Hello to everyone! Last week i got some rhinogobius zhoui. I got a pair at my local fish store here in Germany. I feed them frozen foods bbs as well as baby endlerguppys from my massive colony! Here is a little clip with me feeding them from my instagram (@johns_aquarium)!

• Like 3

They are little predators! Today i fed them some live baby guppys! They can eat 1/3 of their body size! They hunt at night as well as in day light. They can tell the difference betwin me and other people! If their pray is bigger then them, they can cut it in half eat one half and remember where the other is to eat it later.They are realy smart fish!!

Edited by HillstreamBoy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I got some new fish!! They are Rhinogobius wuyanlingensis!! I have them for about 2 months and this week they started digging so that means they are preparing to spawn. Hope they spawn and i can share them with you, wish me luck! I keep them with some danio erythromycron and golden white clouds. They are very fun ,they pose to each other all the time ,always curius to see what others are doing. They like frozen brine shrimp and all types of worms, they don't realy eat bbs because it is to small for them. Here are some picture for you to enjoy, have a nice day!!! (more in my insta it is the same as my name here!!!)   

20211014_211503.jpg

20211014_211449.jpg

20211014_211418.jpg

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/20/2021 at 8:27 AM, HillstreamBoy said:

We finaly have some succes with breeding the male is now on eggs!!!!

Congratulations!  I recently got some Rhinogobius filamentosus recently from a breeder in my local club.  I, too, am hoping to breed them. 

You might already know all of this, but just in case.  The member I got them from said they eggs should be removed from the male after a while because as soon as they hatch they become "food", especially if they have grown accustomed to eating fish.  He also mentioned that you should never let the eggs touch the air, i.e. they need to be transferred underwater.  Here is a page that might be useful.

You seem like you know what you are doing, and I don't mean to suggest otherwise.  Just hoping something there might be useful for you.  I'd love to see you succeed (and me succeed to while we are on the topic 😆).  Good luck and I look forward to your updates here!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

No problem bro, we are all here to learn and experiment!!! I have a mentor here in Germany her name is Jutta Bauer she hepls me with the details of breeding these fish. I have linked her Page under the video in youtube if you want to check out her website. She is a wonderfull person trying to tackle as many species as she can. Apparently my fishes eggs hatch at around the 8 day mark so she said i schould remove them to a clean, well filterned aquarium at the 6 day mark. This will be for me in 4 Days, so maybe new post coming in 6 days with the babes😁. If he doesn't eat the eggs. I have now noticed that more males are digging so more eggs to come !!! They dance amazing for the females at around mid day for me. The females have a more dominant behaviour and are pretty agressiv to the males. The babys eat baby brine after the absorb their sack. Anyway i wish you good succes, post some pics for me or leave your Insta for me to see your fish !!!! Have a nice day 😘

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2021 at 12:29 PM, HillstreamBoy said:

I have linked her Page under the video in youtube if you want to check out her website. She is a wonderfull person trying to tackle as many species as she can

Thanks for doing that!   I will absolutely check it out.  I can use as much information as possible for these critters, I am sure.

On 11/21/2021 at 12:29 PM, HillstreamBoy said:

post some pics for me or leave your Insta for me to see your fish !!!!

Will do - sort of.  This is as close as I get to social media.  But, I'll be sure to put something on the forum and tag you.  😁

On 11/21/2021 at 10:08 PM, Colu said:

I have read that some Rhinogobius fry require brackish water or pure salt water as part of their life cycle before returning to fresh water

I might be corrected here, but my understanding if you are correct for some species, which have larval young and are swept out to some level of saltiness.  The species I have, hatches out as larger fry and the remain in the same streams as their parents - or at least this is how our local breeder described it to me, who I got the young from. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

There are some species were the fry are swept out to the sea but to my nhowledge they are also not very common!!! I you have problems with soft wateryou can add some reefsalt to your tank to add more minerals, rhinogobius don't care ti much aboutalittle bit of salt. I add the brine schrimp water and i do water changes every other week! Sothey are pretty risistand, only the eggs/fry can be picky to nitrates and phospates. 

On 11/22/2021 at 5:08 AM, Colu said:

I have read that some Rhinogobius fry require brackish water or pure salt water as part of their life cycle before returning to fresh water   very interesting breeding project

I found a second male with eggs!!!😁

IMG_20211122_203852_713.jpg

And he spawned like always at an angle where i cant take a clear picture!!!😒

• Like 3
  • Love 1

The problem is the timing. You need to let the father take care of the eggs, because otherwise they will fungul up with arteficial flow. You also you have to pool them just before they hatch otherwise they will get eaten by the others. Last time i failed on both aspects were i was too late and just found one half eaten fry 86th day) and the second time i pulled them too early and they fungused (4th day). This time i will try to remove them a the 5th day and be mor carefull, because i think last time i also exposed them to the air while removing them. Wish me luck!!!😁

Also i found one of them trapping a female today so maybe third time is the charm??

Edited by HillstreamBoy