Started a few years back with golden shortfin male bred to the best regular longfin female i had to create F1. 

All F1 came out as standard shortfin fish, but carry the gene for gold and/or longfin. Since both gene are recessive, to get a golden longfin(double recessive) the baby will need to have both recessive gene of the gold and longfin from both parent.

Next step was choosing the best F1 to breed with themselves in hope they happen to carry the 2 gene. Chances are 25% non carry/50% carry but no show/25% carry and show. In real life I got less that 10% that came out gold and about 25% came out longfin.(longfin at this time was very low quality, they just show sign of being long-"er" than shortfin). But with my luck I happen to get a very nice golden longfin in this batch(bottom photo at 4 month old).20200205_003301.jpg.5d022f36ca03dc19ca07be6dede10c7e.jpg

Breeding F2 with F2

So I ended keeping 2 golden longfin male and 3 longfin female 1 gold and 2 regular. Only keeping the golden babies(F3). Took the F3 and pair them back to their father(F2). Bottom photo.. Young fish aren't long enough, they wasn't even 4 month old yet.20200807_235304.jpg.7b9b3478ad1992541c4017436f74c8e4.jpg

Right now F4 is growing up as fry. And I have already started a new pairing for a different set of F1 so ill have something to cross to when the F4 stuff gets too inbred. Bottom photo is the parents of the new F1 completely unrelated to the first family.20200605_001605.jpg.846afcd8dc1fe1a93bb28b19f5f89398.jpg

Backtracking a bit, the first family all had yellowtips or whitetips, but 2 fish in F3 batch. They were longfin regular color fish that carry the gold gene, they are green/red. So I put them together hoping they kick out a few golden fry with a different fin color.

I'm also crossing F4 to shortfin gold and F4 to F3(uncle) just to have something different to bring back into the family.

Hopefully guy/guy are going the same and we can cross bloodline one day. Its pretty fun when you go back is see their history.

If you made it this far thanks, I do enjoy working with these fish..I'll photo bomb from here.....

20200728_004054.jpg.445e93671a6d3c263cd91af4a99f3d65.jpg20200708_000711.jpg.3c2b7538ea9c1128d1a2f248d541e6f7.jpg20200128_025132.jpg.de667912370cfa39aa74574b7665285e.jpg20200817_011651.jpg.c601ae7715390ac548f646f0ffddeb83.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2

• Administrators

Nice work. I’ve played with gold London white clouds before. The strain I had never made any babies. Had several groups of white clouds breeding both normal and longfin but gold kingdoms never produced fry. I’ve suspected that they become a lethal gene when bred together. Any experience like that yet? 

I had assumed something like this was the case cause you almost never see gold longfins for sale.

this gives me hope to try again. Been like 10 years since I tried gold longfin breeding last. 

This is super cool @WhitecloudDynasty  ..I wouldn't call myself a fish breeder...but i do breed (snakes)

My particular obsession is pairing ressive genes together and I love danios 

here's a video worth checking out...its about ballbpythons....but a double ressive project is a double ressive project, doesn't matter if its ball pythons, danios, or donkeys...the math is the same

When he is talking about "double het" that would be your F1 generation...het, short for heterozygous, means its carrying a copy of a gene from one parent ergo it is not visual for the gene and double het, well its carrying 1 copy of 2 different genes

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Cory said:

Nice work. I’ve played with gold London white clouds before. The strain I had never made any babies. Had several groups of white clouds breeding both normal and longfin but gold kingdoms never produced fry. I’ve suspected that they become a lethal gene when bred together. Any experience like that yet? 

I had assumed something like this was the case cause you almost never see gold longfins for sale.

this gives me hope to try again. Been like 10 years since I tried gold longfin breeding last. 

My F4 babies are pure golden longfin and 100% comes out gold, I'm now just working to make them longer. Making them cleaner,healthier, some more variety in color and genetic before I introduce them to the market. I hate to be the breeder that make a family of fish that ppls will talk bad about. 

Same happen to me 10 year ago with golden longfin I bought, they wasn't producing any fry. My guess is they was too inbred, some ppls are scare or don't have the time to put in the work crossing them out and working them back in.  Maybe it was a bad gene, who really know. Just like highfin platy had a bad gene, now breeder made or found a better gene for highfin and they are amazing now.

You should try again and we can trade in the future. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Speakeasy said:

This is super cool @WhitecloudDynasty  ..I wouldn't call myself a fish breeder...but i do breed (snakes)

My particular obsession is pairing ressive genes together and I love danios 

here's a video worth checking out...its about ballbpythons....but a double ressive project is a double ressive project, doesn't matter if its ball pythons, danios, or donkeys...the math is the same

When he is talking about "double het" that would be your F1 generation...het, short for heterozygous, means its carrying a copy of a gene from one parent ergo it is not visual for the gene and double het, well its carrying 1 copy of 2 different genes

Sweet video, its easier with fish since I get about 100-200 fry every set so my chancesgets better. It'll be more fun if I had the room and time. 

Hopefully someone is doing the same

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Putting 2 pair together, hopefully their fry will be old enough to work with this summer. 

I'll be ready for this year summer tubbing!

Breeding-

crossing out, crossing back in, introducing new blood from the gold, introducing new blood from the regular longfin....breeding uncle to niece, aunt to nephew......

Doing everything i can to keep them clean.20210203_003609.jpg.19a44b3620b030a1881acdb2a6f34fb2.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Beautiful! I left my Whiteclouds in 40 breeders in the basement this year with my Dojos and did CPDs, Ricefish and shrimp in tubs this year. I missed seeing my Whiteclouds outdoors though. They are always so outgoing and happy outside 🙂

• Like 2