On 10/14/2021 at 1:52 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Ursula Ferken is a beastie! I’m surprised that her victims haven’t figured out this fact yet  but it does make for one of the most entertaining journals on here!

I think that is how nature works, otherwise predators would not be able to catch anything. And yes, she is a beast! And a smug one at that!

PXL_20211014_200816764.jpg.72038bc9b22c73b093080a9ba0238fb1.jpg

The good news is the tip of Jeena's damaged leg has full sensitivity, which will allow her to find food. I fed her some nori and she happily felt it and took it. Also, she was able to climb back up to the sponge where I took the picture showing her two missing limbs. and the area where they should have been:

PXL_20211014_200750058.jpg.2e1d08749f05c89c5ee73ee91f983a68.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 3

On 10/14/2021 at 3:11 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I think that is how nature works, otherwise predators would not be able to catch anything. And yes, she is a beast! And a smug one at that!

PXL_20211014_200816764.jpg.72038bc9b22c73b093080a9ba0238fb1.jpg

The good news is the tip of Jeena's damaged leg has full sensitivity, which will allow her to find food. I fed her some nori and she happily felt it and took it. Also, she was able to climb back up to the sponge where I took the picture showing her two missing limbs. and the area where they should have been:

PXL_20211014_200750058.jpg.2e1d08749f05c89c5ee73ee91f983a68.jpg

Love Jeena!

I wonder if she forgot she was a softshell, and tried to steal food from Ursula?

I know that I used to take the kids to watch the various creatures in the tidal pools, and we noticed that crabs would steal food from pretty much everyone, if they thought they would get away with it.

I guess we never saw the soft shell attempts at theft.🤔

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 5:30 PM, Torrey said:

Love Jeena!

I wonder if she forgot she was a softshell, and tried to steal food from Ursula?

I know that I used to take the kids to watch the various creatures in the tidal pools, and we noticed that crabs would steal food from pretty much everyone, if they thought they would get away with it.

I guess we never saw the soft shell attempts at theft.🤔

They do steal food from the anemones whenever they get a chance. I have seen them insert their claws all the way inside a closed anemone prying until the get some out. It pains me to say she probably had it coming, but I still feel bad. The other anemones are not as aggressive as Ursula Flerken, but they all came from the same place, so I hope Jeena and The Acrobat are more cautious around her from here on.

I had to feed Jeena yesterday. She would not come down from the filter, even during feeding. She gladly took food, so at least she does have the appetite.

Lights are still off, so I have not seen the state of affairs after last night.

On 10/15/2021 at 6:44 PM, Chris said:

Finally read all the way through this thread. I'm now convinced I not only want a temperate tank - I need a temperate tank.

They are a lot of fun! Very different flora and fauna from the tropical ones, and this looks silly under blue lights!

On a different note, I am experimenting with filter socks. I went down to 50 micron and the water is amazingly clear, without the yellow tinge. Keeping track of how long before they need to be changed.

• Like 6

On 10/16/2021 at 12:15 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

I didn't know that!  You are holding out on me.  😉  I'm still running 200, but the water looks decent, so not sure I need to change.  But now I'm thinking about it...

Do not lose sleep over it. The SW tank generates so much waste compared to a FW. So far quite happy with the 50 micron! I was running 180 micron, but this is so much better!

• Like 3

On 10/16/2021 at 3:51 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Do not lose sleep over it.

Oh, I'm going to be pacing the halls, thinking of the smallest micron filter sock I can find.  I must achieve minimum size!  😜

On 10/16/2021 at 3:51 PM, eatyourpeas said:

So far quite happy with the 50 micron! I was running 180 micron, but this is so much better!

I'm glad you are so happy with the results!  It does pique my interests though.  What changes, if any, would a finer filter do for me?  The 200 never clogs.  Does that mean I should go smaller?  Should I be aiming for a filter I need to change regularly?  What does optimality look like?  I could go on (as you know), but I'll save the average reader from my endless queries. 

