What do you do for a living?

sweetpoison

Independent contractor (private sector), although my main job duty is to write in one form or another.

It can be a difficult question to answer especially with non-disclosure agreements.

For all intensive purposes "Self-employed writer and consultant."

• Like 5

On 4/5/2022 at 7:22 AM, Katherine said:

I'm not earning a living from it, but I'm currently homeschooling my children. Previously I worked in a hardware store for many years.

I'm the IT admin at a small chain of local hardware stores, with huge emphasis on "other duties as necessary." I love it there but I also look forward to the possibility of leaving for my kid(s). I'm not sure if I'm cut out to homeschool but I love the idea; I didn't learn well in the classroom and always got in trouble for reading ahead. (My 2YO son wanted to take a board book to bed last night, couldn't argue with that! It was pretty funny to hear him turning the pages in the dark.)

On 4/5/2022 at 2:09 PM, JettsPapa said:

Yup.  I don't think it's included in either of the videos I posted, but we hit one about 15 years ago where the motor came up into the cab and out through the windshield.

Whatever they pay those crash test dummies, it's not enough! 😬

Edited by drewzero1
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

On 4/7/2022 at 7:46 AM, drewzero1 said:

I'm not sure if I'm cut out to homeschool but I love the idea; I didn't learn well in the classroom and always got in trouble for reading ahead. (My 2YO son wanted to take a board book to bed last night, couldn't argue with that! It was pretty funny to hear him turning the pages in the dark.)

My best advice if you think this might be a possibility for your family is to start looking into it now. Look up the laws where you live and the different homeschooling methods/philosophies. Don't feel like you need to follow any one of them 100% though. You can mix and match things that you think will work for you. If the 2yo is your oldest you have a lot of time before you'd have to make any decisions and you can always change how you do things if it isn't working how you want. 

I think everyone feels like they won't be good at it when they're first considering it. (And, to be honest, for at least the first several years doing it.) But I was helped greatly by starting to look into it when my oldest was 3 rather than 'Oh man, I think we need to homeschool starting tomorrow for xyz reason. Where do I even start!?' like I see a lot of people go through.

ETA: It doesn't have to be a permanent choice either. You can try it for a while and then decide to put your kids into public/private school later on.

Edited by Katherine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2022 at 7:46 AM, drewzero1 said:

The dummies are too expensive to use in those tests.  We use student workers instead (that's a joke).

They are towed with cables and pullies, and kept going straight with another cable, and released to be free-wheeling just before impact, though we've run a few tests in the past with very heavy trucks that are driven by remote control from another vehicle driving alongside the crash vehicle.

• Haha 2

On 4/5/2022 at 2:46 PM, Nyssa said:

I'm a graphic designer currently working in prepress at a flexographic printing company. I miss being more creative and actually designing and creating things, but I wanted to go down the line of the creative process. Through my different jobs I started as a graphic designer(making the art), then a production designer(creating/refining the art), and now prepress(getting the art press-ready).

At least I'll be well-rounded on my resume for whenever I get the creative itch again! ☺️

Good prepress people are worth their weight in GOLD! I went in reverse, working in printing (offset), then designing, then art directing and eventually working on an MFA while teaching design and advertising. Those students that touch printing in any way today thank me for what was considered a bit unorthodox prepress education within a design program then. I'd seen all too often the results of design set up badly and knew if they understood both they would be a true asset in a crowded market.

I've always loved the production side of things, probably that engineer parent genetics coming through. I never did get to see flexo in action, always wanted to!

On 4/7/2022 at 9:07 AM, JettsPapa said:

The dummies are too expensive to use in those tests.  We use student workers instead (that's a joke).

They are towed with cables and pullies, and kept going straight with another cable, and released to be free-wheeling just before impact, though we've run a few tests in the past with very heavy trucks that are driven by remote control from another vehicle driving alongside the crash vehicle.

That's so cool! The remote-controlled vehicles were always my favorite part of watching Mythbusters.

