What’s the most you have payed for a fish?

Endler enthusiast

On 10/1/2021 at 11:51 AM, Mack said:

I’m on the hunt for some red snakeskin orchid class no’s. But everywhere I look they are sold out 

Sounds nice! 

I must've looked (casually) for 6 months before I found a different species I wanted, and then could only secure them via texting with the seller. I hear ya.

• Like 2

On 10/1/2021 at 12:28 PM, Mack said:

Yeah I’m just about to do the same thing for my breeding set up

Best of luck to you. Good Endler's can be very hard to find. Especially if you want pure Cumana and/or Campoma

On 10/1/2021 at 12:51 PM, Mack said:

I’m on the hunt for some red snakeskin orchid class no’s. But everywhere I look they are sold out 

If you haven't already I would drop Noah at Endler Ark an email. He's a great dude and might be able to give you an idea of when he will have those available again.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:31 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Oooh! What kind? Sounds like they might be pretty cool.

They are truly amazing in more ways than one. Descended from Endlers brought to America by Dr. Endler in '75. 
937560862_1975Original(2).png.05554d80103c442e1c11294578c4fb71.png
Not only are they beautiful, but the story of this lines harrowing past is honestly incredible as well.
1118393430_75originals.png.533eec9b8c0240421b2f12357a4a6727.png
Mine are from the Canadian colony.
1964949840_75canadianoriginals.png.da14ae45c157f3276c5773b30706045f.png
I don't mean to talk them up too much, but I'm very excited and pleased to have the opportunity to help keep this line going. They may be slightly cursed lol, but it's only a testament to their resilience. I received mine yesterday just after noon, in the middle of a power outage. The power company was working on the lines and around 10am assured me it would only be off for a little over an hour, but it was out until around 5pm. I bet those workers hate me now lol I was out there every couple hours asking how things were going. I have a small solar generator and a 50W panel that kept all my tanks going and only used about 40% of the battery before power was turned back on, so it all turned out alright. It was overcast out though so I was burning power faster than the panel could gather it, and I was so stressed watching the % tick down throughout the day. There's a gas genny in the garage, but it needs serviced. Going to get that sorted out asap just in case. The young Endlers were oblivious though, all seemed happy and healthy, and still doing great so far! 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 10:29 AM, Indlers said:

Best of luck to you. Good Endler's can be very hard to find. Especially if you want pure Cumana and/or Campoma

If you haven't already I would drop Noah at Endler Ark an email. He's a great dude and might be able to give you an idea of when he will have those available again.

They are truly amazing in more ways than one. Descended from Endlers brought to America by Dr. Endler in '75. 
937560862_1975Original(2).png.05554d80103c442e1c11294578c4fb71.png
Not only are they beautiful, but the story of this lines harrowing past is honestly incredible as well.
1118393430_75originals.png.533eec9b8c0240421b2f12357a4a6727.png
Mine are from the Canadian colony.
1964949840_75canadianoriginals.png.da14ae45c157f3276c5773b30706045f.png
I don't mean to talk them up too much, but I'm very excited and pleased to have the opportunity to help keep this line going. They may be slightly cursed lol, but it's only a testament to their resilience. I received mine yesterday just after noon, in the middle of a power outage. The power company was working on the lines and around 10am assured me it would only be off for a little over an hour, but it was out until around 5pm. I bet those workers hate me now lol I was out there every couple hours asking how things were going. I have a small solar generator and a 50W panel that kept all my tanks going and only used about 40% of the battery before power was turned back on, so it all turned out alright. It was overcast out though so I was burning power faster than the panel could gather it, and I was so stressed watching the % tick down throughout the day. There's a gas genny in the garage, but it needs serviced. Going to get that sorted out asap just in case. The young Endlers were oblivious though, all seemed happy and healthy, and still doing great so far! 

I will most definitely end then an email, I was looking for a “notify me when available” button, but I don’t think they have one, it didn’t even cross my mind to email them. Thank you for the great idea, I hope you have a plentiful future with the new endlers, and that power stays on, power outages can be scary when you have aquariums, and especially breeding tanks which are Heavily stocked. 

• Like 2

I spent $50 on a L240 Pleco. I had a nice conversation with the owner while shopping and he rang me up $20 less than the display. 

I was regretting it for a while when It only hung out on the back of some drift wood. Now it comes out a feeding times to chase the corys.  

