On 1/15/2022 at 10:11 PM, Hobbit said:

Wow! That’s exciting!! 

Also nice new name! 😃

Thanks! I was wanting something more creative and something less revealing.

I thought it was pretty fitting considering I live in the second coldest major city in the world (winnipeg, manitoba). it was -30Celsuis, or -22 Farenheit this past week.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/16/2022 at 12:15 AM, FrozenFins said:

it was -30Celsuis, or -22 Farenheit this past week.

Oh wow that’s freezing!

Do a lot of people keep fish in Winnipeg? It seems like the fish hobby does well in places with “bad” weather, but when it’s that cold I’m sure it requires some extra precautions!

On 1/16/2022 at 9:08 AM, Hobbit said:

Oh wow that’s freezing!

Do a lot of people keep fish in Winnipeg? It seems like the fish hobby does well in places with “bad” weather, but when it’s that cold I’m sure it requires some extra precautions!

We have 3 Fish stores in winnipeg, plus one fish importer thats open for the public. So really 4 Fish stores in Winnipeg. As well as the Winnipeg Aquarium Society. 

• Love 2

Now that hugo has passed on his aquarium has remained empty. I just rescaped and totally was looking forward to him in the new scape.

However its time I start thinking about new inhabitants. I dont know how much I want to do another betta. I love bettas, but after hugos death they just dont seem apealing. But I still want a small nano size fish with lots of personality. I was thinking a pea puffer! I thought that would be a cool experiance, and I have LOADS of snails I could feed him. Plus the frozen blood worms/ live baby brine I feed all my other fish.

There are very limited sites that sell fish that ship to canada. But there are a few. Theres one sit with pea puffers instock. However I dont think it would be very wise to pay for their $50 shipping for just one $5 pea puffer. So I am awaiting for some apistogramma borelli AND pea puffers to be instock at the same time before I make my purchase.

Heres a plant growth update on hugos tank:
20220123_165738.jpg.e0fcdf15eeed467f6e0f681073df5893.jpg

The dwarf sag has gone through a little melting. But the crypts have just recentley started taking off a little. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I totally understand your line of thinking. I gave up on Bettas after I lost my last one. I wouldn't steer you away from the direction you're going but I have to say, since I gave up on the idea of "center piece fish" or solo fish, I haven't been happier with my tanks. I have 9 CPDs in my tiny tank that are fun to watch (when they come out, I've made far too many great hiding spots for them) and even better my Flex9 which WAS going to be my Betta's home is now FULL of active life with 4 male Guppies, 4 male Endlers, 7 Ember Tetras, 1 Nerite snail and 1 lovely little Hillstream Loach. You have LOTS of wonderful options to honor Hugo. 

• Like 2

So sorry to hear Hugo passed away. James! ❤ I have the same feeling about getting another betta since Cosmo died, and his tank is still completely empty as I can't decide what to do with it. I too now have platy fry just a couple days old and am concentrating on that 20L for now. 

• Like 2

i did the same my betta megalodon died of popeye he past the last days in a big planted bowl i left that bowl with water until 2 months now that bowl is cleaned and ready for the next proyect 😌 at least he has her next generation growing {because i have bettta fry from him} cant wait to see your next proyect !!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A week ago I picked up this little guy...

20220204_160706.jpg.7ca989fd70913dd73efb4636a0d85878.jpg20220201_164246.jpg.8f05fe36f53ad2cab8276e84820061ee.jpg

I've named him Barry! Barry the Pea Puffer.

I got him from a fish store that was 20 minutes away, I've never been to this one. It was the perfect size IMO, a great selection of both dry goods and live stock. Seaming that they spealize in freshwater community tanks. They had great selection of plants also.

I've been feeding Barry every other day this past week. Mostly frozen blood worms, however also some live snails. I've fed him some frozen brine shrimp however he wasnt the biggest fan, but still ate it. He seems to wanna eat anything that comes in the tank, hes a chunky fella.

I have a 10 Gallon with a bunch of breeding platys, and lots of babies of course. It sits under my 40 breeder. However I found that theres enough space to put a 20long. of course this is exciting because its double the space. So I've started thinking about upgrading the tank. Slowly I will be acquiring various items for this new tank. I found a sweet peice of drift wood online that I want to use and purchased it today. I have a good idea of plants that I want for this tank. I want to try some dwarf chain sword. I'm simply waiting for my plant dealer to get some in stock so that I can get my plant order in. 

For lighting I'm thinking a fluval 3.0, but due to this being a very expensive light itll probably be the last thing I get for the tank. I'm going to be using a deep substrate with soil on the bottom layer and fine gravel on the top.

I currently have platies breeding in this tank and have been enjoying them lots. The plan is to transfer them over to the 20long for the first few months.

However I have some questions:
I've often really wanted to breed bristlnose plecos. And I found some wiked cool swordtails at the fish store. Which makes me interested in both. Do you think I could breed both a pair of bristlenose, and swordtails in a 20 long that is heavily planted?

• Like 2
  • Love 4

On 2/5/2022 at 10:39 PM, FrozenFins said:

I've often really wanted to breed bristlnose plecos. And I found some wiked cool swordtails at the fish store. Which makes me interested in both. Do you think I could breed both a pair of bristlenose, and swordtails in a 20 long that is heavily planted?

