Killifish are fun. I have Gardneri at present and really like them. Highly encourage you to give them a try. 
Apistogramma breeding tank/group, there are harem breeders and monogamous Apistos. I would pick a harem breeder in that setup. I’d get a smallish tetra as dither or a livebearer as some breeders feel that livebearers release a hormone that spurs on breeding of other fish - this may be a wise tale. Heavily planted, several cave sites and wood with some leaf liter. It’ll be a fantastic tank. 
@James Blacksorry about your angelfish, beautiful specimen. 

• Like 1

It appears that hugus finrot has returned. For those who dont know march of last year Hugo had a severe case of finrot and almost died numerous times. His finrot hasnt come back since then. I have a journal of his finrot recover journey here if you wanna check it out. anyways i tried almost everything and nothing had worked. Keep in mind im in canada so most methods of treating fish diseases are incredibly expesnive and hard to find. 

The plan for now is to moderate him and make sure he is living a happy life. I wont be treating him with any medication as i found that last time it only made it worse. 

20211211_214153.jpg

20211211_214202.jpg

20211211_214150.jpg

• Sad 6

@Beardedbillygoat1975 all my water parameters seem to be fine (Nitrates: 25, nitrites and amonia: 0), none of my foods have expried either. Ive been completley puzzled on what the cause of stress is.

To change the topic a little bit. I found these gourgoes Albino Kribensis, would these work as breeding them in harems?

Edited by James Black
  • Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 8:44 PM, James Black said:

The plan for now is to moderate him and make sure he is living a happy life. I wont be treating him with any medication as i found that last time it only made it worse. 

20211211_214153.jpg

I'm not seeing any of the fuzzy indicators of a bacterial infection causing fin rot... does Hugo ever nip at his own tail? Boredom can lead to fin loss if the betta chooses to entertain himself by nipping his own tail.

Hanging betta mirrors can be used for a few minutes of cardio fish therapy and see if the fins start to recover. I have found the Co-op's Aquarium salt, plus various betta life enrichment toys, would heal up fins better than the fish medications 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well Boxing Day was sunday! Every year I try to make it down to the LFS on boxing day to take advantadge of their sales.

• 30% off all freshwater plants and fish
  • 50% off soft corals
  • 30% off SPS Corals
  • 20% off LPS Corals 

I didnt care so much about the saltwater sales as I dont own a saltwater aquarium. But they are a fish store that specializes in saltwater with still quite a nice selection of freshwater.

I gave back the Guppy Breeding Trio and moved Penny the angelfish into the community tank. Within the next few weeks everything in the community tank (inlcuding penny t) will go back to the LFS. Im still planning on doing a Apistogramm Breeding Project in there. Just have to source some.

So what did I get at the LFS?!

• Zebra Coral Platys x8
  • Gold Dust Hi-Fin Mollys x4 (I bought every last one of these as there wasnt much left)
  • Bag of Hornwort
  • Pack of Frozen Blood Worms

I put the Platys into the 10 gallon, hopping they will breed. I haven't sexed them all out completley, as I havent had time.

The Mollys went into the community tank. These are the only fish I plan on keeping in the community tank. It looks like I have 2 males and 2 Females. One of the females being already very pregnant.

The Hornwort also went into the community tank but I will be probably moving these around as it grows bigger.

I went on a skiing trip sunday evening and just got back earlier today so havent had the time to write up this post. I got back to one dead platy, but everyone else seems to be doing just fine.

Before I left I forgot to turn off the light to hugos tank, so its got some black hair algae. 

20211229_184949.jpg

20211229_184952.jpg

20211229_185235.jpg

20211229_185233.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Hugo is really not doing well and im fearing his last breath of air is coming. As some of you know he has had finrot troubles through out the course of the year that ive owned him. His finrot returned a few weeks ago and its only getting worse. No treatments have been helping. Testing the water almost daily! He now looks to have popeye as well. I'm thinking its only a matter of days before i say my last good bye.