Most other fish I tend to cheap out on a bit. I am still trying to break the habit of spending $1000 on equipment to house $2 fish because $8 is way too much to pay for really cool cory. 

I am actively trying to budget more on the fish, but I always tend to have the most fun watching the cheap fish. My favorites to watch right now are white clouds.  

mLdMD-xFaL6OdjeketR23OQB3HwbHWCLN27ZlA76mdmHBneRjx6jcJU-gg8a4IWG6eOUVbS2eumiTRGjupwZkvAR_M9ZuMohIWHPrmZ4LnltcRJwOcwMnYFQmWCffwBGTsEOcX6B2cRgBkDfhpIMZnKWEB4Y5N7hkSkmPBlL6ViGQrEVaMMpbovPmLA2ozzpHyL72Wvke4AxFW2UK6dxd782EEl7n36wLMTJbjb1cbcAoiKYb_3T0pDHR7bbaFOKBFIk3x-gOHL1q-jpUWB9VvKaIOQpGIMEUmP-SAKzpjo4E0DqID6UqAcoCkQr6V_Z4L28VHZJOm-y9d4JUwOJ6HxaINRIk7FxKpSn18FlWZ9Fw5Wv4A49M9frOr2lNOVDGoFw03eT68aES3H7DP9MKkxkXM9BR2AIGSvtIVB9IgAFkEHy9Bq6mqrd-Mqolubrxj5bwx3-mX0zp9EN7rdj4U_fSekXoXKMeFHXed4mK_z_O_j1pBU48zA5-oePU52ukmN0iM4NhsXmo8guTl_jUegcPz03VUP0AbmR7TLgqoYC4rLT-gQtZ-67TmzlNIrZ4lmM3J6AAYvOeyHy4I1Ap_FKqF9gs4xu-BTAc-v0PtIqLmeHoXcxHFVS-1I76ZQpGgK2q2226XEanZ76bhmFiEbED8drplVUZd5It3WTYWaWdMgWlAovrYcQbMKThgruepRVgzJmMwohHVGo_OvSCp0=w1250-h938-no?authuser=0qpDKvRj3k3MM_Bp6bSgw10FJkGPoRoPV9QXdrP1szgxAMD3-uHV_lSg-TiYVuUQDh5Ck1vNKs92TJL8vbzBZbQ9Kv-prViKVZv7voAmjBuaPffTQ7wsTd1jsxSm-nfm1F9mtxT5Cq6OEd8lRziQmKdCkfMQJ2PLH9vrJQLt0hdO8Bb4_GNZ0Pb5B1Nt_GQESyLaT9cNthYwRE3x48nATyngVlticwqn3W_s5Dxm9f2zmYQUH5v0cSILm4kjoEWQ3lV1KNxZNqsAZUSj7kv8xOP-fdns6aZxL0RC4Ufyc4vGgBVGM-jXVWskrLh9G-ViLTz4Hr14OwpXz4K7zw8VmcZ8-N5MGVzrL3z2BlJUFqMLifE5ZuEtktKDoTZe7gvfZiAHi9Vwff64neFHOqgtcr83Q1ToEEvsGASEHxUgnprPsDAx-ryQgqhT-3JuGEzbC1k7-hF2C1BAMrTzuH0wB7JmvTN44dJBnwrkssaQTbrlOla5i0A8HbF7cgPHX5qDfCQNU2kmXSM2tAMeXJhNmc-3xZbdv8-ahbaY-8c1T6GSfUyGbwp0H4tSHvHRLd5fdxEP9gQCeakzIHF5WlKmKpmcmY0AvrH3X7Ust0aiSn7Srb_z__DCH7Fgln5_9O_R3ybxetL5q3S1mT57xw0XPApiFBw1hj8xF8qaVpE3IAS8VEFEkWxJzr9GP_-jEkXZIj6VENzYXzC1nrLRy3BxcmnE=w1250-h938-no?authuser=0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 10/1/2021 at 11:47 AM, David W said:

I spent $50 on a L240 Pleco. I had a nice conversation with the owner while shopping and he rang me up $20 less than the display. 

I was regretting it for a while when It only hung out on the back of some drift wood. Now it comes out a feeding times to chase the corys.  

Most other fish I tend to cheap out on a bit. I am still trying to break the habit of spending $1000 on equipment to house $2 fish because $8 is way too much to pay for really cool cory. 

