The biggest misconception in all of aquaria - ammonia

tonyjuliano

Ammonia Production  

43 members have voted

1. 1. What is the biggest single source of ammonia in a planted aquarium stocked with fish and invertebrates? (Assuming reasonable attempts at required maintenance are made)

• Uneaten / decaying food
    • Decaying plant matter
    • Feces and/or urine from tank inhabitants
    • Something else

We spend a lot of time trying to manage the nitrogen cycle and it’s very “fish-toxic” precursor - ammonia.

But how many really understand what is the primary cause of ammonia production?

Let’s find out.

Take the poll and explain your rationale, especially if you answered “something else”.

To make things interesting, I WILL NOT personally throw a $20 Aquarium Co-Op gift card to the first person with the correct answer.

Edited by tonyjuliano
Fairly obvious to anyone who has followed this from the beginning.

On 6/19/2021 at 5:54 AM, Daniel said:

Sorry Tony,

This is a violation of the guidelines.

"image.png.369cd6972cbee9af3d28f0f43efe1212.png"

Well technically its not a supply or an animal....its a plastic card that in and of itself cannot be used in an aquarium and it is not alive and neither will i if I continue to use my plastic cards and the wife finds out! 😬

While I completely understand the intent of the rule of not giving away supplies or animals on a forum that is owned by a company that sells supplies and live items(plants) and I respect that.  I do not think there would be an issue if the item being given away is something that can only be used to purchase said supplies and live items from the company that runs this forum.   I am sure@tonyjuliano meant no harm in his actions and was only trying to spark some good conversation and even helping some of the newer members to this hobby learn and making it fun in the process.

This is just my opinion and fully understand and will respect the rules and the way they are applied. 

Edited by ARMYVET

Ammonia is formed when I fish or live creature metabolizes protein and is the major waste product of said fish and inhabitants. The majority of ammonia from all live aquarium creatures is excreted through the gills, with relatively only a  little being lost through urine and feces. Ammonia is also formed as uneaten feed or other organic matter in an aquarium is left to decompose and rot on the aquarium floor. High concentrations of ammonia in the water make it difficult for fish to eliminate ammonia from their bodies. This buildup of ammonia causes stress in the animals, gill become inflamed and damage is done to the internal organs which eventually leads to death.

Edited by ARMYVET
  • Like 3

On 6/19/2021 at 7:36 AM, Guppysnail said:

I think you may have overlooked that some of us run heavy planted tank without using supplemental fertilizers ever. if that is where you were going with this

I hadnt considered ferts containing ammonia. I only considered naturally occurring organic sources. Good answer.

On 6/19/2021 at 7:36 AM, Guppysnail said:

I think you may have overlooked that some of us run heavy planted tank without using supplemental fertilizers ever. if that is where you were going with this

Not where I’m going at all. Question is about what single internal factor produces the most ammonia (by far).

On 6/19/2021 at 7:04 AM, ARMYVET said:

Well technically its not a supply or an animal....its a plastic card that in and of itself cannot be used in an aquarium and it is not alive and neither will i if I continue to use my plastic cards and the wife finds out! 😬

While I completely understand the intent of the rule of not giving away supplies or animals on a forum that is owned by a company that sells supplies and live items(plants) and I respect that.  I do not think there would be an issue if the item being given away is something that can only be used to purchase said supplies and live items from the company that runs this forum.   I am sure@tonyjuliano meant no harm in his actions and was only trying to spark some good conversation and even helping some of the newer members to this hobby learn and making it fun in the process.

This is just my opinion and fully understand and will respect the rules and the way they are applied. 

There are issues with members using the forum to give other members free or paid for items. The purpose of the guideline isn't about competing with the Co-Op. The purpose is to keep the Forum out of transactions the Forum isn't currently set up to handle and doesn't want to have responsibility for. This might change in future, but hasn't been implemented yet.

There is nothing in the posting that is enhanced by giving away gift cards. Therefore I believe is fair to ask Tony to keep to the same rules as every other member of the Forum are required to follow.

• Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 9:39 AM, HenryC said:

alright internal factor, I'm guessing you mean pH? since low pH makes ammonia non-toxic to fish? but high pH makes it lethal

No, not what was intended.

While pH levels have an effect on the overall concentration of ammonia, it’s the “primary source” that I’m trying to illustrate.

The lower the pH level, the more ammonia (or any substance) can be held in solution. The pH of water determines the solubility, or the amount of anything that can be dissolved in it.

This is a very important fact, and I’m glad you’ve brought it to attention.

But, it’s not a “source” of ammonia.

Edited by tonyjuliano
  • Like 3

Hmm decomposing uneaten fish food then? Since we might overfeed, Not sure if that counts as internal factor but I voted for that hehe.

I'm feeling decaying plant matter is the lowest ammonia source, in a healthy tank we don't have that many decaying plant matter right? Maybe a few leaves here and t here. And fish poop comes directly related to how much fish food you put.fish eat?

I'd say the main culprit is fish food, but I'm no scientist hehe.

Edited by HenryC
  • Like 2

On 6/19/2021 at 1:49 PM, anewbie said:

There is no single correct answer for the biggest source of ammonia in my tank might not be the biggest source of ammonia in your tank. After all we do not all treat our tanks equally. 

No, not really…

If you have a planted aquarium, stocked with fish and other live animals, there will be one single source that will be - far and away - responsible for most ammonia production.