Deans Fishroom, what's happening

So you need to start a thread somewhere so mine will start with yesterdays happenings in the fishroom. Not that little water spills happen all the time in a fishroom. But generally floods don't happen much as you hopefully gain experience. I even know the various little tasks I can get done while draining the brine shrimp hatcher, so as to not create a smelly mess on the floor. So may as well start a fishroom thread with water on the floor. 

Yesterday I was slow filling a 5 gallon bucket with a 1/2" line from my water change system. This generally takes about 8 minutes so I go about lots of other stuff in the process. But. . .  yesterday my phone rang right after I started the water. You already know the scenario, I had to leave the room to get the person some information, it all took longer than expected, get off the call, and BAM!, it hits me, I'm still filling that bucket. Run down the hall to find the fishroom floor flooded. Didn't think to snap a picture, next time I will, my whole thought process was to keep the water from hitting the carpet (it was literally inches away). Attached is my text conversation I had with Randy whom of course said "post it to the forum", well here you go.

Screenshot.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Hey there Dean, thanks for the chuckle!

As for the "floor water alarms", they're here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M30SNSQ
(non-affiliate link)

You just hang it low to the ground and let the wire dangle till it's touching the floor. Water completes the circuit and it sounds an alarm.

I can speak from personal experience that these things are LOUDER THAN SMOKE DETECTORS! Prevented a 1-gallon spill from becoming something larger in my home office. 🙂

So yes, they work.

Bill

Edited by Bill Smith
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So over the last few days I found it necessary to set up a couple overflow tanks to raise up some ram fry. A little messy but will have to work for a while, only 10 feet from the laundry sink and 3 feet from the ironing board. (this is my wifes sewing table 😬 🤐, don't tell) Transferred a total of 296 midnight rams and 327 gold rams for growing out.

tanks.jpg

midnight rams.jpg

gold rams.jpg

• Like 10

I really need to drive up to Edmonds and "transfer" some of those Rams and Koi Angels for an "emergency" tank I've been working on. 

The emergency was I really want those fish but didn't have a tank setup even remotely close to what they'd need. Just need to get the plants in and the weather to cooperate. 

15966765940111343806771614717859.jpg

• Like 2

On 7/31/2020 at 9:24 PM, Bill Smith said:

Hey there Dean, thanks for the chuckle!

As for the "floor water alarms", they're here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M30SNSQ
(non-affiliate link)

You just hang it low to the ground and let the wire dangle till it's touching the floor. Water completes the circuit and it sounds an alarm.

I can speak from personal experience that these things are LOUDER THAN SMOKE DETECTORS! Prevented a 1-gallon spill from becoming something larger in my home office. 🙂

So yes, they work.

Bill

Lol that floor alarm is awesome!

It would be great to have one that alerts your phone if you're not home!

I've used some of those slate like tiles in my paludarium for the above ground platform but hadn't thought of using them as a tank floor! That's  a nice clean look without being barebottom but seems like it'd  be just as easy to clean. 

On 8/12/2020 at 5:44 AM, Dean’s Fishroom said:

I’ve been playing a little musical fish tanks lately, here is a 40 breeder that I’ve finished up. Background is by Universal Rocks and I cut some slate type tiles for the tank bottom.

I like the look.

How old is that hatch of Discus? Those are fry from your first collection trip I think?

Today worked some more on musical fishtanks. This is a 30 high with glued in background and single piece slate tile bottom.

I drilled this tank twice, once for my auto water change overflow and a hole just off the bottom for direct hookup to a canister filter. I’m able to have a few different looks/functions. One is clean and flat strainer, the other is the standard strainer used with a bulkhead it does let me slip on one of the Aquarium Co-op pre-filter sponges.

304B0970-EFD8-4B3B-9021-1E7C88C361E3.jpeg

9EF72B64-F758-4EF6-A4E2-587BDA68A0E3.jpeg

CD093A98-87A5-4178-B933-0FDFDC192852.jpeg

5B5C804F-D66A-43ED-8F57-FA79EE4133D1.jpeg

A723C690-5173-41B3-9C1F-F008FEF11774.jpeg

1A767DB4-6274-4E24-8C42-E9491CD48D50.jpeg

• Like 5

I like both options for the intake strainer but I lean towards the low profile since it would be easier to hide with hard-scape or plants. That said, for the tanks I am planning to drill I am leaning towards the strainer with the Coop pre-filter sponge.

On 8/5/2020 at 6:21 PM, Mr. Ed's Aquatics said:

I really need to drive up to Edmonds and "transfer" some of those Rams and Koi Angels for an "emergency" tank I've been working on. 

The emergency was I really want those fish but didn't have a tank setup even remotely close to what they'd need. Just need to get the plants in and the weather to cooperate. 

15966765940111343806771614717859.jpg

On 8/12/2020 at 2:44 AM, Dean’s Fishroom said:

I’ve been playing a little musical fish tanks lately, here is a 40 breeder that I’ve finished up. Background is by Universal Rocks and I cut some slate type tiles for the tank bottom.

I like the look.

03F7FA7F-6F2B-47F1-9EA0-84EEBC6EAF72.jpeg

This is Beautiful!

22 hours ago, pedrofisk said:

I like both options for the intake strainer but I lean towards the low profile since it would be easier to hide with hard-scape or plants. That said, for the tanks I am planning to drill I am leaning towards the strainer with the Coop pre-filter sponge.

So when doing a video use the low profile strainer and otherwise use the strainer with the pre-filter on it. The strainer with the pre-filter will also mean less maintenance on the canister filter.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...