I am actively trying to budget more on the fish, but I always tend to have the most fun watching the cheap fish. My favorites to watch right now are white clouds.  

mLdMD-xFaL6OdjeketR23OQB3HwbHWCLN27ZlA76mdmHBneRjx6jcJU-gg8a4IWG6eOUVbS2eumiTRGjupwZkvAR_M9ZuMohIWHPrmZ4LnltcRJwOcwMnYFQmWCffwBGTsEOcX6B2cRgBkDfhpIMZnKWEB4Y5N7hkSkmPBlL6ViGQrEVaMMpbovPmLA2ozzpHyL72Wvke4AxFW2UK6dxd782EEl7n36wLMTJbjb1cbcAoiKYb_3T0pDHR7bbaFOKBFIk3x-gOHL1q-jpUWB9VvKaIOQpGIMEUmP-SAKzpjo4E0DqID6UqAcoCkQr6V_Z4L28VHZJOm-y9d4JUwOJ6HxaINRIk7FxKpSn18FlWZ9Fw5Wv4A49M9frOr2lNOVDGoFw03eT68aES3H7DP9MKkxkXM9BR2AIGSvtIVB9IgAFkEHy9Bq6mqrd-Mqolubrxj5bwx3-mX0zp9EN7rdj4U_fSekXoXKMeFHXed4mK_z_O_j1pBU48zA5-oePU52ukmN0iM4NhsXmo8guTl_jUegcPz03VUP0AbmR7TLgqoYC4rLT-gQtZ-67TmzlNIrZ4lmM3J6AAYvOeyHy4I1Ap_FKqF9gs4xu-BTAc-v0PtIqLmeHoXcxHFVS-1I76ZQpGgK2q2226XEanZ76bhmFiEbED8drplVUZd5It3WTYWaWdMgWlAovrYcQbMKThgruepRVgzJmMwohHVGo_OvSCp0=w1250-h938-no?authuser=0qpDKvRj3k3MM_Bp6bSgw10FJkGPoRoPV9QXdrP1szgxAMD3-uHV_lSg-TiYVuUQDh5Ck1vNKs92TJL8vbzBZbQ9Kv-prViKVZv7voAmjBuaPffTQ7wsTd1jsxSm-nfm1F9mtxT5Cq6OEd8lRziQmKdCkfMQJ2PLH9vrJQLt0hdO8Bb4_GNZ0Pb5B1Nt_GQESyLaT9cNthYwRE3x48nATyngVlticwqn3W_s5Dxm9f2zmYQUH5v0cSILm4kjoEWQ3lV1KNxZNqsAZUSj7kv8xOP-fdns6aZxL0RC4Ufyc4vGgBVGM-jXVWskrLh9G-ViLTz4Hr14OwpXz4K7zw8VmcZ8-N5MGVzrL3z2BlJUFqMLifE5ZuEtktKDoTZe7gvfZiAHi9Vwff64neFHOqgtcr83Q1ToEEvsGASEHxUgnprPsDAx-ryQgqhT-3JuGEzbC1k7-hF2C1BAMrTzuH0wB7JmvTN44dJBnwrkssaQTbrlOla5i0A8HbF7cgPHX5qDfCQNU2kmXSM2tAMeXJhNmc-3xZbdv8-ahbaY-8c1T6GSfUyGbwp0H4tSHvHRLd5fdxEP9gQCeakzIHF5WlKmKpmcmY0AvrH3X7Ust0aiSn7Srb_z__DCH7Fgln5_9O_R3ybxetL5q3S1mT57xw0XPApiFBw1hj8xF8qaVpE3IAS8VEFEkWxJzr9GP_-jEkXZIj6VENzYXzC1nrLRy3BxcmnE=w1250-h938-no?authuser=0

I’d love to get a deal like that, I agree that some cheap fish can be more amusing to watch, but now I’m getting sucked into the world of n class endlers, I’m sure my wallet will appreciate that 😂

On 10/1/2021 at 2:04 PM, Mack said:

I will most definitely end then an email, I was looking for a “notify me when available” button, but I don’t think they have one, it didn’t even cross my mind to email them. Thank you for the great idea, I hope you have a plentiful future with the new endlers, and that power stays on, power outages can be scary when you have aquariums, and especially breeding tanks which are Heavily stocked. 

