What do you like least about maintaining an aquarium?

Jeff

I have a wet bar right next to my 75 gallon, but it has the weird wet bar faucet threads and I haven’t found a fitting to attach my hose to it. So my least favorite thing is dragging the hose from the guest bath down the hall to my tank. My wife’s least favorite thing is me leaving the hose in the shower stall after I’m done with it. 

• Haha 1
  • Love 1

My only problem with aquarium maintenance is that I’m only doing it on a 40 breeder, a 10 gallon, and a 40 gallon pond. I look forward to the day I’m doing maintenance on a few 300 gallon aquariums and a full very large ponds. I enjoy maintenance, I just wish I had more of it. 😎🐡🐟🐋

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 10/5/2021 at 11:39 AM, CalmedByFish said:

Any chance a HOB (or 45 per tank) could make your life easier?

It really is not that hard just incredibly awkward and messy. I use 1-2 or 3 hobs on everything except mom n dad pleco tank and pleco grow out to avoid canisters or extremely large hobs I struggle with

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 11:28 AM, DannyBWell said:

Cleaning my HOB filters, particularly turning them back on after you've cleaned out the filter media and all that nasty water goes into the aquarium.

I'm a bit confused on this one. Maybe I can help.

Nasty water shouldn't go back into the aquarium. I put all my media into water I pull out via water change. I squeeze them out in said water, and then go to clean the HOB.

When I clean my HOB, I rinse it all out in tap water, and get into some nooks and crannies with some tooth brushes. After that's all emptied out and rinsed, I put it back on my aquarium. 

Then, I use a solo cup take more water from the aquarium, and fill up the hob, with the media that is in the water change water.

No nasty water back into the aquarium that way....

• Like 2

I did not expect this to be my answer, but… choosing broodstock. I thought I would really enjoy picking out which fish I want to keep and breed, and which to sell. NOPE. Instead I spend obscene amounts of time just staring at the fish trying to decide which of the tiny minute differences even matter to me—and the fish are stressed so their colors are off, too—and then once I decide, trying to catch my target before I get it mixed up with everyone else again. Then I second-guess myself and re-stare at everything. It feels very high stakes, and that combined with how long it takes and how impossible the decisions seem, makes it all super stressful. And 95% of the time I’m just staring! So on top of everything else, it’s boring! 😝 (Just to be clear: staring at fish in a relaxing way is fun.)

• Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 9:21 PM, Jeff said:

I'm a bit confused on this one. Maybe I can help.

Nasty water shouldn't go back into the aquarium. I put all my media into water I pull out via water change. I squeeze them out in said water, and then go to clean the HOB.

When I clean my HOB, I rinse it all out in tap water, and get into some nooks and crannies with some tooth brushes. After that's all emptied out and rinsed, I put it back on my aquarium. 

Then, I use a solo cup take more water from the aquarium, and fill up the hob, with the media that is in the water change water.

No nasty water back into the aquarium that way....

This is how I do this. It also allows (I use Aqua clears) to twist the motor off and clean the impeller compartment). I rubber band a baggie over the intake and prefilter before lifting it out as well. 

I have guppies too so not filling the baggie or opening it before I am near the intake keeps them out. 

Other than that which shall not be named, I have to go with algae removal from the glass lids on the 75.  It isn't physically difficult, but remembering to drain the water from the hinges and being super careful not to bump anything gets tedious.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 7:36 AM, Tanked said:

Other than that which shall not be named, I have to go with algae removal from the glass lids on the 75.  It isn't physically difficult, but remembering to drain the water from the hinges and being super careful not to bump anything gets tedious.

amazing how much water gets in the hinge.

On 10/4/2021 at 9:21 PM, Griznatch said:

I catch them at night after they have been asleep for like 3 or more hours, and use a good flashlight. They are already kind of in stasis, the light freezes them in place. By the time they figure out what's up, they are in the net.  Caught a school of neons and kubotais in a fully planted 75 and 55 that way. I'd use a traps on bottom dwellers though.

1. This is brilliant 

2. I love every time you comment and I see "duckweed is nerm glitter" [total **squee** moment]

3. My solution for catching fish in a heavily planted/scaped tank is to rinse blackworms in my mesh strainer, leaving a few inside the mesh, and then allowing the fish to swim into the strainer to get the blackworms. 

I move the whole strainer to a bucket, select the fish I need, and then return everyone else to the aquarium. 

• Like 2

On 10/6/2021 at 8:36 AM, Tanked said:

Oooooh. Good one! Very annoying and hard to reach places. I'll clean my lids top to bottom, left to right, every which way one week. They look almost brand new.

A few days later, there's an INSANE amount of crud in the hinges, around the handle - everywhere. And I'm super careful about not putting food on there, etc.

I just don't get it.

• Like 3

On 10/6/2021 at 9:58 AM, lefty o said:

amazing how much water gets in the hinge.

Considering how tightly the hinges hug the glass, it is amazing.  Thinking about it just now, I was wondering if it would be worthwhile  to remove the hinge and drill weep holes in the center

• Like 1

On 10/5/2021 at 11:27 AM, Patrick_G said:

I have a wet bar right next to my 75 gallon, but it has the weird wet bar faucet threads and I haven’t found a fitting to attach my hose to it. So my least favorite thing is dragging the hose from the guest bath down the hall to my tank. My wife’s least favorite thing is me leaving the hose in the shower stall after I’m done with it. 

What you need is a dishwasher aerator adapter. It has dual thread inside and out for the aerator, and it has hose thread on the outside  image.jpg.93164cc2c8ae6d3a115b540c3ec16b58.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 9:46 AM, DwayneA said:

One of the ones I haven't seen mentioned yet is trying to balance lighting and ferts in a planted tank. I always struggle with it.

I think everyone struggles to maintain balance in a planted tank.  The sweet spot tends to move over time.  My 10gal. project tank is almost zero maintenance, and balanced.  I don't know why.  I do know that at some point, something will change...

• Like 2

On 10/7/2021 at 9:36 AM, Tanked said:

I think everyone struggles to maintain balance in a planted tank.  The sweet spot tends to move over time.  My 10gal. project tank is almost zero maintenance, and balanced.  I don't know why.  I do know that at some point, something will change...

The only constant is change itself.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 10/7/2021 at 2:32 PM, HandymanMatt said:

Shaking and waiting on the API liquid tests.  trying to remember which bottle to shake, for how long, then "does the vail get shaken for a minute?" its all non sense!

Yeah, that is irritating. I think I need a cheat sheet so I don’t have to break out the instructions every time I do a test. 

• Like 2