Hello everyone,

I thought I'd share an incredible species of snail I personally own that is local to the country I currently live in (Israel).

IMG_20210131_124841-01.jpeg.a89de3cd6c96f90af4a44064a240e099.jpeg

Meet Theodoxus jordani, this tiny snail is part of the Neritidae family. It behaves exactly like it's larger cousins, is voracious algae eater, looks amazing, and lays tiny little eggs everywhere.

There are two main differences between it and a "regular" Nerite:

Firstly, it's tiny! This snail reaches a maximum size of 1 cm but most commonly they reach the size of 0.5 cm.

Secondly, they breed in freshwater. They lay tiny singular eggs in the aquarium that hatch after about 30 days depending on the temperature. This is what makes them incredible in my eyes. I have breeding groups of them in 4 out of my 6 aquariums.

IMG_20210202_144730.jpg.bac6797dc52e1d0102295fc04264a903.jpg

Breeding behavior

IMG_20210202_120225.jpg.146ff67d51404717ead502b7fbb91735.jpg

Size comparison

IMG_20210208_234016.jpg.3a1ffc35985d256d0cdd898138558c79.jpg

Horrible macro shot of an egg.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, Kirsten said:

Wow! Yeah, I want that, too. Are they available for export?

I doubt it. I will ask a few local friends that might know more than me. As far as I am aware, it's not entirely legal to collect them from the wild, but it is legal to keep and breed them. I technically own them legally as I received them from a friend and he from a breeder and so on. At some stage someone collected them from the wild and I wouldn't know if that was done legally. There are a ton of rules on snail import here (pretty much all snails are illegal to bring into the country) but I am not clear on rules of export. I assume any farm interested in exporting them (or a private person like me) would obviously need the permits but also might have to prove that these snails were originally collected in the wild, or get a permit to collect them himself and then breed them. All this isn't exactly cheap or easy, but I will definitely ask my friend if he knows more (he has connections with wildlife preservation organizations).

• Thanks 1

How do I get these in my life?!  I would love a micro-nerite like this, especially since it can actually breed.  I personally am on the train that snails are very good for an aquarium and can be used to tell you a ton of things (when you're over feeding for example).

If anyone finds a way to get these into the US, sign me up for like...50.

17 minutes ago, Bentley Pascoe said:

How do I get these in my life?!  I would love a micro-nerite like this, especially since it can actually breed.  I personally am on the train that snails are very good for an aquarium and can be used to tell you a ton of things (when you're over feeding for example).

If anyone finds a way to get these into the US, sign me up for like...50.

Hi Bentley, really enjoyed your latest SunSun rampage!

I agree, I keep snails in all my tanks, currently trying to get these guys breeding in all my tanks as they are phenomenal! They help keep algae at a minimum, and I can tell if I'm over feeding by how many eggs they lay. They're also a great indicator of water quality as they become less active if something goes awry.

I've done some home work since I last posted here. They are not exactly legal to export or raise on a farm level. There are two ways you could possibly get them out of the country:

1. Science. If a University requested a group for study they might be granted some. You'd obviously need connections and a University interested in studying them.

2. NOT ENTIRELY A LEGAL OPTION... Come visit Israel and just... take some home with you...

My friend is doing some homework on their exact status as a species and I will continue to search for ways too export them, if I ever discover a way I'll definitely let you guys know here.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

@Bentley Pascoe

Update: Someone linked this post in another post which reminded me. Theodoxus (the genus that contains this nerite) is becoming more widespread in Europe. I haven't seen T. jordani for sale yet but similar and slightly larger Theodoxus are now available. I don't think any Theodoxus will be leaving Israel legally anytime soon, but I believe that their close cousins may be importable into the States and may act the same. Here's a link to Chris Lukhaup's post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaKvkniIenn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Like 1

On 5/7/2022 at 11:25 AM, Shadow_Arbor said:

@Bentley Pascoe

Update: Someone linked this post in another post which reminded me. Theodoxus (the genus that contains this nerite) is becoming more widespread in Europe. I haven't seen T. jordani for sale yet but similar and slightly larger Theodoxus are now available. I don't think any Theodoxus will be leaving Israel legally anytime soon, but I believe that their close cousins may be importable into the States and may act the same. Here's a link to Chris Lukhaup's post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaKvkniIenn/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Where's my Jonah Hill excitedly screaming gif when I need it!  Appreciate the update!

• Love 1

On 5/7/2022 at 2:42 PM, Bentley Pascoe said:

Where's my Jonah Hill excitedly screaming gif when I need it!  Appreciate the update!

You and me both. This would be ideal to get rid of new tank Diatoms in planted aquaria. I can't wait to find some of these to get them going and have them on hand.