Beardedbillygoat’s Fish & Shrimp Tank Journal

@GuppysnailI’m excited to work with my plecos in a more predictable setting. Community tanks are just that and not a breeding setup. I’ll keep asking questions as I set up these 2 tanks. The male in my post is a green dragon the poppa of the group that’ll be coming this month! 
The USB idea is a good one, I’ll have to investigate costings for both strategies. One issue I’ve had with the USB pumps is I’ve finally had a couple stop working or start to work Intermittently. Mind you we are now at 1-1.5 years out. Not sure we know their lifespan. 

• Like 1

Your new setup consider have a spare yucky biofilm diatom uncleared glass tank. Around 4 weeks I noticed on all 3 batches size disparity. By 5-6 weeks the smallest we’re staying tiny and the largest we’re growing bigger. The smallest would start to get skinny so I separated them to yucky(yucky meaning super healthy a microfauna biofilm paradise). As soon as I put them in they would noticeably start growing again within days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2022 at 9:51 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

The USB idea is a good one, I’ll have to investigate costings for both strategies. One issue I’ve had with the USB pumps is I’ve finally had a couple stop working or start to work Intermittently. Mind you we are now at 1-1.5 years out. Not sure we know their lifespan. 

From my experience, the USB nano air pumps have a lifetime of about 1-1.5 years. Just had one die on me last night that was put into use in Sept 2020. Others I have had have been about the same lifetime.

On 1/7/2022 at 6:37 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

From my experience, the USB nano air pumps have a lifetime of about 1-1.5 years. Just had one die on me last night that was put into use in Sept 2020. Others I have had have been about the same lifetime.

Yep that’s another reason I’m excited about going to a linear pump but not yet. Once we start building walls I’m pulling the trigger! For now I am going to try these Danner 4 outlet pumps for my tanks and see how they do. They only draw 8 watts so it’s still pretty low draw. 

My experience has been a bit longer, and I wonder what role humidity plays in the lifespan of the USB pumps?

Despite being in the desert, I still put every USB pump in a container to guarantee no splashing during water changes, and especially in my open top aquariums no mist from bubbles making it onto the USB.

Either Candi or Irene talked about the importance of keeping the USB dry... so there's a small mesh bag of rice in the container to ensure moisture doesn't impact the pump at all.

Still going strong powering 2 airstones in the Walstad tank, and powered Q/T beforehand. 

• Like 1

Sunday Funday water changes and subsequent photo dump. 

The Krobia have been a little more social within their hierarchy having interactions above and beyond chasing for dominance. 

B00C0846-4804-4353-9E9D-077178BD8536.jpeg.0b9da4f6c2de570c21d456e2c84c46da.jpegA5B7729D-D2CA-4989-A554-3E4354D039C7.jpeg.9f7044e0b58bb3e66ba600b7d03e6c82.jpeg

I really love our Hatchets! The school Is starting to get the hang of feeding and the spots to go for food.

F7800102-E00D-4352-A890-43798869A6D0.jpeg.9e2508f02947ee149d68fc53f6bb70db.jpeg

We’ve turned the shell dweller Brevis tank into a community tank - my 4 yo is well a 4 yo and so compromised and got him a Caudopunctatus and a Leileupi who have really livened up the tank.
F04E81FF-E2F1-4534-91B6-B8AA830438BA.jpeg.cdfe5a7977bdb4f63d8261976e88f579.jpeg9B83C91D-0F4F-4166-947C-BCC995997764.jpeg.d77e3d7c00a8a38d261d3d72b22b7b1a.jpeg5F2E76F0-8A90-4208-9E2D-3599C25C0318.jpeg.d5bfac429ff67318b92720acf6d3a361.jpeg3218B817-DDBD-48D4-A274-28391E59FDEB.jpeg.bb47a3a25da232a90290513d3340e3ad.jpeg

Have fun and be safe this week everyone!  

9498FB7E-7D1D-42D2-BD70-248830E82038.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

@xXInkedPhoenixXno, there is very little conspecific aggression once they settled in and established their hierarchy I’ve seen no chasing. They are good citizens no chasing of other fish. I worry that they don’t get enough to eat but I’ve been trying to use more foods that stay floating longer and slow to sink to help with this I’ve seen them eat. I’ve been told you absolutely need a top with them and I’d say they are a bit skittish but not the worst fish I have. 

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 2:30 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

The Hatchets are adorable, have you found any disadvantages with them so far/anything you aren't too keen on with them?

I love hatchets!  I’m planning to add some silvers to my angelfish tank.  I’m worried marbles would be small enough to be tempting for angels even though they shouldn’t fit their mouth.  That’s not enough to stop angels from trying and it would likely mean 2 dead fish if it happened.  I’ll be putting marbles into my nanofish 100 G.  I’ve got to get my “new” 100 G sorted, then the “Offish” sorted, then I’ll have time and energy to get some fish through QT.

