Show Your Garden Pics

Patrick_G

On 5/29/2022 at 9:29 PM, Ken Burke said:

Yup, and we’ve been swimming for a month or so.  Summer comes early in Louisiana.  

Being from TX it kind of cracks me up hearing people hope it will get warm enough for outdoor tubs at the end of May.

We are also already swimming 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some shots of the hoop house and the prettiest roses currently in bloom. It has been such a chilly, dreary spring that almost everything is several weeks behind where it was last year. Hopefully things start picking up now!

809E4CD1-C15A-4303-AAC2-266A4B3ACC50.jpeg.5b7111b4e27d3483596d6f90977a8108.jpeg6A98FF92-630E-450D-890A-27772982D894.jpeg.a36bff951ae6f5b881fe14947bc2b3b9.jpegC8712913-7E0D-4715-BB4E-A6493CAF6101.jpeg.ba564416b521a2ee4d7170f032bfd7ac.jpeg9DD81A68-610B-46EC-9BF1-113FCC51E6FF.jpeg.44d70baa621d1a9527a27350f0d6467a.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

On 5/30/2022 at 8:33 PM, PaigeIs said:

@modified lung  We've had this happen also.  The flower will start to bloom at night but stay open into the day.   How many flowers this year?

4 on this one but I've only seen one bloom so far. It opened around 10:00am. I walked  by it an hour before that and it was closed (or I'm just blind).

Edited by modified lung
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Funny story. I had a five gallon with some snails, and one day I dropped in a couple grape tomatoes that had started molding on me. Snails were moved, tank dried, but I watered it to keep the lucky bamboo alive. Then one day I had all these tomato sprouts. They're not going to be grape shaped, but I usually don't have anything this early in summer. Can't wait to see the final product.

cherrytomatoes.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/14/2022 at 10:54 AM, BrettD said:

Funny story. I had a five gallon with some snails, and one day I dropped in a couple grape tomatoes that had started molding on me. Snails were moved, tank dried, but I watered it to keep the lucky bamboo alive. Then one day I had all these tomato sprouts. They're not going to be grape shaped, but I usually don't have anything this early in summer. Can't wait to see the final product.

cherrytomatoes.jpg

Ok, first tomatoes are EVIL.  But love it that nature finds a way

• Haha 2

Fun thread! I've been a gardener my whole life, since a small child. It's my 1st love. Aquascaping with live plants is what got me back into the hobby as a middle aged woman; just another place to garden! 

I've lived in my current home under 2 years, and moved around for the 2 years prior. So it's been a while since I had established gardens. Our current home's landscape had been neglected for about 20 years. If you know the PNW, you know it was covered in Himalayan blackberries & continues to be a lot of work to get under control. But we have grand plans. I have a collection of plants I brought with me, and more I've added, but no nice pictures of gardens, because well, it's all mostly weeds at this point 😅But we'll get there, slowly but surely. 

Here is my Oriental Poppy 'Royal Wedding', blooming for the 1st time in 3 years. It's one of the plants I brought with me from my last place. Planted it in the ground last year & this year it's rewarding me with 5 blooms ❤️

PXL_20220607_161158899.PORTRAIT.jpg

Edited by Anjum
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Love 3

On 6/15/2022 at 4:22 PM, Anjum said:

If you know the PNW, you know it was covered in Himalayan blackberries

Ah, yes. In my nearly decade of living there I never did understand why anyone introduced either the Himalayan or the English version, when salmon berries, black currant, huckleberry, native blackberrries, bilberries, bunchberries, crowberries, chokecherries, elderberries, golden currants, fairy bell, gooseberries, Indian Strawberries, cloudberries, salal, saskatoon berries, thimbleberries, and a host of other utterly delicious berries that didn't attempt to peel all your skin off.

We cleared our 20 acres and reclaimed the apple orchard by painting the base of the thorny bushes with blackstrap molasses and let the goats loose to rip them up by the roots and eat them all gone. Took 2 years to eliminate even the most determined runners from coming back.

Your Royal Wedding is gorgeous! Do you harvest and eat the seeds?

