Maggie's 10 gallon betta project

Maggie

No improvement today, so I put Cos in the minibow with clean bottled spring water, and took down his tank. He's laying on the silk plant near the surface, still taking in more air than normal. I added 1.25 TBSP salt to the tank which currently just has 3 gallons water in it, and turned up the heat to 81-82. 

20211006_093424.jpg.0cf99a5eec1cbd809f31ed04d7901f4c.jpg

I think I found rhe culprit. When I pulled out this fake decoration I realized something was rotten inside as it stunk to high heaven when I drained the water from this tiny hole. The bottom is plugged with silicone where I attached it to the rock. I pulled off some of the smaller rocks (also siliconed) and am going to take everything off and find out what's in there and then ditch the whole thing. It's my fault for covering up the bottom. 

20211006_093835.jpg.4f7435b0b1cd5169700599ede9600470.jpg

20211006_093844.jpg.a739f33d1a30834c7063cfb1bab65011.jpg

I kept this in the plant container with the sponge filter during the move but I guess the water inside was bad and maybe there's a dead ramshorn in there that got stuck.

I'm going to disinfect everything but need advice on disinfecting (or not) the plants. I have three gorgeous healthy anubias plants plus a few crypts in a bucket right now, along with the other piece of fake decoration that one anubias is attached to (not for long). How long can they stay in a bucket and should I add an airstone? I presume they'll be fine with temps in the 68-70 range.

20211006_095852.jpg.4b848b48fba0b45bb2abbe9edf5d91c2.jpg

Should I stick with salt for now or re-dose the erythromycin and general cure as well? I'm sick over this. 

I am not setting up his 10-gallon again unless he shows improvement, as I'm not sure what I'll do with it if he dies. He looks so ragged.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Maggie,

I'm so sorry that Cosmo isn't doing well. You have been so careful & determined to do what's best for him. Don't beat yourself up about the decoration. These things happen to everybody,  and we learn from them. 

I'm hoping a smaller space, less stress, the salt & meds will have Cosmo feeling better soon. Please keep us updated. I know I've been absent for a while, but I do get email notifications on this thread & I'll be popping back in to see how things are going. 

Hugs to you & Cosmo,

Alesha

• Like 3

Well, he died. I'm crushed. The last couple of hours were very painful to watch and probably for him too. I wrapped him in a paper towel and plastic bag and put him in the freezer for now. Cleaned and disinfected the minibow,  etc., to avoid having to do it in the morning, there will be enough to do and I won't want to do any of it. Right now I just want to give up, but I know that won't last - really love having fish.

• Sad 4

@Maggie I am so sorry, and it's okay to not deal with the tank immediately. 

Remember that Dean got frustrated, and left a tank sitting for quite some time before breaking it down, because he got frustrated over a loss.

Take the time you need, and know that you have a lot of people here who know how devastating it is when our finned friends cross the rainbow bridge. 

• Like 2