What’s the most you have payed for a fish?

Endler enthusiast

On 10/1/2021 at 4:28 PM, Torrey said:

The most I ever spent was on a proven breeding pair of discus, in the 90's.

$300 for the pair😬

I was young, dumb... and full of ideas on breeding. 

While discus can be acclimated to hard water, the eggs absolutely will not hatch if the water is not acidic enough, or soft enough. 

Period.

Eventually I figured it out. There was no forum back then...

Oh no! But that honestly reminds me of myself currently, I have so many ideas and not enough space or money to see them through. I’ve decided I’m going to start out with two dedicated breeding tanks (for one colony) and then build upon it after I make money from the first set up

On 10/1/2021 at 4:42 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

I paid $35 for a pair of Borelli apistogramma that did not make it past the first week 😞Thats the most I have ever spent on a fish, I however find that some of the more cheap unpopular varieties can be a lot more rewarding then some of the more expensive ones. 

Oh no! I hate when that happens, sometimes there is a reason why certain fish are more expensive than others

On 10/1/2021 at 4:45 PM, Mack said:

Oh no! I hate when that happens, sometimes there is a reason why certain fish are more expensive than others

Yeah, interestingly though I also purchased one rainbow goby which is supposed to be much harder to care for (I did not know this at the time) and put it in the same tank and it was perfectly fine. After spending days consulting google I suspect they both had some kind of internal parasite. 

The most expensive fish I've ever bought would probably have to be my first pair of Wyoming White Clownfish. I had my LFS at the time order them direct from C-Quest (the people that developed that morph of clownfish) in 2013, just four years after that morph had been stabilized. I paid $225 per fish (I got a pair), which at the time was extremely cheap, seeing as how they were new to the hobby and directly from the original developer.

I don't have any pics of the original pair left, but I did get another pair of Wyoming White Clownfish in 2019 for a much more reasonable $80 per fish. Unfortunately, I've since lost both of those, too. Designer fish are awesome, but can just be so finnicky.

gwnqId5.jpg

Edited by Chris
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 10/1/2021 at 4:52 PM, Chris said:

The most expensive fish I've ever bought would probably have to be my first pair of Wyoming White Clownfish. I had my LFS at the time order them direct from C-Quest (the people that developed that morph of clownfish) in 2013, just four years after that morph had been stabilized. I paid $225 per fish (I got a pair), which at the time was extremely cheap, seeing as how they were new to the hobby and directly from the original developer.

I don't have any pics of the original pair left, but I did get another pair of Wyoming White Clownfish in 2019 for a much more reasonable $80 per fish. Unfortunately, I've since lost both of those, too. Designer fish are awesome, but can just be so finnicky.

gwnqId5.jpg

Oh my clownfish!!! I love these little guys, I don’t have a saltwater tank (I did consider it a few times) but whenever I go to my lfs I always admire every clownfish in stock. I’m sorry you lost them they were beautiful lil’ guys!

On 10/1/2021 at 5:36 PM, Mack said:

That sound both expensive, and beautiful. I wish you and your fish a long future together

Nice, apistos sure are beautiful fish, hopefully you can get a spawn from them!

That is a gorgeous discus!! He is so vibrant. 

So, Noah got back to me and informed me that he won’t expect to have any up for sale for another 6 months, so he sent me over to Amy’s best fish. They aren’t the red type, but they are available.

Oof, that is quite a wait. Those are some handsome Endler's that Amy has as well, but I'd hold out. Those little fishes are good at exponential math, I'm sure some reds will pop up somewhere before too long. I'll ask around and see if I can give ya a hand.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:48 PM, Indlers said:

Oof, that is quite a wait. Those are some handsome Endler's that Amy has as well, but I'd hold out. Those little fishes are good at exponential math, I'm sure some reds will pop up somewhere before too long. I'll ask around and see if I can give ya a hand.

Thank you! I’m now considering breeding 1975 og’s ($75per fish for breeder pack, because the only other options are the unsexed groups)Id imagine by the time the snakeskin orchid endlers red are available I will have a few more tanks set up.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:40 PM, Blaha said:

I actually don't have an lfs. The lobster came from a petco (now closed) and that leaves me with 2 pet supplies plus, a big and a small one, and a pet smart.