On 4/5/2022 at 4:06 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

I was seduced by music and musicians which led me to design electronics for high fidelity reproduction which found favor in the music industry so vicariously, I was 'in the music business' except that I have no talent whatsoever. 

But I knew a lot of people with LOTS of talent, so I like to think that made up for my insufficiencies!

Eventually we formed a small company around the designs for high end audio amplification and loudspeakers which I design circuitry for to this day.  

My late MIL loved music - snag, played piano, had a gorgeous Steinway. But my late FIL thought it was all just "noise". But he supported her love and made it interesting for himself by setting up custom sound systems into the house they built together. My husband was fortunate enough to receive this a few years ago. He LOVES music but doesn't play (I do) and we enjoy what his father put together. There are a couple of exceptional library speakers in our den that we learned were designed but one of his Dad's classmates at MIT and are quite rare. I treasure their sound!

I've also kept my mother's stereo system from the early 60s that she swore had a better sound than any expensive equipment she ever tried to replace it with - tubes and all 🙂 For me your passion in this area is easy to understand and skills in that area are absolutely a talent every bit as much as the creation of music itself!

• Love 1

On 4/7/2022 at 9:20 AM, Katherine said:

My best advice if you think this might be a possibility for your family is to start looking into it now. Look up the laws where you live and the different homeschooling methods/philosophies. Don't feel like you need to follow any one of them 100% though. You can mix and match things that you think will work for you. If the 2yo is your oldest you have a lot of time before you'd have to make any decisions and you can always change how you do things if it isn't working how you want. 

I think everyone feels like they won't be good at it when they're first considering it. (And, to be honest, for at least the first several years doing it.) But I was helped greatly by starting to look into it when my oldest was 3 rather than 'Oh man, I think we need to homeschool starting tomorrow for xyz reason. Where do I even start!?' like I see a lot of people go through.

ETA: It doesn't have to be a permanent choice either. You can try it for a while and then decide to put your kids into public/private school later on.

The first homeschooled students I met teaching at a University in the early 00s didn't do well and I wasn't a fan. Until I moved to where I live now, which has a thriving network of parents that work together, teaching subjects of strength to small groups. My husband once helped a group build a working trebuchet in his furniture plant, which they loved! They are all grown now, smart, well-rounded and good critical thinkers. And as my husband liked to say, "you only need to be a week ahead of the kids", especially in subjects you haven't touched in a long time. 

Based on some of the "dumbed down" homework assignments my stepkids were getting in HS (and even some college courses), I would 100% be homeschooling today. And I say this as a former educator.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 9:38 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

Good prepress people are worth their weight in GOLD! I went in reverse, working in printing (offset), then designing, then art directing and eventually working on an MFA while teaching design and advertising. Those students that touch printing in any way today thank me for what was considered a bit unorthodox prepress education within a design program then. I'd seen all too often the results of design set up badly and knew if they understood both they would be a true asset in a crowded market.

I've always loved the production side of things, probably that engineer parent genetics coming through. I never did get to see flexo in action, always wanted to!

ill second that, good prepress folks can save lots of heartaches on the press. sadly in most shops lots of mistakes make it to the press.

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 11:04 AM, lefty o said:

ill second that, good prepress folks can save lots of heartaches on the press. sadly in most shops lots of mistakes make it to the press.

It didn't make me popular with other designers, but I was borderline OCD about my files. But clients liked it when my quotes were always really good from printers because they knew they wouldn't have to spend a lot of time doctoring on my work.

On 4/7/2022 at 11:20 AM, saphbettas said:

I'm an artist! Here on deck if anyone wants a digital illustration of their fish! 💙 I'm still in art school at the moment, and when I graduate I plan to write and illustrate comic books.