On 10/16/2021 at 4:33 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

What changes, if any, would a finer filter do for me?

You may not need to go smaller. What works for the SW tank is that BB is quite different than FW, so not overloading the sump with organics extends the time between sump cleanings.

On 10/16/2021 at 4:37 PM, Streetwise said:

@OnlyGenusCaps, the Co-Op plant bags are actually fine filters, with decent flow. Reduce, reuse, and recycle.

They are indeed. They also make for quick cycling material on a new tank!

• Like 2

This is a sad entry.

Jeena had been perched on the filter all day, and I was going to target feed her after doing WC on the FW tanks.

This is what I saw when I came to her tank:

PXL_20211016_233757267.jpg.1702434c4a66ed478b0f9e809badd7ba.jpg

The Acrobat had her claw and her leg and was eating them!

PXL_20211016_233354580.jpg.19ae8b29ecde5b729792666e802f3b02.jpg

From the side of the tank I could see Jeena on the bottom, and this what she looked like up close:

PXL_20211016_233841352.jpg.398216795bb239f9625f8a49795d71bc.jpg

He had not only taken her limbs, but put a big crack on her head!

I thought she was done for, but then as I got closer and moved my hand in front of her, she saw me and moved, retreating into the sea lettuce:

PXL_20211016_233951227.jpg.112641649cd8627ddb8e4b78c4612cb7.jpg

PXL_20211016_233957326.jpg.57eb261d3190b5e22c1d20eeea4a03ee.jpg

The Acrobat dropped her limbs, only to be caught by Ursula Flerken:

PXL_20211016_234716924.jpg.1250628109f00bb3865931318a15a34b.jpg

Jeena's leg scent has attracted the sculpins, searching for food and getting dangerously close to Ursula Flerken:

PXL_20211016_234746752.jpg.cb80d71e4bcd05fd10aafb821383b6b1.jpg

PXL_20211017_000051280.jpg.cda14ca23eae89c814443bbdf0e2bdbc.jpg

There are still a leg and a claw inside of Ursula Flerken, but somehow she had room for more:

PXL_20211017_001101394.jpg.b9a679507a680145cf87cb48f343e125.jpg

I checked on Jeena under the sea lettuce and she was still moving her mouth, so I let her be for a while. When I got back to the tank, The Acrobat had found her:

PXL_20211017_005911295.jpg.4073384ccdf88e3dd892942a87d12d65.jpg

By the time the tank lights went out, Jeena was no more... 🙁

PXL_20211017_015433865.NIGHT.jpg.f9f11e9b2aa14c8b84ebd4054b7d386f.jpg

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Sad 10

On 10/17/2021 at 4:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

Underwater life seems so zen when you pass a tank and glance in. When you watch for extended periods of time over the life of the tank, you realize it really is survival of the fittest.

I suspect the Puget Sound Biotope is more of a slice of nature than most community aquariums folks have.  Indeed most people carefully craft their captives to avoid these sort of natural interactions occurring.  It is to @eatyourpeas' great credit that she has set up a true place to "Enjoy Nature Daily".  Her log reminds me of a nature documentary, where she holds the cinematographer's ethic - don't interfere.  It is not easy for the cameraman on your favorite nature show to watch the hyena succeed in getting to the lion cubs.  Surely they could intervene in these artificially small spaces we have placed these creatures in called "preserves".  But with journalistic integrity they document how the natural world works instead.  I think, happy or sad updates, this is why this journal has 18 people following it as of today.  I know today must have been hard to watch, but I am thankful for your persistence Eatyourpeas, and for creating and documenting a world where we see the process of nature play out.  Thank you!

• Like 8

On 10/17/2021 at 2:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

RIP Jena 😢. Underwater life seems so zen when you pass a tank and glance in. When you watch for extended periods of time over the life of the tank, you realize it really is survival of the fittest.  It’s intriguing. Mother nature allows nothing to go to waste. 

They are indeed full intense moments that we do not see. I feel fortunate to be able to learn so much from this little box!