I bet you could! Especially if you don’t have too many swordtails. I know they’re usually bigger than platys, so I do think it would be a bit of a squeeze in that tank. However, from what I’ve seen with my bristlenose and my platys, both are VERY eager to breed and are likely to just go for it regardless of the amount of space. The key is going to be keeping up with the water quality.

Are swordtails somewhat nippy? If so, don’t go with long fin bristlenose.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 10:39 PM, FrozenFins said:

Do you think I could breed both a pair of bristlenose, and swordtails in a 20 long that is heavily planted?

Yes and no. My mom n dad BN pleco bred in a 20 l. Once they hit starting adult size 50% wc 3x a week to keep nitrates below 40 because mine are sensitive to nitrate. It goes over 40 the poo gets long like a rope. 20-30 it’s dash marks. That’s how I know they are sensitive to it. I put the babies (batch 1-60 2-70? I have to look 3 80+ and gets larger each time they can have I think 150-200/drop) mine spawn like clockwork every single month.  The babies take 3-4 months to grow to an acceptable rehoming size in my opinion. So looking at 3 spawns minimum at any given time.  I put the babies in a 20 long alone and still had to use 5 other established tanks to disperse them to due to heavy food competition. I did MINIMUM of 50% water change per day for nitrate because these thing eat like I have never seen and the babies are delicate and crazy sensitive to water quality and die easily It was WAY more work than I anticipated and I’m retired with time and tank space to do it. Breeding bristlenose is really not a hobby thing unless you have time space and more time and space. Feeding them is expensive much more so than I thought it would be. So yes you can breed them and keep the pair in a 20 long with w-3 x week water change but when the babies start rolling you will be quickly overwhelmed. I now pull the eggs prior to hatch and dispose because it was way to much.  Hope that helps. ADORABLE little pea 😍

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 3

Thanks @Guppysnail. I'm thinking I'll scratch the bristle nose idea until I have a bigger tank with some. Maybe I'll make it my summer breeding project when I have more time on hand.

For now I'm thinking I'll do swordtails, and perhaps another bottom dwelling fish like corydoras. However I would have to watch the eggs as I'm sure the swordtails will eat them and the babies. 

• Like 2

I ordered some driftwood from an aquascape online store located in ontario. The driftwood is intended for that future 20 long. Currently its sitting in a bucket of water to help it sink. I also ordered some frogbit. Figured might as well if I was already making an order, the frogbit was only $2.

And I FINALLY was able to locate some Apistogramma Borellii. I almost gave up on my search on borelli and went with cacatuoides. Thankfully I located a breeding pair on a online fish store located in Toronto. I have to admit the shipping was a bit much...$65, and $135 total. They should be here Tuesday. This was the picture I was provided with:

original-185-818x818.jpeg

And a picture of the nice chunk of wood I received:
Tiger Wood *TG1105M

• Like 3
  • Love 5

Heres a picture of the drift wood I got a few days ago. Its been in a bucket of water to help it sink when its time to scape.

20220213_130523.jpg.70f38bc476092a032087b6f7776edb90.jpg

Theres lots of nooks and crannies to propergate some rhizeome plants like anubias and buce.

My tanks have LOTS of snails. I'm thinking its because of how heavy I feed. Today I've fed Barry 5 of the snails.

20220213_130603.jpg.3808cd0a1f4332ec0b17ae3a9e6301a1.jpg

I might need to get a snail trap to trap these snails for barry. His diet latley has been consisting of snails and blood worms. He's most defentley a little spoiled. I'm gonna start hatching out some BBS on a regular basis so he will be getting some of that soon too.

The apistos that I bought are being delayed due to cold weather. Perhaps they will ship out next monday. The seller said they had an extra female and offered me it for $15. I'm still contimplating it. What do you guys think. Would it be better to have a trio or a pair?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Barrys tank was full of hair algae, however its looking to finally be under control. I did a big waterchange removing most of the water and had the light off for a few days.

The other day I fed barry 5 snails. Only two are left. He's looking very round and is currently trying to recover from eating so many snails. Heres a cute baby snail pic I took:
20220215_175230.jpg.8755674b54a01dc4cad00f4653f838fd.jpg

20220215_175553.jpg.361cb4753027e7e8348b5eafa6b6af55.jpg

The apsitogramma borelli pair that I ordered I'm expecting to be shipped in about a week and a half (28th) simply because its going to be cold next week to (-20sCelsuis). I'm willing to wait if it means the fish arrive healthy and safely. 

I'm starting to put together the steps for the 20 long. I have the driftwood... the next step is the plants. I might be putting a plant order together later this week. My thinking is I will continue to breed my platys, and then move on to swordtails and perhaps some corydora. Some shrimp would be cool, but im also certain the swordtails would eat them. 

• Like 4

On 2/15/2022 at 5:04 PM, FrozenFins said:

Some shrimp would be cool, but im also certain the swordtails would eat them. 

Depending on whether you chose to move past the critical mass of shrimp, before introducing the swords. Lots to be said about survival depending on the size of the group. 

• Like 1

Well as I said before in my last update:

On 2/15/2022 at 6:04 PM, FrozenFins said:

The other day I fed barry 5 snails. Only two are left. He's looking very round and is currently trying to recover from eating so many snails. 

Well it appears he ate too many snails. Yesterday he was really fat, I honestly thought time would help and didnt think much of it. I came home to dead barry. He wasn't in my company for very long...3weeks. But for the 3 weeks I owned a pea puffer, I thoroughly enjoyed my experiance.

• Sad 6