Welcome to the forum. Tons of folks on here have great fish pics uploaded for practice. As soon as I read your post I pictured an entire cartoon of mom n dad BN pleco and panda Cory antics somewhat superhero themed. 🤣

• Like 4

On 4/7/2022 at 8:46 AM, drewzero1 said:

I'm the IT admin at a small chain of local hardware stores, with huge emphasis on "other duties as necessary." I love it there but I also look forward to the possibility of leaving for my kid(s). I'm not sure if I'm cut out to homeschool but I love the idea; I didn't learn well in the classroom and always got in trouble for reading ahead. (My 2YO son wanted to take a board book to bed last night, couldn't argue with that! It was pretty funny to hear him turning the pages in the dark.)

You are cut out to home school, no one cares about your children more than you. Children are naturally curious and the Prussian style school system is designed to stomp out that curiosity. 
  There is an incredible wealth of online tools out there to assist in homeschooling, personally I’d start my research at Tom Woods show.com and search for homeschooling episodes. 

• Like 1

I worked in nonprofits and then for the federal government as a survey statistician for awhile. I moved to live closer to my family and became a technical writer after that. Mental health has prevented me from taking on full-time work again ever since my kids were born, so I end up taking on a lot of intense hobbies to occupy me; I'm privileged that I'm able to do so. Writing is still one of my top hobbies, followed by fishkeeping and now indoor gardening.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 3

On 4/7/2022 at 7:48 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

My late MIL loved music - snag, played piano, had a gorgeous Steinway. But my late FIL thought it was all just "noise". But he supported her love and made it interesting for himself by setting up custom sound systems into the house they built together. My husband was fortunate enough to receive this a few years ago. He LOVES music but doesn't play (I do) and we enjoy what his father put together. There are a couple of exceptional library speakers in our den that we learned were designed but one of his Dad's classmates at MIT and are quite rare. I treasure their sound!

What a lovely story! And you have a good ear. Some legendary classic loudspeakers came out of MIT including the Advents, Kloss, KLH, even Bose. 

On 4/7/2022 at 7:48 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

I've also kept my mother's stereo system from the early 60s that she swore had a better sound than any expensive equipment she ever tried to replace it with - tubes and all 🙂 For me your passion in this area is easy to understand and skills in that area are absolutely a talent every bit as much as the creation of music itself!

That's really very kind of you to say.  I suppose the grass is always greener, but great musicians seem to be magicians to me. It's just something I know I can never do but hearing real talent, what exits their fingers, it's magic to me.

To further illustrate your point, I performed a recording session once in Los Angeles, it was 20+ years ago so I forget the name exactly. He was a cellist who played on Led Zeppelin's song, Kashmir.  Robert Kessig, Kerrig, I'm sorry I've forgotten. 

In any event we set him up to perform the Bach cello suite #1 (of course!). I used two vacuum tube microphones from the 1950s and all tube electronics which had no generations, it went directly to the recorder.

He sat between two large loudspeakers and played the 1st movement and we recorded it in one take as we didn't want to perform any editing or processing.

Much of these old technologies enjoy superiority because of their simplicity. The less music is processed, the less it is altered (I'm generalizing a bit).

But when original timing is preserved in recordings, it creates a replica of the original space such that the cello played back in the recording appears where he sat between the speakers and is of similar size, angle, almost as if he's still playing (known as "stereo imaging")

Then he surprised me, he sat next to his stereo image and played a duet with himself! It was sublime.  

Naturally I recorded the 'duet' too! But I had a hard drive failure and lost the recording, or I'd post it somewhere. It was just a beautiful moment with ancient, ugly, knobs missing, paint worn, scratched, rusty, wonderful sounding old gear. 

• Love 3

On 4/8/2022 at 11:19 AM, dasaltemelosguy said:

What a lovely story! And you have a good ear. Some legendary classic loudspeakers came out of MIT including the Advents, Kloss, KLH, even Bose. 

That's really very kind of you to say.  I suppose the grass is always greener, but great musicians seem to be magicians to me. It's just something I know I can never do but hearing real talent, what exits their fingers, it's magic to me.

