A while back I decided to use bubbles inside the tank. Most reefers stay away from bubbles because apparently they can get stuck inside the fishies gills. All my critters are intertidal, and they get battered by waves and bubbles and seem happy about it. The micro bubbles come from the internal skimmer bleeding a little bit, and I am now pleasantly surprised to see noticeable growth on the macros!

The sponge ones are growing, and the other reds are simply stunning!

PXL_20211004_171421751_MP.jpg.699666dfe1cfa8480abb1be2144f39e3.jpg

PXL_20211004_173512875.jpg.c11225775eac3f8a784e9062e5649b2a.jpg

PXL_20211004_173730254.jpg.bb77ea3785fee429d3a18c7267732f6f.jpg

This is the underside of one of the anemones as she was moving around:

PXL_20211004_154016571_MP.jpg.b5cb40fbdb3d6978ddd128440f795dd4.jpg

• Like 6
  • Love 4

On 10/4/2021 at 10:52 AM, Dwayne Brown said:

Wow, I have never seen this thread before. It is so cool that you have a lot of the species I actually see a lot of the time in an aquarium. Now you have me wanting to try something similar to this. Thanks for posting this amazing thread.

You are quite welcome! 🙂

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, ChemBob said:

@eatyourpeas are these all macro algae? Curious, do you one if these grow in brackish as well as full salt water? Be interesting to try some of the brackish species with a macro algae tank. 

As far as I know the reds are marine. I have not seen these in the areas where FW mixes in with SW. Having said that, the gravity registers at 1.019 sometimes, especially after heavy rains, but those macros are not nearby. Water lettuce and rockweed are, though. Perhaps I should explore other areas.

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 11:04 AM, ChemBob said:

@eatyourpeas are these all macro algae? Curious, do you one if these grow in brackish as well as full salt water? Be interesting to try some of the brackish species with a macro algae tank. 

Some of the macros in the intertidal zone can be found in the brackish bays of the Puget Sound. Red algae is strictly found in saltwater areas where freshwater mixing is minimal. The green Ulva species are fairly common in brackish areas. 

If you do go brackish collecting just be careful of where you are. Most brackish marshes and bays are protected and strictly enforced for collecting as it's where smolt salmon spend a large part of their adolescent life. Even in college and working for the state I have been stopped a dozen times in these areas by WDFW and tribal police.

• Like 3

On 10/4/2021 at 11:41 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

If you do go brackish collecting just be careful of where you are.

I would not collect anywhere except my backyard, as I do not fancy the Yo-Yo loach attire on me. 😉

It would be interesting to see what else can be found and just take pictures and bring the refractometer to document the finds. Any excuse to get out to the water! I am not aware of much salmon on our island, as most of the FW I see is suburban runoff. 😝

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 1:41 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Even in college and working for the state I have been stopped a dozen times in these areas by WDFW and tribal police

I don't have wasy access to a total zone, though it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility for a day trip. 🤔 

I'll definitely check on any laws or regulations before I do any collecting, though I don't have a tank to do that in at the moment anyway. 

@ChemBob I have been able to harvest seaweed with a shellfish/seaweed license (However I do it for human consumption) And it appears one could even get fish from public areas to keep in a tank. After some research it seems that one would have to get a fishing license, then lawfully capture the fish using a fishing method, then have a Fish transport permit https://wdfw.wa.gov/licenses/fishing/fish-stocking-transport# (link) which would allow one to transport live fish within Washington state. Technically if someone had all this and caught a fish using tiny hooks or some other legal method they could then transport the fish to their house and house it in an aquarium. 

This is not legal advice just what I found on the internet. 

• Like 1

Absolutely! Take a trip out to the other islands during low tide! We really do have some beautiful waterways and especially during fall you can see some invertebrates and fish you wouldn't normally see!

3-spined sticklebacks and smaller sculpins with some fun snail species would make for a great brackish setup. There are tons of places you can collect such as old oyster reefs. Definitely don't want to scare anyone off. Sometimes it's easier to just call one of the hotlines and see about what permits you need if any and what to do when an officer is curious what you are doing. I did this when I was younger and doing herpetology surveys.

• Like 2

On 10/4/2021 at 2:23 PM, Dwayne Brown said:

within Washington state

Not quite the coast of be on. I'm on the gulf coast, so different rules and regs. I'll give this advice: mange sure you check your local laws before you do any collecting. No telling what laws are out there. A call to your local wildlife department would probably give you the info you need. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2021 at 10:37 AM, Biotope Biologist said:

Really shows the secret life of tidepools!

There is so much there! I just came back from the shore, and it is beautifully overcast but the water was not quite as clear as I would've hoped. I am dying to see how the marine life changes with the Autumn weather!

I have found a new bit in the tank: (Nucella lamellosa). Need to get a better picture of it, but guess who kept getting in front of it!

PXL_20211006_161802756.jpg.8b1633e1ab5876f0133fc1d7c33ef5e9.jpg

PXL_20211006_161557867.jpg.286b86ce1759562b89b7067e90097780.jpg

Unfortunately today, my favorite photobomber is no more. While I was feeding Ursula Flerken he tried to steal her food, and instead became it. She was waaaay faster!

PXL_20211006_173752746.jpg.d9eacf1e00e1d1736db0365e43357889.jpg

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Sad 6