My understanding is that shrimp are the most vunerable after they molt so I don't think death is uncommon around that time- if there's anything off with the water it probably caused it. I don't even mean ammonia. I've put shrimp in a tank "new" to them and lost them after they molted though water testing showed there were no parameter issues- whatever it was that was off was something the shrimp required that I didn't test for- or the suspect in my case may have been more copper in my water than I know about. So sadly I don't try to keep shrimp anymore. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

On 4/29/2022 at 11:39 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

My understanding is that shrimp are the most vunerable after they molt so I don't think death is NOT uncommon around that time- if there's anything off with the water it probably caused it. I don't even mean ammonia. I've put shrimp in a tank "new" to them and lost them after they molted though water testing showed there were no parameter issues- whatever it was that was off was something the shrimp required that I didn't test for- or the suspect in my case may have been more copper in my water than I know about. So sadly I don't try to keep shrimp anymore. 

@xXInkedPhoenixX I'm having a second go round with shrimp, now that I have the ZeroWater filter (lab confirmed it removed all the copper) and I am remineralizing the water, plus alternating on Easy Green and SeaChem Flourish Complete  (better iron absorption for the plants). I am checking out dividing the weekly dosing into daily amounts, to add additional safety components for the shrimp. Everyone molted, I think I witnessed a mating, and the shrimp attacked the green bean yesterday... so early indicators of potential success? I am hoping the WonderShells plus the remineralization approach will keep shrimp healthy even if I have another health challenge. It's the decision I made for the Scapes from Scraps tank, I'm fairly confident the small size will keep it from being cost prohibitive. UGF and substrate are almost 2 years old, so very established cycle. Video of the tank revealed a ton of copepods in the tank on Monday, indicating the best possible stability in a tiny tank for shrimp.

In other words, at $10/filter for the ZeroFilter (plus the initial system includes a free TDS monitor) and ~40 gallons/ per filter, it may be possible for you to try shrimp in a small container (under 5 gallon system) especially if it's heavily planted.

Yes, shrimp are most vulnerable in the first 24 hours after a molt, which is part of why I decided to try the daily microdosing for plants instead of weekly dosing for this tiny system.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've recentley purchased a new rimless 5 gallon. The plan is to put a betta in this tank.

image.jpeg.29f5f783a1d83918e744a48dd61fbb58.jpeg

I have some plant trimings from other tanks being incorperated in this scape:

20220515_144947.jpg.cd7594e61bc233a14b3bc98ebe92670b.jpg

Some Bacopa, and Anubias pictured. Also trimming some Cryptacoryne Undaltus Red, and Alteranthera Reineckii Green (man, thats a hard plant to spell).

Im ordering some plants for this scape too. My limit was $40 for plants - which is the cheapest ive gone on plants when i scape a tank.

image.png.d7d3066a7d676e852f357033e939fafb.png

For hardscape I was a little inspired by MD Fish Tanks "Shrimp Playground Build". I liked the basic hardscape and the plants in the background so thats exactly what Im going for. I wanna do some cholla wood.

For lighting I've orderd the Hygger Nano Clip on. Originally I wanted to go with a Fluval 3.0 Nano. However it simply wasnt in the budget. I currently have one and its amazing, I love every aspect of it... except for the price. If the fluavl 3.0 is within your budget its totally worth it. I'm considering getting one for this tank in a little bit. Maybe if I can find one on sale at my LFS or somewhere.

image.jpeg.de0cb9303612a337807bb080162e89d2.jpeg

For substrate im doing the Caribsea EcoComplete Black. I've used the fluval stratum and have loved the results ive gotten from using it. Its just so dang messy. So I wanna try a new inert substrate that from what I've heard isn't nearly as messy as stratum. 

I'm trying my best in this build to order from small buisness' as much as possible, and most importantly not order from amazon. Anything my LFS was selling that I needed in this build I was gonna buy from there no matter the price difference. The light and cholla wood were the only things I bought off amazon simply because I couldnt find any anywhere else that shipped to canada.

The Plants I ordered off a small online local buisness that I love supporting in Winnipeg. They have a great plant selection, and price. Some of the plants they sell they grow in their basement so they are able to offer a cheaper price then most online sellers. Because they are in Winnipeg (where I live too) I am able to do "Free Local Pickup" or a $10 deliverer fee. 

• Like 5

On 5/15/2022 at 2:20 PM, FrozenFins said:

I've recentley purchased a new rimless 5 gallon. The plan is to put a betta in this tank.

image.jpeg.29f5f783a1d83918e744a48dd61fbb58.jpeg

I have some plant trimings from other tanks being incorperated in this scape:

20220515_144947.jpg.cd7594e61bc233a14b3bc98ebe92670b.jpg

Some Bacopa, and Anubias pictured. Also trimming some Cryptacoryne Undaltus Red, and Alteranthera Reineckii Green (man, thats a hard plant to spell).

Im ordering some plants for this scape too. My limit was $40 for plants - which is the cheapest ive gone on plants when i scape a tank.

image.png.d7d3066a7d676e852f357033e939fafb.png

For hardscape I was a little inspired by MD Fish Tanks "Shrimp Playground Build". I liked the basic hardscape and the plants in the background so thats exactly what Im going for. I wanna do some cholla wood.

For lighting I've orderd the Hygger Nano Clip on. Originally I wanted to go with a Fluval 3.0 Nano. However it simply wasnt in the budget. I currently have one and its amazing, I love every aspect of it... except for the price. If the fluavl 3.0 is within your budget its totally worth it. I'm considering getting one for this tank in a little bit. Maybe if I can find one on sale at my LFS or somewhere.

image.jpeg.de0cb9303612a337807bb080162e89d2.jpeg

For substrate im doing the Caribsea EcoComplete Black. I've used the fluval stratum and have loved the results ive gotten from using it. Its just so dang messy. So I wanna try a new inert substrate that from what I've heard isn't nearly as messy as stratum. 

