On 9/29/2021 at 10:30 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Hugo sounds like a hilarious critter.

he really is. I wanna get a video of him eating tommorrow morning. He swallos the pellets two at a time, and with the floating hornwort its tough for him to get at the pellets. Its very fun to watch.

Today the goal was to make room for the pumpkin shrimp. I have been in talks with a local hobbyist who is willing to sell his beautiful pumpkin shrimp to me. I was originally going to order some off SKA Shrimps. Its a canadian shrimp breeder located in Calgary, Alberta. All though I thought it would be better if I was able to get some off a local hobbyist, because the shrimp have already grown up in smillar water. And I dont have to worry about shipping. 

So I moved the rummynose back into the community, and Hugo back into his aquarium. 

Heres a picture of the shrimp provided by the seller that I'm getting:

1861726817__35.jpg.f250392e8664bdf4144fe34f0e49e22d.jpg

I will soon be moving Penny into the community tank as well.

And as promised @CalmedByFish heres a video of hugos last meal in the shrimp bowl:

• Like 3
  • Love 3

The shrimp are arriving tomorrow! I will post an update with pictures and such then.

But today I was doing a little more prepping for the shrimp.

I tested the water parameters of the shrimp bowl:

Amonia and Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: somewhere between 0-5.

Ph: 7.3

Today I moved dobby the nirite snail from hugos tank into the bowl as well as some other miscellaneous snails into the shrimp bowl. I love snails! 

The guppy tank was litterly flooding with  pogostemon stellatus octopus, so I moved some into the shrimp bowl as well. And then I put more in Vader the Rescue Bettas Tank.

Today was a no feed day for hugo. I have been overfeeding him lately, and so he's been a little fat. But I did get a few pictures of him:

20211001_171721.jpg.d672e2323ecd192056b2a819e71ce0e0.jpg20211001_171700.jpg.365c26da4422a457d14da7c3da588ceb.jpg20211001_171717.jpg.ac66bc699722b90c612d9033441f6a1e.jpg

I ordered some shrimp food as well!

Coming within the next few days is some Shrimp King Complete. And then in another order I have Xtreme Krill Flakes (mostly for the community tank) and then some Hikari Shrimp Cuisine. Theres so many shrimp foods on the market I wanna try them all! I may be visiting my LFS tomorrow in which I might pick up the New Life Spectrum Shrimp Food. 

Edited by James Black
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 9/23/2021 at 5:31 PM, James Black said:

I have been quite absent on the forum, as well as not very present with my aquariums. I haven't sat down and really enjoyed them. Often forget to feed, etc. The motivation just hasn't been there lately. I feel like this is because of my work load. I have been working almost every day, and on top of that have a bunch of school papers due. However today I don't work, and I told my self to take a day off and enjoy the fish. Do some waterchanges, and really get my hands wet.

Haha I've been the same way as well. Looking forward to see your progress on your tanks, and good luck with school!

• Like 1

My shrimp food came today! So I dropped a pellet in, but I found that the bowl smelt wierd. Like something was rotten. All the shrimp are dead. I tested water parameters immediatley after. Nitrite, Amonia, Nitrate all in check. However my PH was at a 6.6!!! When introducing these shrimp a week ago it was at 7.3!!! So the massive swing in PH is what seems to be the problem. 

I have a busy weekend coming up with Canada Thanksgiving, however I do plan on taking the entire aquarium down and restaring. I will still be adding in shrimp, but this time perhaps from a more reputable seller. Still Pumpkin Shrimp too. I don't know if I'll keep the deep substrate, with soil on the bottom. But I know one thing will be for sure, I want a light, and not nearly as manny tannins. I couldn't see any of the shrimp because of the tannins. And possibly with water movement.

A few of the shrimp had fuzzy feet when I got them, would this be something bad to look out for?

Edited by James Black
  • Sad 7

Fuzzy feet on shrimp is fungal.  Yes it is bad. I did a quick google to get you some pictures of common things to look for. This one had great pictures and some descriptions.  I did not read the entire thing so I do not know if it’s a great article but I looked at the pictures and they correctly identified all the things I am personally familiar with. If it a bad article I apologize but the pictures are correctly labeled. https://aquariumbreeder.com/understanding-dwarf-shrimp-diseases-and-parasites/

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I havent been very active with my aquariums after the shrimp death. However today I took down the bowl, and I plan to set it back up with a new scape when my plant order arrives. Heres a picture of my cart:
1195944093_Screenshot(4).png.cf1bc1276ec8a3035486d5e3b65e827a.png

I have decided that Im going to rescape hugos tank aswell. I dont like that the big peice of wood in the tank doesnt allow me to put many plants in it. I'm going to replace the wood with some dragonstone I have lying around. The anubias, java fern, and buce are for hugos tank. All the other plants are for the new bowl. 

I found these  really small sponge filters on amazon that I'm going to use as well. I would like to use a fluval 3.0 on this bowl, but because the tank is round I dont think I'll find away to mount it. So I'm going to use this one.

The plants should be here on tuesday.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I've decided that 5 aquariums are too much for me to handle right now. So I'm holding off on the shrimp bowl. Vader just passed away, and I wanna get a female betta to replace him. Vader was a rescue better I equired less then 6 months ago.

Edited by James Black
  • Sad 7

Bowls are interesting I’ve had ups and downs with them. I’ve got mine down pretty well but you never know. Sorry you had this trouble @James Black. I’m glad you’re taking a bit of a break and I’d step back and feel good about your plan before you execute it. Sorry about Vader great job with the rescue and best of luck with the new female betta.

• Like 1

Aww sorry to hear James. I also hear you on 5 being enough. I have the same plus an active 2 gallon QT right now and it takes a lot of time daily to do my maintenance- which when one works 10-12 hour days takes a big chunk out of free time. One must know ones limits. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2

I’m terribly sorry to hear of Vader’s passing. My condolences. Throughout the years I’ve also experienced the “enough” and the too many. When the zeal and intense interest comes back you may move forward or decide you do have enough. Either way you seem good at following your instincts. I hope Hugo is prospering for you. 

• Like 1

I’m really glad you got to give Vader a good few months before his passing. I’m also feeling worn down at the moment so I relate with your desire to downsize. Hopefully you’re able to enjoy those few aquariums more. I’m sure Hugo will enjoy the extra attention!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well a little bit of an uodate.

I did lots of matnience on hugos tank and did a 90% waterchange. The water is looking crystal clear. 

The community tank is looking just fine.

And my 10 gallon guppy setup I would like to move the guppies and find a new fish to breed. Im thinking perhaps some rams or other livebearers. 

Now for the bad news...

My angelfish died this morning. I woke up to him floating with his nose up and eyes popped out. He was the first fish I ever got and was probably my favorite fish. Kind of like my mascot fish, everytime I thought of my fish I thought of him. Here are some pictures I found of him...

This was the day I got him

20191124_132211.jpg.f1a5afccd413ae473b92f594b5ad8941.jpg

And here was my most recent picture of him:

20210816_153853.jpg.beaff89900b19c1e1bda4abeda6ce765.jpg

I am still deciding what I want to do with the community tank. Im thinking maybe getting rid of all the livestock and starting new with a breeding project in here. My intial thought was a breeding pair of apistos. Maybe by 6 juvinille ones and let 2 of them pair off giving away the 4, is that a good idea? 

For the guppy tank I have no idea. Im wanting a species of limia or goodied but i cant find them at alll. So maybe something like least killifish. Or maybe I do another south american cichlid like rams.

• Like 5
  • Sad 3