• Sad 6

Oh no! Not our dear Hugo! 💔 I’m so sad to hear this. You have been an amazing betta dad and taken such good care of him—if he succumbs to fin rot, I can only guess his little immune system is weaker than it should be, or this particular bug is stronger than most. I’m so sorry James. 💔

• Like 1

I've sold all the fish in my community tank (aside from the mollys that are staying and one corydora that I didn't see when I was catching them).

I woke up this morning to feed all my fish. I head to the communtiy tank and count the mollys. "1..2...3.....wheres the 4th one?" I start looking around for it. As I'm looking I see something that blows me away! BABY MOLLYS! THEY ARE SO CUTE! I eventually find the 4th one, shes lying on the substrate probably recovering from giving birth. Ive never had baby fish before so I'm assuming this is normal..? None the less I am beyond excited 

Hugo is in his hopsital tank and looks like he might be making a full recovery! With him in the hospital tank I thought it was the perfect oppurtunity to rescaoe his tank. I wasn't happy with the current scape, i felt like there wasn't enough plants. So I did the hardscape today and will be adding the plants in when they arrive (I made the plant order today). I put one anubias in that was apart of the old scape. Ill attacth a picture of the hardscape when the water clears. 

Edited by James Black
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

Congratulations!!!!!

I would avoid catching anyone right now, and stressing momma. Looks like you have a good amount of plants for babies to hide in, so congratulations!!!

Love the cute little babies. Nothing like new fry to elevate joy in the hobby. 

• Like 1

My plant order for hugos rescape came in yesterday night, and I did the rescape this afternoon.

Hugo is currently in a hospital tank being treated for finrot. So it was an easy rescape without having to worry about disturbing or stressing any live stock, exluding the nerite snail.

I had the hardscaped finished a week ago

20220107_174011.jpg.383bcd9b04bfb1a618eec64b2e99abaf.jpg

I reused the dragon stone from the first scape I used with this aquarium, and the anubias was from the previous tank and was on a peice of wood.

The Plants I used in the scape:

• Anubias Nanna (as pictured above)
  • Bacopa Monniera - I've never used Bacopa in any one of my tanks so I'm excited to try it out.
  • Dwarf Sagitteria - I've used this in previous scapes and have had great sucsess
  • Crypt Undulatus Red (tissue culture)

Heres the final scape with all the plants:

20220110_161756.jpg.34f200c29a8f0f64f3e27684ab106c94.jpg

I'm really looking forward to when all the plants grow in as I think its gonna look amazing. I'm very pleased with how this turned out. 

I'm hopping I can move hugo back to this tank within a week. He's doing a lot better and has been way more active, however his finrot is still a bit of an issue. I'm thinking hes strong enough to obtain some antibiotics, however I'm in Canada so fish antibiotics are hard to find. Salt is always an option but I dont think I wanna go through that road again. Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

• Like 5

A little update on my molly babies. 

They've been growing nicely, I've counted about 4 total. Guessing this is the Mamma Mollies first birth that number seems correct.

20220114_184513.jpg.1ba07df269182f909f7c7e67422b9156.jpg20220114_184510.jpg.5ecd3436ad10a822e345216c41f16f6e.jpg

I'm looking forward to what these guys may look like when they are aduldts. 

I'm still trying to locate some Apistogramma to bread also in this tank. I'm able to locate some apistos online however I am unsure if they are male or female or let alone if they are a pair. Should I buy a male and female and hope that they pair up, or is it better to buy several juvinille apistos and wait for a pair to form outta those? 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

SOOO MANY BABIES😍!!!

The Mollies babies have been thriving and growning up so fast.

The Platys have given birth too. It looks like 2 generations from what I can see.

I didn't notice the platys until today upon my waterchange. But from the size of the fry it looks like perhaps 2 different mothers have given brith. 

20220115_175434.jpg.3d7baa573449265ea4e91597d2b7b6da.jpg20220115_175456.jpg.26c264fb0789c236f04945907e9dda2d.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2