Pet smart has been desolate for several months. The Lace came from the big petsmart, which has a fish focus. About 50% of the store is rows of tanks, but they javent had much recently either. All my current stuff came from the small 10-15 tank pet supplies plus that's just been killing it with their finds. If I had multiple tanks...

They had eels, bichirs, tons of Oscars an chiclids i didnt recognize. They had 3 plecos I've never even heard of. Emperor, rubber lipped, and clown. Not clown bristlenose though, just clown. It was as wide as a few inch long standard pleco but was less than an inch. Its was basically a sphere with a tail fin. They also have had the only angels ive seen in the area since COVID and have consistently had 5-10 different varieties of really cool tetras. I can't have them all though which is sad ha.

But like most chains they struggle with infection and I had to treat my tank good after what I got. Almost everything got hit, but everything survived.

Those are pretty good finds for a petsmart! I’ve never heard of pet supplies plus, probably because they don’t have any in my area 😂 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 7:44 PM, Mack said:

Have you kept hillstream loaches since?

On 10/1/2021 at 7:43 PM, BF McUmber said:

I paid $20 for mine that also did not make it through quarantine. 

What is your quarantine set up? I have never quarantined my fish but I want to start, because about 4 months ago I added 2 new guppies to my fancy guppy tank and they ended up killing about 25 fish.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:47 PM, BF McUmber said:

I have not yet, I will likely grab another one when I get another batch of fish to go through quarantine. I'm only on my second batch of quarantined fish. 

Oh ok, hillstreams are beautiful fish I hope you have great success in your next batches of quarantine fish 

On 10/1/2021 at 10:48 PM, Mack said:

What is your quarantine set up? I have never quarantined my fish but I want to start, because about 4 months ago I added 2 new guppies to my fancy guppy tank and they ended up killing about 25 fish.

I am probably not the best to model after, I am still trying to figure it out. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with a box filter, a sponge filter, some substrate and some rocks in it. Right now I've been leaving the fish in there for 4 weeks and starting them with the med trio. The fish I want are wild caught so I'm more fearful of parasites and such.

There are some other threads here about quarantine processes. You can find some more experienced opinions in those threads. 

On 10/1/2021 at 7:56 PM, BF McUmber said:

I am probably not the best to model after, I am still trying to figure it out. I have a 10 gallon aquarium with a box filter, a sponge filter, some substrate and some rocks in it. Right now I've been leaving the fish in there for 4 weeks and starting them with the med trio. The fish I want are wild caught so I'm more fearful of parasites and such.

There are some other threads here about quarantine processes. You can find some more experienced opinions in those threads. 

Ok I will definitely look into it, thank you

Well I just laid out the most I’ve ever paid - guppies from Guppy Train - 2 trios of full red albino for $160 - they are old enough to sex out but still a month or two from being bred a little older than juveniles. I also got a fry pack of half black purple Moscow’s for $100. He threw in a ton of extras with the HB purples (20 fry) and 2 extra females with the trios but still I was a bit shocked I was willing to do it or that my wife let me. My better half justified it because the LFS keeps begging me for more solid colored guppies every time we go so she feels there will be a return on investment. Now all I have to do is thoroughly qt and medicate them so we can get what we paid for! 7EBE1AE3-8DCB-4922-BFB1-6EC930BA25BF.jpeg.232045be077bdc70c1f1480f082b1701.jpegD8BF4BB2-D0D7-4380-874C-E0FD22C2EBE8.jpeg.5cadf37b770c0cb412f98b9918061e6b.jpegEF07E142-9F87-4C75-B83C-8BF85DEFAC48.jpeg.fe13828a61d751d2f240982d2b8af512.jpeg4A4AAE38-872F-4A41-BCE5-1B8DF3245D34.jpeg.1a9eb3440168d44bb2c176d817a817a1.jpeg94BE8002-6CBB-42E3-8908-F078CD7A6284.jpeg.b4e7639d576e08b9488eb5f1f23b746d.jpeg

