What is your favorite fish to keep?

Chiclid addict

I love corys as well--they are just some of my favorites to watch squiggling everywhere!  I'm also very partial to our betta--he has a lot of personality and will eat out of my fingers, which is just cool 🙂 He's also been totally chill with his tankmates.  

• Like 3

I found out recently that the ones I enjoy the most are the otos. I would like a real big gang just hanging around in the tank doing their thing. seven at the moment but at least double that. the first thing I down I come home Is trying to find them all. Find them a little bit of a challenge, and I worry  that they don't get enough food. When they slowly glide through the water together they look awesome! 

• Like 1

I want to say my shellies or my fancy goldfish, however if I had to pick only 1 then it would be rainbow fish. There are too many colors, plus they’re a community fish, plus the breeding behavior, etc etc 

Currently, I have 11 Rhadinocentrus Ornatus Searys Creek and 18 Melanotaenia Boesemani Aytinjo in a 75 gallon. I could watch them all day. 

• Like 1

I know people probably tire of hearing about my golden dojo loaches, but they are hands down my new favorite fish. With their unique long eel like bodies. Sort of a fat, giant kuhli loach. Super active fish, always eating, swimming, eating, and digging around. Did i mention they eat a lot? Incredibly peaceful fish that gets along with everything including tiny nano fish and fish fry (im more worried about guppy parents eating fry then my massive loaches). Only exception would be shrimp and tiny bladder snails, they do snack on those. Big personalities, with Zero fear of anything, sorta like an oscar with regards to human interaction. They are like a water puppy always eager to greet you. Mine have not only been trained to eat food from my hand but they allow me and my daughter to hold them and pet them, making water changes more fun. For the rest of my life i foresee golden dojo loaches in my future. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Will Billy said:

I know people probably tire of hearing about my golden dojo loaches, but they are hands down my new favorite fish. With their unique long eel like bodies. Sort of a fat, giant kuhli loach. Super active fish, always eating, swimming, eating, and digging around. Did i mention they eat a lot? Incredibly peaceful fish that gets along with everything including tiny nano fish and fish fry (im more worried about guppy parents eating fry then my massive loaches). Only exception would be shrimp and tiny bladder snails, they do snack on those. Big personalities, with Zero fear of anything, sorta like an oscar with regards to human interaction. They are like a water puppy always eager to greet you. Mine have not only been trained to eat food from my hand but they allow me and my daughter to hold them and pet them, making water changes more fun. For the rest of my life i foresee golden dojo loaches in my future. 

I heard Dojo loaches make odd noises when there is a storm or something. Is this true? Also, can they be kept in a planted community aquarium of about 75-77 degrees fahrenheit? Not that I have space for any, but I'm just curious.

3 minutes ago, CorydorasEthan said:

heard Dojo loaches make odd noises when there is a storm or something. Is this true? Also, can they be kept in a planted community aquarium of about 75-77 degrees fahrenheit?

Yes, they are sometimes called weather loaches, because they can predict storms. Im not sure the science behind it, or how true it is, but supposedly drops in barometric pressure put pressure on their swim bladder causing them to swim erratically up and down. Sorta how we yawn to pop our ears when flying on a plane. They rarely croak, but they do make a sort of croaking sound that is pretty neat if you catch them doing it. My wife was not a fan of the croak, it freaked her out a bit lol. They prefer water temperatures below 70F, which makes them great for cold, and cool water tanks. They can survive in higher temperature water. Mine are currently in a tropical tank. To offset this though i dont keep my tropical fish at 78F i split the difference and keep my tank at 73-74F, and use plants and 2 air stone sponge filters to increase oxygen in the warmer water. As for plants, i recommend floaters or rhizome water column feeders you can glue to decorations. Root feeder plants get dug up all the time. They never stop digging and turning over substrate. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1