Np, and thanks for the well wishes. Agreed on the power issue as well. I'm definitely going to set up a few redundancies in the near future. Living in the country I'm used to this sort of thing, but MTS has developed faster than my back-up power supply recently lol Yesterday was a good wake-up-call.

On 10/1/2021 at 2:05 PM, CalmedByFish said:

That back story is amazing! So cool! And yeah, I can't tell if they're cursed or blessed, but they're definitely *something*. 😂

Haha definitely!

• Like 2

$49.99 for juvenile chinese ranchu this of course doesn't take into account the $50 overnight shipping fee.  The pricing is for a single fish though if you are talking most expensive aquarium fish population overall it would be my son's glofish aquarium.  12 glotetras, 12 glodanios plus 8 orange laser Corydoras add up to nearly $300 total but it would be closely followed by my ranchu & lionchu tank which total fish population was around $250.   My community tank has way more fish but they were fairly cheap even the 3 borneo spotteds I got on clearance.   

Edited by Kathy F
took out the name of a business

Lets see....hmmm...well, if we're talking no shipping including (because we all know overnight shipping can be astronomically high, but totally worth it) I paid $25 for a L129 Columbian Zebra (aka Scribble Pleco or Fake Zebra) from my LFS. If we're talking shipping included, $6.99 for a pea puffer with a $39 UPS Next Day Air cost tacked on. No one near me has had any for a while, and I'm impatient so it was worth the shipping cost to finally get Sméagol. 

On 10/1/2021 at 2:26 PM, Gideyon said:

$39 for a betta that died in 5 months. 

That was my first fish since going into the hobby armed with information. 

Now I'm going for platys.  If they die, I won't feel it in the wallet too much. 

Oh no! I hate when that happens. I’ve had that happen to me with a ping pong goldfish I had years ago. I wish you luck with your platys.

On 10/1/2021 at 2:25 PM, Beccs410 said:

Lets see....hmmm...well, if we're talking no shipping including (because we all know overnight shipping can be astronomically high, but totally worth it) I paid $25 for a L129 Columbian Zebra (aka Scribble Pleco or Fake Zebra) from my LFS. If we're talking shipping included, $6.99 for a pea puffer with a $39 UPS Next Day Air cost tacked on. No one near me has had any for a while, and I'm impatient so it was worth the shipping cost to finally get Sméagol. 

Overnight shipping is always the best option if you have the funds for it, it’s crazy how fast fish purchases can add up 

On 10/1/2021 at 1:48 PM, Kathy F said:

$49.99 for juvenile chinese ranchu this of course doesn't take into account the $50 overnight shipping fee.  The pricing is for a single fish though if you are talking most expensive aquarium fish population overall it would be my son's glofish aquarium.  12 glotetras, 12 glodanios plus 8 orange laser Corydoras add up to nearly $300 total but it would be closely followed by my ranchu & lionchu tank which total fish population was around $250.   My community tank has way more fish but they were fairly cheap even the 3 borneo spotteds I got on clearance.   

That sound both expensive, and beautiful. I wish you and your fish a long future together

On 10/1/2021 at 2:35 PM, Kylec said:

30 for my apisto pair is the most I've spent

Nice, apistos sure are beautiful fish, hopefully you can get a spawn from them!

On 10/1/2021 at 1:25 PM, Fish Folk said:

I paid $55 for this fish. Enjoy every dollar spent.

C77FDEE9-C954-4C2D-A420-89B5C08C8AFA.jpeg.c7d52cba0f226c85ac26f16478522082.jpeg

That is a gorgeous discus!! He is so vibrant. 

On 10/1/2021 at 12:06 PM, Indlers said:

Np, and thanks for the well wishes. Agreed on the power issue as well. I'm definitely going to set up a few redundancies in the near future. Living in the country I'm used to this sort of thing, but MTS has developed faster than my back-up power supply recently lol Yesterday was a good wake-up-call.

Haha definitely!

So, Noah got back to me and informed me that he won’t expect to have any up for sale for another 6 months, so he sent me over to Amy’s best fish. They aren’t the red type, but they are available.