To further illustrate your point, I performed a recording session once in Los Angeles, it was 20+ years ago so I forget the name exactly. He was a cellist who played on Led Zeppelin's song, Kashmir.  Robert Kessig, Kerrig, I'm sorry I've forgotten. 

In any event we set him up to perform the Bach cello suite #1 (of course!). I used two vacuum tube microphones from the 1950s and all tube electronics which had no generations, it went directly to the recorder.

He sat between two large loudspeakers and played the 1st movement and we recorded it in one take as we didn't want to perform any editing or processing.

Much of these old technologies enjoy superiority because of their simplicity. The less music is processed, the less it is altered (I'm generalizing a bit).

But when original timing is preserved in recordings, it creates a replica of the original space such that the cello played back in the recording appears where he sat between the speakers and is of similar size, angle, almost as if he's still playing (known as "stereo imaging")

Then he surprised me, he sat next to his stereo image and played a duet with himself! It was sublime.  

Naturally I recorded the 'duet' too! But I had a hard drive failure and lost the recording, or I'd post it somewhere. It was just a beautiful moment with ancient, ugly, knobs missing, paint worn, scratched, rusty, wonderful sounding old gear. 

The speakers in question are AR inc if that means anything to you?

This is AMAZING! I can only imagine the stories you have! We gobble up bios on aspects of music like the unique sound at Muscle Shoals, the magic of the Wrecking Crew, the tech behind the making of Dark Side. And it's my mother who has the gifted ear - she can always pick up things I don't, even though she doesn't always have the nomenclature to express them. Her mother was a concert pianist and I have a couple of her performances on reel2reel audio that I really want to convert so I can share it with her grandchildren.

Edited by Jawjagrrl
  • Love 1

On 4/8/2022 at 8:44 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

The speakers in question are AR inc if that means anything to you?

This is AMAZING! I can only imagine the stories you have! We gobble up bios on aspects of music like the unique sound at Muscle Shoals, the magic of the Wrecking Crew, the tech behind the making of Dark Side. And it's my mother who has the gifted ear - she can always pick up things I don't, even though she doesn't always have the nomenclature to express them. Her mother was a concert pianist and I have a couple of her performances on reel2reel audio that I really want to convert so I can share it with her grandchildren.

If high end audio had a membership card, mine would be revoked for forgetting AR speakers! You're absolutely right, Acoustic Research stands amongst the top of the classic high-end loudspeakers.

And I hear you on those legendary studios. And few to none can rival Muscle Shoals! 

There's a funny story about the embryonic's of the band Nirvana. They went from studio to studio and couldn't seem to get the tone they wanted for their Nevermind album except at this one studio in Los Angeles known as Sound City. It's bizarre how well recorded they are. It is kind of paradoxical when you hear a loud, raunchy Grunge album that is as sweet and liquid in tone as an RCA symphonic recording!

What most of the artists that loved the sound there never realized was that Sound City Studios used all vacuum tube electronics and all analog recording...as late as the early 2000s! But Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Bowie and Nirvana swore by the fidelity there.

But Muscle Shoals? Talk about music history, wow. Even Abbey Road stands in that shadow. 

• Love 1

I have been attending births since 1986, when I attended the birth of my best friend's GF after her family disowned her.

I was a professional dancer from the early 80's until the turn of the century.

I worked in the ER at a teaching hospital from late 80's until 1992 when I left the country.

I ran a free-range, organic poultry farm from 2003 until 2009, and worked with Ron & CarolAnn McGrady from 2001 until 2009 at Cedarwoods Canine School teaching classes and running the Tune-up classes for them.

I homeschooled, was a member of various homeschool and headstart groups, as well as helped build youth programs with YDI and 2 separate Quaker meetings over the decades.

I volunteer with 2 different Indigenous women led startups, to support and care for the next 7 generations.

I maintain Trauma Support & Prevention Services as a freely accessible support service to interrupt intergenerational trauma in communities and work spaces.

And apparently, this spring I have returned to attending births in a new capacity, post-covid.