They MUST have a tight top.  They are easily startled and I swear, only about as thick as a nickel (about 2 mm for those not in the USA) depending on which species and how old. They are literally built for jumping since they’re like a tiny flying fish and leap to escape predation.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 1/10/2022 at 10:35 AM, Odd Duck said:

I love hatchets!  I’m planning to add some silvers to my angelfish tank.  I’m worried marbles would be small enough to be tempting for angels even though they shouldn’t fit their mouth.  That’s not enough to stop angels from trying and it would likely mean 2 dead fish if it happened.  I’ll be putting marbles into my nanofish 100 G.  I’ve got to get my “new” 100 G sorted, then the “Offish” sorted, then I’ll have time and energy to get some fish through QT.

They MUST have a tight top.  They are easily startled and I swear, only about as thick as a nickel (about 2 mm for those not in the USA) depending on which species and how old. They are literally built for jumping since they’re like a tiny flying fish and leap to escape predation.

Isn't there a giant hatchet fish (Thoracocharax securis or Thoracocharax Stellatus). Giant here is relative to the not so giant. Lids are a real problem for me; my gold zebra all pop out of the holes in the back one day - didn't notice as i almost never look behind the tank. Not relative to the hatchet other than when I redo the tank next year as a 450 the lid is one thing i have to address so maybe hatchet is an option. The giant variety is 3 1/2 inches (not to be confused with the true giant sea water version which is 6 inches).

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2022 at 10:40 AM, anewbie said:

Isn't there a giant hatchet fish (Thoracocharax securis). Giant here is relative to the not so giant. Lids are a real problem for me; my gold zebra all pop out of the holes in the back one day - didn't notice as i almost never look behind the tank. Not relative to the hatchet other than when I redo the tank next year as a 450 the lid is one thing i have to address so maybe hatchet is an option. The giant variety is 3 1/2 inches (not to be confused with the true giant sea water version which is 6 inches).

There is but I’ve never seen them in real life, only pics.  I haven’t looked for availability on-line.  The silver hatchets are just enough bigger than marbles that I think they’ll be safe.  Marbles are only 1.25-1.4” (about 3.5 cm), silvers are 2-2.25” (about 5-6 cm).  Silvers should be safe enough with even adult angels.  The marbles may be borderline and I’m a better safe than sorry kind of gal even though the marbles would fit better with the fish color scheme I’m going for in that tank. Because apparently it isn’t enough to go for biotope-ish, I want a fish color scheme, too.  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

On 1/10/2022 at 10:52 AM, Odd Duck said:

There is but I’ve never seen them in real life, only pics.  I haven’t looked for availability on-line.  The silver hatchets are just enough bigger than marbles that I think they’ll be safe.  Marbles are only 1.25-1.4” (about 3.5 cm), silvers are 2-2.25” (about 5-6 cm).  Silvers should be safe enough with even adult angels.  The marbles may be borderline and I’m a better safe than sorry kind of gal even though the marbles would fit better with the fish color scheme I’m going for in that tank. Because apparently it isn’t enough to go for biotope-ish, I want a fish color scheme, too.  🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Not sure - my store brought angels are average size; but the ones i raised from frys are huge - easily 1.5 inch larger - and they have large mouths. female angels are a lot smaller of course. I'm thinking a fish has to be a good 2+ inches to be safe with a large male. serpae size.

@anewbie I’ve read about a lot of people having rummynoses in with angels and I’ve considered that, but I keep worrying about their size.  They aren’t very big and I keep thinking they’re too small for angels.  They’re also so slender that it seems like they’d slip right down the gullet of a large angel.  I’ve seen them on most “Angelfish Tank Mates” lists but I kept thinking they were too small to be safe.  But then again, neons, cardinals, and zebra danios are on those lists, too.  Seems like a neon, especially, would just be an hors d’oeuvres (<—— google helped me with that spelling) for an adult angel!  Rummynoses and cardinals not that far behind.  I think the deeper keel on the hatchetfish will be fairly protective since they visually look much bigger and are the same length as the rummies.  But the giants are looking more appealing if I can find them.

Off to Aquabid I go!  And, Hello, rabbit!

I have cardinals with angels and at first it was fine but recently i think they are becoming expensive fish food. The ones i have are several years old so quite large (for cardinals); but i won't add any more. My plans are to set up a 400 gallon tank next year with rams and geo and keep rummy and cardinals with those. The angels will get serpae and maybe white fin rosy or black neon (which are streamline tetra but larger than cardinals). I haven't decided for sure.  Right now i'm really unhappy with the my angels in the 120 because 'war' has broken out and my favorite one has several open sores. I only have 7 but it is 2 females and 5 males - oh well. Maybe i'll get rid of the gold - he was one of my frys but so freaking large.