• Like 1

I've never spent what I consider a bunch for a fish, but my top two would either be a Blue Lobster or a Lace Catfish*

The lobster was about $28. It got seemingly killed by the Lace Catfish a few months later. However, I bought an expectant mother lobster, and 1 fry survived hiding in the fake plants for a few months. At one point it was gone and idk what happened. Probs the Lace
There is an asterisk after the Lace because the store and I fished up the wrong fish. It was small, and they mixed Lace and Upside down. I wanted Upside down, that's what they thought they grabbed. The lace was priced at $15, but the upside down was $8, so that's what I payed. It wasn't until 3-4 years later when Nubbers was way bigger than any Upside down should get that I started doing digging. He was very territorial in a 29 gallon growing to a max of 9 inches. It was way too small for him but there wasn't much I could do. He made it just shy of 5 years old of the expected 5 to 7 life span so it was cool.
Overall cost though is in the same 29 gallon I currently have about $100-150 worth of fish, but cheap fish. 7 Neons, 6 Black Neon, 6 Black Kuhlis, 1 Hillstream (also around $15), and 2 Emerald Cory (it's all the store had or there would be more. I'm hoping for a male/female pair to try my 1st attempt to breed)

That would be the biggest price tag, because that was all done in a single stocking.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:04 PM, Blaha said:

I've never spent what I consider a bunch for a fish, but my top two would either be a Blue Lobster or a Lace Catfish*

The lobster was about $28. It got seemingly killed by the Lace Catfish a few months later. However, I bought an expectant mother lobster, and 1 fry survived hiding in the fake plants for a few months. At one point it was gone and idk what happened. Probs the Lace
There is an asterisk after the Lace because the store and I fished up the wrong fish. It was small, and they mixed Lace and Upside down. I wanted Upside down, that's what they thought they grabbed. The lace was priced at $15, but the upside down was $8, so that's what I payed. It wasn't until 3-4 years later when Nubbers was way bigger than any Upside down should get that I started doing digging. He was very territorial in a 29 gallon growing to a max of 9 inches. It was way too small for him but there wasn't much I could do. He made it just shy of 5 years old of the expected 5 to 7 life span so it was cool.
Overall cost though is in the same 29 gallon I currently have about $100-150 worth of fish, but cheap fish. 7 Neons, 6 Black Neon, 6 Black Kuhlis, 1 Hillstream (also around $15), and 2 Emerald Cory (it's all the store had or there would be more. I'm hoping for a male/female pair to try my 1st attempt to breed)

That would be the biggest price tag, because that was all done in a single stocking.

Did you buy the lace from a lfs? Sounds like it’s stocked with some awesome fish. Hopefully you can get the emerald cories to breed

On 10/1/2021 at 3:02 PM, Kylec said:

@Mack I have gotten a spawn of at least 20 fry that have grown up extremely fast! little over a month and they are free swimming and about half and inch showing some color already! first fish too so super exciting all around.

That’s super exciting hopefully you get many generations to come! 

I actually don't have an lfs. The lobster came from a petco (now closed) and that leaves me with 2 pet supplies plus, a big and a small one, and a pet smart.

Pet smart has been desolate for several months. The Lace came from the big petsmart, which has a fish focus. About 50% of the store is rows of tanks, but they javent had much recently either. All my current stuff came from the small 10-15 tank pet supplies plus that's just been killing it with their finds. If I had multiple tanks...

They had eels, bichirs, tons of Oscars an chiclids i didnt recognize. They had 3 plecos I've never even heard of. Emperor, rubber lipped, and clown. Not clown bristlenose though, just clown. It was as wide as a few inch long standard pleco but was less than an inch. Its was basically a sphere with a tail fin. They also have had the only angels ive seen in the area since COVID and have consistently had 5-10 different varieties of really cool tetras. I can't have them all though which is sad ha.

But like most chains they struggle with infection and I had to treat my tank good after what I got. Almost everything got hit, but everything survived.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 11:37 PM, Mack said:

Lately I’ve been doing some serous fish hunting (mostly Endlers and bettas) and I have seen how expensive some fish could get such as discus, and many other fish. This raises the question, what is the most you have ever payed for a fish, or invert?

The most I ever spent was on a proven breeding pair of discus, in the 90's.

$300 for the pair😬

I was young, dumb... and full of ideas on breeding. 

While discus can be acclimated to hard water, the eggs absolutely will not hatch if the water is not acidic enough, or soft enough. 

Period.

Eventually I figured it out. There was no forum back then...

• Sad 1