764B3868-529F-4031-84BE-159E55AF9B83.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 10:37 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Well I just laid out the most I’ve ever paid - guppies from Guppy Train - 2 trios of full red albino for $160 - they are old enough to sex out but still a month or two from being bred a little older than juveniles. I also got a fry pack of half black purple Moscow’s for $100. He threw in a ton of extras with the HB purples (20 fry) and 2 extra females with the trios but still I was a bit shocked I was willing to do it or that my wife let me. My better half justified it because the LFS keeps begging me for more solid colored guppies every time we go so she feels there will be a return on investment. Now all I have to do is thoroughly qt and medicate them so we can get what we paid for! 7EBE1AE3-8DCB-4922-BFB1-6EC930BA25BF.jpeg.232045be077bdc70c1f1480f082b1701.jpegD8BF4BB2-D0D7-4380-874C-E0FD22C2EBE8.jpeg.5cadf37b770c0cb412f98b9918061e6b.jpegEF07E142-9F87-4C75-B83C-8BF85DEFAC48.jpeg.fe13828a61d751d2f240982d2b8af512.jpeg4A4AAE38-872F-4A41-BCE5-1B8DF3245D34.jpeg.1a9eb3440168d44bb2c176d817a817a1.jpeg94BE8002-6CBB-42E3-8908-F078CD7A6284.jpeg.b4e7639d576e08b9488eb5f1f23b746d.jpeg

764B3868-529F-4031-84BE-159E55AF9B83.jpeg

that is spendy for little buggers. think my worst for guppy's were $27 a pair of dragons at a lfs. those were of breeding age. 

On 10/1/2021 at 10:09 PM, Mack said:

Thank you! I’m now considering breeding 1975 og’s ($75per fish for breeder pack, because the only other options are the unsexed groups)Id imagine by the time the snakeskin orchid endlers red are available I will have a few more tanks set up.

Not a bad idea either! I haven't turned up much on the reds just yet, but someone else suggested Amy lol They also had the bright idea of emailing her to see if she had any leads on someone who might have a colony who could unload a few. Might be worth a shot. I did find a guy who said he just got some recently, asked where he acquired them and he hasn't gotten back to me just yet, so I'm chalking it up to a slim maybe. I'll let you know what he says though.

Japanese imported koi and coral for a reef tank is where the serious money is these days in aquariums. It's not hard to spend ten thousand dollars or more for a single koi/coral frag. Collectors are crazy people and a lot of them seem to have more money than brains. 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 9:49 AM, Daniel said:

Cheers erupted in the room when the hammer went down

And tears from your wallet?

I've not yet spent that much on fish, but I order mine online.  So, I've cleared $250 for an order.  But it was several fish.  Still haven't spent more on fish than the setups. 

• Love 1

On 10/2/2021 at 12:18 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Nearly paid 450 for a Purple Frilly Frondosa. I was so very tempted. (actual fish not pictured)

tempFileForShare_20211002-0019331.jpg

That sure is an intricate fish! Hopefully you both have a long future together.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:24 PM, s1_ said:

$50

PXL_20210707_212208631.jpg

He is gorgeous!

On 10/2/2021 at 7:58 AM, H.K.Luterman said:

It's hard to remember but I recall paying $20 for one of my bettas a few years ago. Just a Ye Olde Petco betta, but it was one of the large "King" ones.

For inverts, I recently bought 10 Bloody Mary neos (my fav!) for $5 each, which is pretty pricey for neocaradina I think.

At my lfs I buy painted shrimp for 3 for ten, but the in last batch I purchased (6 shrimp) many of the females were berried, so now I probably have around 25 shrimp that I know of. I love how quickly they can multiply!

On 10/2/2021 at 5:59 AM, gardenman said:

Japanese imported koi and coral for a reef tank is where the serious money is these days in aquariums. It's not hard to spend ten thousand dollars or more for a single koi/coral frag. Collectors are crazy people and a lot of them seem to have more money than brains. 

Yeah… I know a guy who went to coral auctions almost every week. He’s spent more money on his 29 gal reef tank than  I have ever seen at one time!

On 10/1/2021 at 10:31 PM, Indlers said:

Not a bad idea either! I haven't turned up much on the reds just yet, but someone else suggested Amy lol They also had the bright idea of emailing her to see if she had any leads on someone who might have a colony who could unload a few. Might be worth a shot. I did find a guy who said he just got some recently, asked where he acquired them and he hasn't gotten back to me just yet, so I'm chalking it up to a slim maybe. I'll let you know what he says though.

That would be great! Thank you for all of your help!! 🙂

On 10/1/2021 at 10:31 PM, Indlers said:

I just messaged Amy, hopefully she has some information of where I can find some