PLECO caves

Rusty Sprinkler

On 1/17/2023 at 12:35 PM, Rusty Sprinkler said:

Anyone have some ideas for DIY pleco breeding caves ... pics ???

Don't have a picture but I think @Chick-In-Of-TheSea has the picture and video.  I either get a pleco cave or I use a pottery plant and then cut it to fit the substrate like this:

How to use Terra Cotta Pots in Your Aquarium - FishLab.com

I prefer the straight edge ones like this, they have them in a few sizes.  Leave the base and you have a cave, cut it out and you have a tunnel for rams or cichlids

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pennington-10-in-Terra-Cotta-Clay-Flair-Pot-Cabo-100523388/314324784

• Like 1

On 1/17/2023 at 8:41 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Don't have a picture but I think @Chick-In-Of-TheSea has the picture and video. 

I’ve done this and it is as easy as it looks! But I think plecos need their cave to be closed (one entry) and more like a tube. @TeeJay bought a pleco cave somewhere and I saw a photo of his pleco In it, so it was “approved”

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 1/17/2023 at 10:23 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’ve done this and it is as easy as it looks! But I think plecos need their cave to be closed (one entry) and more like a tube. @TeeJay bought a pleco cave somewhere and I saw a photo of his pleco In it, so it was “approved”

Yes I have one pleco cave from the co op and one I got from Harry's shrimp store on Etsy 

• Like 1

I found this little terra cotta pot on Amazon a few years ago.  It’s bubba’s favorite spawning cave.  The hole is about 1 inch, and he has to squeeze into it.  But I never want for a fresh batch of plecos!

!F17F2EC9-FD3E-489A-8041-09FAF80AC66C.jpeg.ff89de21c0237821e7d36eb14c3661f8.jpeg

6C078A22-DA0B-4CDD-94C9-A427FB205DEA.jpeg.1376ab1f57464db6cfe4d0114817571e.jpeg

the adult in picture 2 is bubba, about 2 years ago.  He’s bigger now….

• Love 2

The terracotta watering spikes work well.  My plecos use them and spawn in them.

If there is any bamboo growing near you, just cut some of that down. Each segment of bamboo is naturally closed off and forms the cave back, you just find some that is the appropriate diameter, harvest and cut it to size, then let it dry out.

I have a TON of bamboo growing invasively in the lot next to my house. Each shoot is almost as tall as my house and some are as fat around as baseball bats. A heck of a lot of free pleco caves can be made out of that!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 4 weeks later...

I started to make some out of clay, I rolled it out in sheets, wrapped around PVC pipe in wax paper with a tad of cooking spray. I was then able to press them down to a “D” cave. Downside, used the wrong clay.. tried to seal it with fusion spray sealant.. broke the 5 I made. Trying again soon, with the right clay! Overall the method worked great, just need the right products. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 2/21/2023 at 1:08 AM, Dtolb15 said:

I started to make some out of clay, I rolled it out in sheets, wrapped around PVC pipe in wax paper with a tad of cooking spray. I was then able to press them down to a “D” cave. Downside, used the wrong clay.. tried to seal it with fusion spray sealant.. broke the 5 I made. Trying again soon, with the right clay! Overall the method worked great, just need the right products. 

I was going to try this but don't have a way to fire it 😞 Did you take it someplace that has a kiln?

In the DIY cave; just take some slate or driftwood with a good shape and slant them on each other. I had one set of fish simply dig a hole under a large rock (I keep my substrate between 2 and 3 inches deep). I'm not into pots and pans any longer and prefer to just use rock and wood.

On 1/21/2023 at 12:00 PM, tolstoy21 said:

I have a TON of bamboo growing invasively in the lot next to my house. Each shoot is almost as tall as my house and some are as fat around as baseball bats. A heck of a lot of free pleco caves can be made out of that!

Sounds like a business idea.  🙂

On 2/21/2023 at 2:50 AM, Jabberjaw said:

I was going to try this but don't have a way to fire it 😞 Did you take it someplace that has a kiln?

No, I tried to get by with air dry clay and then spraying the sealant.. it was a mistake! Hahah!!! I do know a place I could take it but I hear it is expensive. 

On 2/21/2023 at 7:22 PM, Dtolb15 said:

No, I tried to get by with air dry clay and then spraying the sealant.. it was a mistake! Hahah!!! I do know a place I could take it but I hear it is expensive. 

dang, so the air dry clay won't work? 😞 good to know. Wonder if the oven bake stuff works. Anyone know?

• Like 1

@Saltinthedesert @Dtolb15

I've been checking out a local ceramic studio on FB.  I want to make my own shrimp caves and grow moss on them.  Hopefully I can visit their shop in the next few weeks, and get prices on kiln rental.

@Jabberjaw

I've been reading about the clay hobby.  There are medium fire clays like terracotta, but it still requires a heat that you can't achieve with a home oven.  You need a kiln to make clay structures that wont disintegrate in an aquarium.  I know, I was sad to learn this too.

• Sad 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:06 AM, PerceptivePesce said:

@Saltinthedesert @Dtolb15

I've been checking out a local ceramic studio on FB.  I want to make my own shrimp caves and grow moss on them.  Hopefully I can visit their shop in the next few weeks, and get prices on kiln rental.

There's a kiln about a half hour from me but the rental prices are above what I deem worth it. My boyfriend has a 3-d printer, so he just printed me some shrimp caves. I need to sand the edges, they're a little sharp and then I can put them in the aquariums that don't have rock piles for them to hide in. makes me sad though that I can't make my own clay caves. I think it'd be fun.

• Love 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:38 AM, Jabberjaw said:

There's a kiln about a half hour from me but the rental prices are above what I deem worth it. My boyfriend has a 3-d printer, so he just printed me some shrimp caves. I need to sand the edges, they're a little sharp and then I can put them in the aquariums that don't have rock piles for them to hide in. makes me sad though that I can't make my own clay caves. I think it'd be fun.

Dang, I need a BF with a 3D printer, I only have a husband without a 3D printer. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/17/2023 at 5:25 PM, Guppysnail said:

PVC pipe works also if you close the back 

917520EC-E8E0-4748-AC9D-D9A4006E9D27.png

I have the best luck with these but I have but have been making my own from stone title. Like the expensive ones you see. They work a little better if you are breeding larger plecos. You can make them to size and it’s really simple. 

this is not mine. It’s a photo from eBay. I’m not home.1A48FC21-8452-42AC-94C9-AF7FC9632D4D.jpeg.61248fc4b028dad9ba1b7636d3d5dbbb.jpegmine are similar to this but not all are black as I get the broken stone titles and some are red, tan or grey. I try to make them so the female can get out but small enough the male can really hold in well. I just score the titles and place a wood dowel under it and push down hard and the break ptrettybtrue. Sho cares if they aren’t perfect. I use a small bead of black silicone on the sides but on the closed end I only silicone up two seams. I feel it lets a little flow in to help the male . 

Edited by rockfisher
  • Like 1