Thank you, @OnlyGenusCaps, but I think you give me too much credit. Frankly, I did not really know what I was signing myself up for. I wouldn't change anything, but there are certain times when this teacher tank leaves me exhausted. Predation is the name of the game here, for sure. A daily dose of it can be taxing sometimes.

I do not know what state the tank is yet. Lights should come on soon and we shall see what the state of affairs is. I was in awe at the size difference between the two crabs. Jeena's shell was easily twice that of The Acrobat's. Had Ursula Flerken not left her disabled, I am sure we would have seen a different outcome. The kelp crabs are very territorial, but know not to engage with someone their size unless they know they have a clear advantage. He seized the opportunity.

I would not do anything differently. I am learning so much, and for that I am extremely grateful! I do agree with you regarding respecting the biotope aspect of this tank, and will stick with it, pain or not.

• Like 5

Nature may be cruel, but you keep us distracted with that upbeat music! 😁

Seriously though, I love the music you use in your videos. 

This tank and the lessons we learn from it remind me of the first time I watched a nature documentary that showed the entirety of a wolf/lion/African wild dog hunting chase (can’t remember which). I was maybe in middle or high school. And what I saw that I’d never seen before is that the predators don’t kill their prey before eating it. They dive right in as soon as it’s pinned. No one goes over and makes sure the animal is dead. They don’t care. It was really disturbing but it was also an important lesson. Nature is beautiful and calming and healing but it is also cruel and violent and dangerous. It has no concern for morality, because it has no concern at all. It just is what it is.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 10/18/2021 at 2:31 PM, Hobbit said:

Nature may be cruel, but you keep us distracted with that upbeat music! 😁

Seriously though, I love the music you use in your videos. 

This tank and the lessons we learn from it remind me of the first time I watched a nature documentary that showed the entirety of a wolf/lion/African wild dog hunting chase (can’t remember which). I was maybe in middle or high school. And what I saw that I’d never seen before is that the predators don’t kill their prey before eating it. They dive right in as soon as it’s pinned. No one goes over and makes sure the animal is dead. They don’t care. It was really disturbing but it was also an important lesson. Nature is beautiful and calming and healing but it is also cruel and violent and dangerous. It has no concern for morality, because it has no concern at all. It just is what it is.

If the predator takes time to check their prey is dead, they might miss out on the meal entirely.  Other predators are too quick to come along and potentially drive them off their meal.  You don’t really see many fat animals in nature.  They may look round, but it’s often big bellies fermenting difficult food stuffs (orangutans, pandas) or like bears prepping for winter hibernation/estivation.

This microcosm is a fantastic reminder of that, a beautiful tank, and my saltwater fix without having to run a marine tank.  @eatyourpeas, I thank you for this contribution to the forum and for enriching my life!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thank you all for your continued encouragement. I really like the little glimpse this tank gives me into the nearby ocean.

Nature is just doing its thing here. I am the student, she is the wise teacher. I feel spoiled because I can stare at this tank for a long time and notice minute changes, moments of predation, moments of glory. I could not enjoy those if I was diving, as I would run out of air judging from the amount of observation time it takes to experience most events.

I set out earlier to find some more rockweed and the water was littered with crab bits. The drama was going on in nature as well. Lots of Dungeness crabs in the water, about 5-6" in shell size. I found the rockweed and brought home a whole bag of crab claws full of meat. Fed some to the critters and froze the rest. My guess is the herons had feast this morning during low tide, and/or seagulls. All the bodies were emptied out but the limbs were not. Maybe too much work for too little meat.

I am now wondering if I am feeding enough. I fed the critters this morning, but as soon as all that crab hit the tank water everyone went bananas! I just cracked the claws and threw them in shell and all. Wow!

Normally peaceful sculpins were furiously tearing at the meat, but not being aggressive towards each other. It was incredible!

Sorry I do not have pictures of the water scene, but I do not take my phone with me when I go in the water. But I do smell like crab, ask my husband! 😝

• Like 4