Like 1

On 2/18/2022 at 11:25 AM, anewbie said:

I think it depends on the species - some species of apisto are closer to earth eaters than others.  Anyway i like the look of that stuff for larger fishes - it is sort of a cheap eco-complete but maybe wee bit finer. However for the aquariums i'm setting up next year (pair of 400); I think I need something finer. I guess play sand would be the cheap option but it lacks the benefits of cec. I

Hi @anewbie,

Play sand may be fine if it doesn't contain shell pieces or pieces of limestone, both of which can increase pH and hardness.  For a truly inert sand I use HTH Pool Filter Sand ($11.00/50#) that is >99% silicone dioxide with a very uniform grain size.  Also I find it doesn't compact as badly as regular 'sand' does.  When it starts to look 'dirty' I siphon off 1/8" off the top and add handfuls of new rinsed sand.  I don't rinse it when I set up a tanks and it doesn't cloud the water if I don't disturb the substrate when filling. -Roy

1608947692_2021-09-2375GallonDiscus(5)CroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.d8dbe671fb887c23cab893bd05a67dab.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/18/2022 at 1:52 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @anewbie,

Play sand may be fine if it doesn't contain shell pieces or pieces of limestone, both of which can increase pH and hardness.  For a truly inert sand I use HTH Pool Filter Sand ($11.00/50#) that is >99% silicone dioxide with a very uniform grain size.  Also I find it doesn't compact as badly as regular 'sand' does.  When it starts to look 'dirty' I siphon off 1/8" off the top and add handfuls of new rinsed sand.  I don't rinse it when I set up a tanks and it doesn't cloud the water if I don't disturb the substrate when filling. -Roy

1608947692_2021-09-2375GallonDiscus(5)CroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.d8dbe671fb887c23cab893bd05a67dab.jpg

That looks pretty decent for the ram/geo tank I will setup.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/6/2022 at 2:24 PM, lmhicks101 said:

2 months after switching from fluval stratum to HTH and now using the home made capsules this is what my tank looks like.

Here’s a before and after. I’m loving this. m86DFF559-3669-4A5B-842E-536F8AC9D836.jpeg

179F30B0-5541-4E3F-ACC7-B69AC24A807E.jpeg

Hi @Imhicks101, Did you change your lights, filter, photoperiod?  Did you see a reduction in the amount of algae that you have to clean periodically?  -Roy

@Seattle_Aquarist I didn't change much. Same Fluval 3.0 light with the same pro light spectrum. I'm using the Thrive C with 6 pumps twice a day. The only thing that's changed is I switched to 3 of the fert pearl filled tabs you guys suggested and the sand. I did add the ludwigia and a couple new Pink flamingos in the front.  The scarlets are in the old tank too but behind the log.

I had a big spike in black beard algae last month which before I had just a little patches of green spot algae. I just kept plucking it off and got a few amono shrimp and now just a small spot of green algae on the moss on the log. All in all I'm happy.

Edited by lmhicks101
  • Like 1