Gave my dwarf sag a trim...

8 hours ago, StephenP2003 said:

The trimmed leaves usually die back anyway as new leaves are growing, so when I do I trim, I just go full teenage boy "f- it, let's go full buzz cut." Funny how they call it "dwarf' as it towers over some of my stem plants.

I wondered about the name too, @StephenP2003! Because yeah, it's growing MUCH taller than other plants. I don't think I've had it long enough to have any die-back yet. Hopefully it'll still look great. It's sending out runners everywhere, too! Definitely a happy plant right now. 

50 minutes ago, Alesha said:

I wondered about the name too, @StephenP2003! Because yeah, it's growing MUCH taller than other plants. I don't think I've had it long enough to have any die-back yet. Hopefully it'll still look great. It's sending out runners everywhere, too! Definitely a happy plant right now. 

I have a lot Sagittaria that grows in the creek in my backyard. I think there are about 2 dozens different species of Sagittaria that grow in my state (North Carolina). Our aquarium dwarf Sagittaria, Sagittaria subulata, is found naturally from Massachusetts to Florida and west to Alabama.

This sag in my creek was about knee high before getting knocked back by a 22°F hard frost a couple of mornings ago:

image.png.f306c9aa247d178384bb5cef1aa9c75f.png

Smallness in the genus is a relative thing, and every other member of this genus is huge compared to Sagittaria subulata which is why it goes by the name of 'Dwarf Sagittaria'.

In my angelfish breeding aquariums, the plants produced from runners (in the foreground) stay reasonably short.

image.png.3a0bfed17ada79373781e535ccee3339.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1