Edited by anewbie

On 1/10/2022 at 1:23 PM, anewbie said:

I have cardinals with angels and at first it was fine but recently i think they are becoming expensive fish food. The ones i have are several years old so quite large (for cardinals); but i won't add any more. My plants are to set up a 400 gallon tank next year with rams and geo and keep rummy and cardinals with those.

I’m leaning towards some giant hatchets if I can find them.

• Like 1

@Beardedbillygoat1975 the Krobia So cool looking how the stripe hits their eyes, makes them all look like their wearing bandit mask. The hatchets are such a great addition looking really good.  I have to agree with @Patrick_G

On 1/10/2022 at 11:39 AM, Patrick_G said:

I’m jealous that your Anubias Nana is algae free. That is a great looking specimen! Keeping them algae free is  a struggle for me!

B8A153EA-BB6A-42F4-B58A-ED8F5572C3FB.jpeg

i can’t keep them algae free either thinking of putting mine into a higher flow point. Even spot treating with liquid carbon. Such a great looking type of Anubias. I do want to use it more but I’ve had trouble with them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2022 at 9:35 AM, Odd Duck said:

I wish there was a cooler temp hatchet and the lid is why. I have a screen top on the tank in my spouse's room (only fully lidded tank I have that is bigger than a pico tank), and my spouse is currently always running hot so the tank & the room are a constant 68°. I loved the marble hatchets I had once upon a time. 

Of course, if I am being honest I have loved every fish I had, otherwise I wouldn't have gotten them😁 Still, archer fish and hatchet fish will always hold a special place as they have so much personality and have unique body types. 

• Like 4

@Patrick_Gand @Atitagainive been very judicious with trimming off the bba. The roots are just a haven for bba. I have to trim the roots as well as the leaves. It’s on a lava rock so I literally pull it out clean it, spot treat it with carbon and that’s why it looks so darn good! I do have a nice specimen in my main display and flow is why it stays clean along with plecos and otos. This tank does not have a lot of flow. In terms of green algaes the black mollies are pretty good and they’re my cleanup crew in this tank. I will throw a couple LF BN plecos once they get big enough to not be good for the Krobia. Hair algae is a problem but for some reason I don’t mind some but I’ve always go to use liquid carbon and manually remove it from this tank. 
@anewbieand @Odd Duckthe wet spot had 3 species of hatchets when i was there. Can’t judge angel survival but they are not fast swimmers and I’d say easy targets at this size. Lids are key as are floating plants from my limited experience and online research.

• Like 3

On 1/11/2022 at 9:47 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Atitagainive been very judicious with trimming off the bba. The roots are just a haven for bba. I have to trim the roots as well as the leaves. It’s on a lava rock so I literally pull it out clean it, spot treat it with carbon and that’s why it looks so darn good!

I like that method too. I haven’t pulled mine out in a while, but I think I’ll try it and maybe do a dip in a diluted solution of Excel

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

@Bentley Pascoehad an old video where he took filter rings like the ones Fluval etc make and put bucephelandra pieces on them and since then I’ve used those, lava rocks etc although the white rings don’t blend in as well nor stick as well as the lava rocks as the roots of the plants just grip the structures of the rocks so bloody well. 

• Like 1

It’s weird how much this place the forum means to us. It’s been a great solace over the last couple weeks. Developed some holiday blues that I could not shake so ended up in with my therapist and PCPs offices getting some help. I knew something was wrong when my wife offered the fish room and I was excited but not EXCITED. With some extra med and therapy now I feel alright and starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. The care package was a lovely surprise and truly brought a smile to my face. 
I had a day to myself after dropping off the boys. Took the dog to the dog park and she just didn’t want to leave so I had no plans so an hour walk turned into 2.
I got a 1/2 lbs of black worms via ups to try a culture again. Split them between several small tanks and we’ll see how they do. Plan to water change them tonight. 26EAC634-F393-40D8-87C8-C4400EA107B8.jpeg.6d72bbf8f634c39fc073ada923bcabc1.jpeg

Fishwise there’s been loads of drama with the pleco crew both boys have been trying to get a lady friend to a cave but have been unsuccessful. Listened to Barbie again today during my dog walk and I think I’ll drop some Brussels in and maybe do a 20% cold water change and see what happens. 
Fishroom wise it’s still planning and waiting. We don’t want to spend money and then end up paying a ton to the feds for taxes. Last year was not kind to us. Hoping that with the withholding we did we can at least not get in too deep a hole. Then I can get a plumber out and see what the damage will be. 
I did get out to Lowe’s and checked out the rigid insulation- if you’d have told me 10 years ago that this would count for a fun afternoon wow man that guy would not get it! 70A2F0B7-C7B8-45D4-87D2-C07A31A55A3B.jpeg.8c19d71ee8948de2503420eec3374ef0.jpegC3FD2B41-B974-4976-B2E7-0B6544B350DA.jpeg.a836567a6ff2be18cff54550361ff307.jpeg

Have fun everyone and be safe! 

• Like 4
  • Love 2