I'm trying my best in this build to order from small buisness' as much as possible, and most importantly not order from amazon. Anything my LFS was selling that I needed in this build I was gonna buy from there no matter the price difference. The light and cholla wood were the only things I bought off amazon simply because I couldnt find any anywhere else that shipped to canada.

The Plants I ordered off a small online local buisness that I love supporting in Winnipeg. They have a great plant selection, and price. Some of the plants they sell they grow in their basement so they are able to offer a cheaper price then most online sellers. Because they are in Winnipeg (where I live too) I am able to do "Free Local Pickup" or a $10 deliverer fee. 

You may be able to wild collect cholla. It grows in T'kemlups territory, and I believe in other Canadian high desert regions. Be sure to only collect dried/dead cholla skeletons, and give them another month in the sun before you soak them. 

• Like 1

Lots of exciting things happening!
My plants arrived last week. I setup the tank on thursday , and have been letting it run since. Because i have snails in the tank (causing amonia) and a precycled sponge filter being used, I've ordered a betta online. It should be here later this week.

Funny story, I ordered this stunning betta orginally. It was supposed to ship out yesterday. However, when the seller went to go bag him he realized the betta had switched colors! so cool! He texted me and asked if I wanted to switch out the betta, get refunded, or just go with it, etc. 

This was the picture of the guy on the site:

Screenshot_20220524-110222_Messages.jpg.34b22bd6284dc0d93b69cd7e55173fad.jpg

And this is how drastic his colors changed

Screenshot_20220524-110234_Messages.jpg.6574da6ba609337b1b55cec8ae42c3f9.jpg

He had sparkily blue eyes, and red lips which i thought was cool in the original pic. However upon giving the chance to switch fish I did. I wasnt a big fan of the blue on him now. I was told he wouldnt be culled but probably kept as a "shop fish". So I decided to go with this stunner:

20220523_152743.jpg.42fdb0d7471ead55f19005ca37b2ac63.jpg

Because hes red and white I'm thinking his name will be waldo!
Heres a picture of the tank. A huge fan of the Hygrophila Polysperma. From what I've read an easy stem plant to keep too! I also planted a minni Tiger Lotus behind the cholla wood.

image.jpeg.9df90c990a9a268bd1aebb5c377f13b7.jpeg

I've also come across some Humpback Limia for sale. This is a fish ive been hunting down for over year at this point. I havent been able to find any instock that ship to Canada... that was until yesterday. So I am seriously considering purchasing some. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 5/24/2022 at 1:14 PM, Patrick_G said:

I just got caught up on you journal. The new tank is looking nice and the Betta you chose is a stunner! When is he showing up? 

Ilitterly just got the notifacation that the parcel was shipped! I am assuming by Thursday he will arrive. 

• Like 1

Waldo the betta has arrived! Hes very happy and healthy looking. 

Hes been expoloring around his tank, and has gotten stuck in the corners of the tanks a few times. He seems to like swimming in and out of the bubbels coming from the sponge filter. Hes said hello to all of his fellow snail residents. He doesnt seem to mind them. I didn't realize how pretty he is from the pictures on their site... but i love his fluorescent blue. The new light arrived too. It defentley makes the red in the tank pop...im a fan.

20220526_080605.jpg.f142337abbec27bc489ab43c2c7036d4.jpg

20220526_080626.jpg.89db30a023b33d0f6a219357c15272fd.jpg

20220525_194949.jpg

20220525_194949.jpg

• Love 5

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a little bit since i last updated this thread.

I purhcased some limia the other week. They arrived happy and healthy, and not a single one has passed. yayyy. Theres also a few pregnant females. so thats a second yayyy. 

I put these guys in the 20 gallon long that house the platys. The platys have moved up to the 40 breeder with the mollys. I also have just recentley purchased some xtreme community crave. Its hard to locate some of the xtreme foods in canada, but a popular big box pet stores carries them, a little expensive but none the less worth it. These limia are impossible to take pictures of. Im not a fan with how the plants have grown, nor the tannins so when i return from my summer trip a rescape will defentley be happening.

20220614_174351.jpg.b6eec727e711af220ef223f563c96106.jpg20220614_174253.jpg.4f587a613e356b118d23871f855450b7.jpg

Waldo has been doing great, and so have the plants!

20220614_174555.jpg.db3387a09415c893c9ce4c2af0b53859.jpg20220614_174602.jpg.1f4e43227acba051d840efdacebf9ed0.jpgimage.jpeg.3094b035f75b86409e266de002ed9996.jpeg

I am leaving on June 28th, and will be gone for most of the summer. I will be working at a summer bible camp, and will only be home for one week. So to plan for this, i bought ice cube trays. All though that may sound a little weird, i have a great idea. Every square in the tray resembles one portion of feeding. I will portion out the feeding prior to leaving, so that the family member feeding the fish will just know that one square = 1 feeding. This way I dont need to worry about over feeding for a extended period of times.  I used to use little plastic shot glasses for this, but i felt like because im away for so long i need to use something that can carry more feedings. I will be home on some weekends where i can do waterchanges if neccesarry. Right now all of my aquariums are only getting top offs whenever needed which is about once every 3-4 weeks.

20220614_174209.jpg.781adbf8420a7a55a4eb305c92441912.jpgimage.jpeg.63c570065632a8c57a5038f1b2ef85a6.jpeg

Upside down shrimp pic🤪

20220614_174620.jpg.c2973bffc0ced0a5b3f4e83f0d4748ae.jpg20220614_174627.jpg.b7e9e8b1d30b32cc286ebe7736418b74.jpg

• Like 4