Substrate recommendation

Chandra

I use Caribsea quite a bit too, but for mostly African cichlid tanks. They have a few blends and live sands that are great for them. 

Planted tanks, so far I've mainly just used regular gravel and sand. Had quite good luck with most things. I have also tried fluval stratum capped with regular gravel and sand for a little harder plants and that works great. Noticeably better than same plants in other tanks under the same lights, thinking about converting the other ones.

I was watching Cory's video from this morning where he talked about the 800g. He showed the hardscape the plants they put in. He talked about everything but the substrate. I'd really like to know what he used in that tank. I like the look of it.

15 minutes ago, Robin said:

I was watching Cory's video from this morning where he talked about the 800g. He showed the hardscape the plants they put in. He talked about everything but the substrate. I'd really like to know what he used in that tank. I like the look of it.

@Corywhat is the substrate in the 800? Mostly crushed coral

1 hour ago, Bob said:

It's a mix of Lapis luster sand made by cemex and crushed coral. 

Bob do you know if he buys it local or if it's something he buys in bulk and has sent to him? I can't make heads or tails out of cemex's web site

16 hours ago, Robin said:

Bob do you know if he buys it local or if it's something he buys in bulk and has sent to him? I can't make heads or tails out of cemex's web site

Some Home Depots sell it but its regional. We buy it local at a sand blasting company. It's by far my favorite substrate. Super clean right out of the bag, never have to rinse it. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bob said:

Some Home Depots sell it but its regional. We buy it local at a sand blasting company. It's by far my favorite substrate. Super clean right out of the bag, never have to rinse it. 

Thank you. I'll look around and see what I can find.

21 hours ago, Kat_Rigel said:

I have had good luck with fluorite, although I know it is unpopular with many due to all the "dust" when you first put it in. It worked for me the first time so I never saw reason to switch over. 🤷‍♀️

+1 same here. Once I got over the dust, worked well enough not to mess with it

• Like 1

Is there anything that doesn't work? I use dead leaves and sand from the creek in my Apistogramma tanks. The fish like the leaves and the blackworms like the creek sand and will set up colonies. The Apistos never miss a meal when there are blackworm colonies.