Characterization of Hobbyist Ornamental fish production

DRSMP

On 1/16/2022 at 12:39 PM, DRSMP said:

Every response is valuable and having people who don't breed take it gets me a good sample size from the whole hobby so please don't let the title put you off taking it, I need a good representative sample from the whole hobby. 
I want to see how prevalent it is so if just people who breed fish take it, my estimate of how many fish are being produce by hobbyists is skewed because my samples are taken from just breeders.  

Good to know! I went ahead and did the survey. I am really excited to see the results, thank you so much for all the effort!

• Like 4

On 1/16/2022 at 11:19 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

As much time as I spend on this forum I never saw the thread until today. Now there is 1 more answer for you. 

That is a common problem with social media surveys, Which often have lower response rates than interview or targeted surveys. 

On 1/17/2022 at 5:15 AM, Swampbones said:

Good to know! I went ahead and did the survey. I am really excited to see the results, thank you so much for all the effort!

But thank you both for completing it, greatly appreciated! 🙂

We are into the last 10 days that the Survey is live. I encourage anyone who still hasn't taken part, to do so if they wish before it's too late. 

On a happy note just over 5% of those who have interacted with or viewed the thread have taken part in the survey, which is above the average so thank you to everyone who has taken part so far!  
This still represents about 1% of registered users so, there is still room for many more responses! 🙂  

The response rate is the metric which will make or break this study, so I encourage all who can to take part! 

• Like 2

I will add yet again please do this I want to read the results. Maybe if enough of us beg it will become a hot topic (not quite sure how that works) and more folks will be interested and fill it out. It only takes 5 minutes. Please please please new fishkeeers you may get some ideas, old timers well just do it to help please. Everyone’s participation and input is good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Taaaaake the surveyyyy! Even if your answers are just “no, nope, nope, nada” we need that data too! We can’t know what percent of hobbyists breed fish if we don’t know how many don’t breed fish!

Ooo are we allowed to bribe people? Or is that not allowed @DRSMP? I can offer one baby fish picture for everyone who fills it out from now on. 😁

• Haha 3

On 1/21/2022 at 3:15 PM, DRSMP said:

We are into the last 10 days that the Survey is live. I encourage anyone who still hasn't taken part, to do so if they wish before it's too late. 

May I share with my local club, and ask my BiL to share with his club?

I think the study is well designed. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 5:57 PM, Torrey said:

May I share with my local club, and ask my BiL to share with his club?

I think the study is well designed. 

Thank you very much, Please feel free to share the link with anyone you think might be interested 🙂 The more responses I get the better my results will reflect the hobby as a whole. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/22/2022 at 8:50 AM, Hobbit said:

Taaaaake the surveyyyy! Even if your answers are just “no, nope, nope, nada” we need that data too! We can’t know what percent of hobbyists breed fish if we don’t know how many don’t breed fish!

Ooo are we allowed to bribe people? Or is that not allowed @DRSMP? I can offer one baby fish picture for everyone who fills it out from now on. 😁

🤣 I appreciate the enthusiasm, Some studies occasionally try and add a prize aspect to try and increase numbers, but getting funding for that part and ethical approval is a little harder.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi Everyone, 

Sorry for the Radio Silence it has been a very busy few months. 

I just wanted to keep you all updated on the progress of the study. 

The paper has been submitted to the journal, it has been approved by the Editor and has gone out to reviewers for peer review. This process normally takes a few months.

I want to thank everyone, including the Forum owners for their assistance with this project. And I am looking forward to sharing the published work with you all soon! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 6/30/2022 at 2:49 PM, DRSMP said:

Hi Everyone, 

Sorry for the Radio Silence it has been a very busy few months. 

I just wanted to keep you all updated on the progress of the study. 

The paper has been submitted to the journal, it has been approved by the Editor and has gone out to reviewers for peer review. This process normally takes a few months.

I want to thank everyone, including the Forum owners for their assistance with this project. And I am looking forward to sharing the published work with you all soon! 

Sounds fabulous!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/2/2023 at 4:27 AM, Val said:

Did the results ever get posted here?

Hi Val, 

Thanks for checking up to see how it is going. 

The results have not yet been published, I submitted back to the Editor some minor corrections this week but the manuscript has been accepted for publication so I should have something soon to share with everyone. 

The journal publishes online so there should be a pre-print copy available relatively quickly. The journal is also open access so it will be free for everyone to read.

🙂 

• Like 3
  • Love 2