What Makes You Happy?

Frank

Right now my joy is when I see a few guppy fry grow up and I think they look even better than their parents.

Also, I very recently noticed some of my bucephalandra had grown so much I could cut a few good pieces off and replant them on a separate rock. They are really slow growers in my tank. First time ever I was able to do that and I've had some of them for about a year.

• Like 2

Flat out honest, i have an incredibly dangerous job. I give thanks that i come home everyday in one piece and spend time with my family. But when i have my moments from being super dad, and i have my quiet repose in my mancave with my fish tank. Only 1 thing is better than watching my fish pets swim around like floating angels in a 3D aquatic world, with their tiny but beautiful splendor. That 1 thing is watching my daughters face light up as we learn and bond over this amazing hobby together. The look of wonder in her eyes as i answer her 10 million questions about our fish pets. Yep, thats what makes me happy. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Frank, I hear ya on the elusive otocats! I'm happy any time I can watch my lovely rasboras go about their day, and if an otocat makes an appearance, it makes me smile to see the razzies' reactions. Also, watching my teeny baby danios grow. I have brand new baby yellow shrimp in there somewhere, and hoping to see a bunch in the coming weeks. 

• Like 2

When I look over at my 40 and see this looking back at me.

IMG_20200927_200016.jpg.28dba462b4eb17f4dd0f6003fd79ddb7.jpg

Ok but seriously, so much of this hobby brings me joy. Seeing new little sprouts on my bolbitis, seeing new babies, seeing perfect snail shells, seeing my fish greet me when its feeding time. Even just watching everyone swim around doing their thing. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

What makes me happy:

• Seeing another sunrise makes me happy!
  • Everything except water changes and algae.
  • The planted tank makes me happiest because there is a lot going on, and things are always changing. 
  • The TFBs because they are the largest, and partly because they react favorably to my presence in the room.

• Like 2

Seeing my baby fish grow and develop.

When Mom Fish greets me at the glass every time I look in the tank.

When my loaches zoom into hiding when I come by, then turn around and realize, “Oh, it’s you!” and come zooming back to wiggle with me.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Tanked said:

What makes me happy:

• Seeing another sunrise makes me happy!
  • Everything except water changes and algae.
  • The planted tank makes me happiest because there is a lot going on, and things are always changing. 
  • The TFBs because they are the largest, and partly because they react favorably to my presence in the room.

What's a TFB?

Edited by Frank
  • Like 1

• Baby fish, inverts, and plants.
  • That fish babies are sometimes hardier than their parents. 
  • That salt finally got rid of stubborn medicine-resistance ich in my blue ram tank. Phew!
  • That it's already Ferbruary so spring is just four weeks away.
  • Like 1

I dont know if this brings me joy or frustration...

But when I stick my hand in the tank for matnience and the danios come chasing the hand and nibbling on it. 

Also my angelfish, when they chase me around the tank. I will poke my head on the right side pannel, the come runing over. I poke my head in the left side pannel, they come runing over.

Also my plants pearling.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

You know i thought of another one. Feeding time is well, feeding time. A frenzy of hungry little pets all coming together to chow down. But as i sit here watching my gilled little buddies swim around from across the room a thought occurred to me. Aside from tank maintenance and feeding times. There is a quiet beauty in watching my fined friends play  out life's dance, undisturbed of my presence from across the room. A glimpse of that behavior that only happens in my absence. As i approach the tank their behavior changes. But quietly spying on them from across the room in a more natural state, some filtering this way and that, while others dart around playing and jocking for hierarchy. That natural and raw display of life is awe inspiring. I do love our interactions together as pet to pet owner. But those quiet in between times i always find as magical as the very first time i owned pet fish. A magic i will never tire of watching. 

• Like 3