HOB Filter Stopped Working

SarayParay

Hello, so we had a power outage today. Not sure for how long as I was outside gardening. When I came back I noticed that my HOB in my 20 gallon was running but with no water. I quickly filled it up with water and it began working. That was 6-7 hours ago. 20 minutes ago I did a 25% water change to my tank because it's the 5th day using Paracleanse. Well I go and connect everything back up and my HOB Filter is not working. Was it the power outage and it running without water? I'm pretty bummed out if so. I can't afford another HOB filter at the moment. =\

It's a Aquaclear one.

Thanks.

035C7E46-9AEB-4E6E-A4C7-38F26A30D5C5.jpeg

Edited by LunarFlower29

16 minutes ago, Cory said:

Likely it's just something in the impeller, have you removed the intake and touched the impeller ?

9 minutes ago, Lizzie Block said:

I have the same exact experience with my aquaclears and fiddling with the impeller always seems to get it running again.. the impeller is under a gray plastic piece which the tube feeds into. 

under this piece 

images.jpeg.ea5a40c9a2020603d894a253432ed649.jpeg

OH MY GOSH! It worked!!!!!

It was so dirty too. LOL

Thank you so much!!! I was hesitant to ask, but I am glad I did.

Thank you so much!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Cory said:

Likely it's just something in the impeller, have you removed the intake and touched the impeller ?

Most of the time, when I do water changes, if I forget to clean the impeller, the motor won't run in my Aquaclear.  It's very simple,  Make sure you do this over a sink.  Remove the motor by turning it a quarter of a turn.  You will see the impeller.  Simply pull it out (it's magnetized).  Rinse it under water and get the gunk off of it and slide the impeller back onto the pin..  At this point, I plug the motor in for a second just so that I can see that the impeller will spin.  Put the motor back on, put the filter back on your tank, prime the filter and plug it in.  You are good to go (hopefully).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, akconklin said:

I no longer run my AquaClear hob, but I experienced the same issues. For your future reference, every time I turned the filter off, the impeller had to be cleaned out or would not run. So... you'll know for next time. 😁👍

I have 4 Aquaclears and this only happens on my Aquaclear 70

Just now, RyanR
6 minutes ago, akconklin said:

I no longer run my AquaClear hob, but I experienced the same issues. For your future reference, every time I turned the filter off, the impeller had to be cleaned out or would not run. So... you'll know for next time. 😁👍

I have 4 Aquaclears and this only happens on my Aquaclear 70

It's interesting, isn't it? I wonder if it has anything to do with water qualities. Our water is super hard here, before being treated. There was always a LOT of black gunk on the impeller, so it was understandable that it needed to be cleaned.

I personally think it's a quality control issue.  The motors for the 20-70 models are the same.  The difference for each unit is in the impeller.  The 70 that I have the impeller issue with also happens to be the loudest.  Not only does it have the typical rattling top, but the motor is also loud.  My other Aquaclears are next to silent.  I personally think that there is something out of spec on my 70.

I had the same problem with AquaClear hob.  To be perfectly honest, I won't buy them anymore due to it.  While the housing is great, there is a real problem with that portion of the setup.  I became much happier once I switched to using other brands of HOB.

• Like 1

I had something similar happen with an AquaClear filter also. It got to the point where it wouldn't run at all, even if I tried to "jump start" the impellar by moving the blades manually with a plastic pick. When I touched the motor it was getting super hot, so I knew that the motor was at least trying.

Before purchasing a new filter, I replaced the impellar and impellar shaft and now it works like new again. Much cheaper than purchasing a whole new filter.

• Like 1

This exact thing happened to me yesterday haha. Had a short power outage, and I forgot that aquaclears are notorious for not rerstarting after an outage. The thing ran for half a day without water, and the motor was blazing hot. RIP AquaClear.