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 4:23 PM, Torrey said:

Ah, yes. In my nearly decade of living there I never did understand why anyone introduced either the Himalayan or the English version, when salmon berries, black currant, huckleberry, native blackberrries, bilberries, bunchberries, crowberries, chokecherries, elderberries, golden currants, fairy bell, gooseberries, Indian Strawberries, cloudberries, salal, saskatoon berries, thimbleberries, and a host of other utterly delicious berries that didn't attempt to peel all your skin off.

We cleared our 20 acres and reclaimed the apple orchard by painting the base of the thorny bushes with blackstrap molasses and let the goats loose to rip them up by the roots and eat them all gone. Took 2 years to eliminate even the most determined runners from coming back.

Your Royal Wedding is gorgeous! Do you harvest and eat the seeds?

Ah yes, the short-sightedness of colonizers... we must "improve" this land.. 🙄

Thankfully, we have many native species on the property (10 acres!). Over time, we'll reduce the invasives & encourage natives in their place. We also have hopes of using goats and/or sheep to keep the pasture areas from becoming engulfed again. The front half of the property will be more cultivated & used for livestock. The back half of the property is forest, untouched for at least the last 60~ years. That will remain largely untouched (we may cut some trails, but that's about it). 

As for the poppy, the Oriental is not the species used for culinary seed. The seed variety is Papaver somniferum (breadseed poppy), which is the same plant that produces opium! 😮 I have at least one plant of that type which will be blooming soon. But I will be collecting seed from the 'Royal Wedding' to grow more plants. 

• Love 1

On 6/15/2022 at 5:48 PM, Anjum said:

Thankfully, we have many native species on the property (10 acres!). Over time, we'll reduce the invasives & encourage natives in their place. We also have hopes of using goats and/or sheep to keep the pasture areas from becoming engulfed again. The front half of the property will be more cultivated & used for livestock. The back half of the property is forest, untouched for at least the last 60~ years. That will remain largely untouched (we may cut some trails, but that's about it). 

As for the poppy, the Oriental is not the species used for culinary seed. The seed variety is Papaver somniferum (breadseed poppy), which is the same plant that produces opium! 😮 I have at least one plant of that type which will be blooming soon. But I will be collecting seed from the 'Royal Wedding' to grow more plants. 

This sounds very similar to the land we bought from the German family in northern Whatcom. Goats are wonderful at eliminating the invasives, as they pull it out, roots and all. Especially if you get them eating it before it goes to seed!

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 6:22 PM, Anjum said:

Fun thread! I've been a gardener my whole life, since a small child. It's my 1st love. Aquascaping with live plants is what got me back into the hobby as a middle aged woman; just another place to garden! 

I've lived in my current home under 2 years, and moved around for the 2 years prior. So it's been a while since I had established gardens.

@Anjum, we may be twins! I got back into fishkeeping as a way to garden in the 'off' season, this is my 3rd spring in my new house after a couple of years without my own place to garden, and I brought a lot of plants with me to my new place that had come with me from my last house. 

It's such a joy and satisfaction to turn a neglected area into a well-loved garden--I hope you have as much fun with yours as I have had. My enemies here are wintercreeper, poison ivy, invasive honeysuckle and being trapped in a humid inferno with heavy clay soil. Other than that, it's pretty nice, lol! Yesterday I was watching this bee when a goldfinch landed right beside me on a coneflower. Can't beat that for progress!

1439303164_IMG_9071(1).jpg.84756ecf51b4877447cba3aac987500a.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

On 6/15/2022 at 4:48 PM, Anjum said:

I used to work with the US Bureau of Reclamation and they had a big timeline on their office wall of all the non-native fish the government introduced and the reasoning for introducing them from maybe the 1960s onward. I think it was sometime in the 90s it suddenly stopped. 

• Like 3

@PineSong I lived on the east coast as a child. I do not miss the poison ivy nor the summer humidity! 

My gardens, my plants & my animals all bring me the greatest joy & satisfaction in life. I've had some houseplants in my care for 30 years! I've had a Linden tree in a pot I've schlepped around with my entire adult life. My plants are as much pets to me as my animals.

On 6/15/2022 at 5:03 PM, modified lung said:

I used to work with the US Bureau of Reclamation and they had a big timeline on their office wall of all the non-native fish the government introduced and the reasoning for introducing them from maybe the 1960s onward. I think it was sometime in the 90s it suddenly stopped. 

It amazes me it took them that long to figure out it wasn't working!

• Like 4