I have also worked in the theater, done lighting design, gone on tour, worked with troubled youth and been an advocate for prison reform. Covid saw a return to supporting homeschool families, supporting families who had never considered homeschooling and were completely discarded by the remote educational model covid imposed on them (nearly half our families living on the rez don't have electricity, and 90% don't have potable water...)... so jack of many trades?

I have coached soccer, helped my ex run a masonry business, built homes, and restored wild places.

I was forced into early retirement due to immuno issues in 2004, and I am horrible at following doctor's orders to "take it easy"... so I do what I can, when I can, and listen to my body more than the docs.😁

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I don't know much about them, but I have a Nimbus Natural Sound sampler CD. They only record in a single take with a single binaural microphone. They record outside the studio in church halls and such. The sound team surveys the hall to find the sweet spot to place the microphone.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 12:40 PM, Widgets said:

I don't know much about them, but I have a Nimbus Natural Sound sampler CD. They only record in a single take with a single binaural microphone. They record outside the studio in church halls and such. The sound team surveys the hall to find the sweet spot to place the microphone.

This is something I have been looking to learn more about....

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 1:35 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

If high end audio had a membership card, mine would be revoked for forgetting AR speakers! You're absolutely right, Acoustic Research stands amongst the top of the classic high-end loudspeakers.

And I hear you on those legendary studios. And few to none can rival Muscle Shoals! 

There's a funny story about the embryonic's of the band Nirvana. They went from studio to studio and couldn't seem to get the tone they wanted for their Nevermind album except at this one studio in Los Angeles known as Sound City. It's bizarre how well recorded they are. It is kind of paradoxical when you hear a loud, raunchy Grunge album that is as sweet and liquid in tone as an RCA symphonic recording!

What most of the artists that loved the sound there never realized was that Sound City Studios used all vacuum tube electronics and all analog recording...as late as the early 2000s! But Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty, Bowie and Nirvana swore by the fidelity there.

But Muscle Shoals? Talk about music history, wow. Even Abbey Road stands in that shadow. 

I knew nothing about these speakers but got curious when my husband told me they came from a school chum of his Dad's. I just knew they sounded great (except one that is going in and out, afraid to open it up and diagnose).

That's something about the Nirvana recording. I am a big fan of standards despite being genX, and love old vinyl. Even something a bit more recent (old enough to call 80s recent, haha) like Linda Ronstadt's standards albums with the Nelson Riddle orchestra have a special sound to me though I can't explain what it is - but I suspect you can! I remember when Huey Lewis did an album with all analog equipment and I loved it. Perfect during the swing dancing revival I enjoyed so much.

To see what the inside of muscle shoals actually looks like is a marvel of why the sound magic is what it is? The smallest things make a difference, like the symphony hall that was updating their floor (I think it was Boston?) and hand-made square-head nails to match the originals rather than risk a sound change because of a modern nails. 

Now I am going to have to learn more about Sound City Studios this weekend - I am really intrigued. 

On 4/8/2022 at 2:38 PM, Torrey said:

I have been attending births since 1986, when I attended the birth of my best friend's GF after her family disowned her.

I was a professional dancer from the early 80's until the turn of the century.

I worked in the ER at a teaching hospital from late 80's until 1992 when I left the country.

I ran a free-range, organic poultry farm from 2003 until 2009, and worked with Ron & CarolAnn McGrady from 2001 until 2009 at Cedarwoods Canine School teaching classes and running the Tune-up classes for them.

I homeschooled, was a member of various homeschool and headstart groups, as well as helped build youth programs with YDI and 2 separate Quaker meetings over the decades.

I volunteer with 2 different Indigenous women led startups, to support and care for the next 7 generations.

I maintain Trauma Support & Prevention Services as a freely accessible support service to interrupt intergenerational trauma in communities and work spaces.

And apparently, this spring I have returned to attending births in a new capacity, post-covid.

I have also worked in the theater, done lighting design, gone on tour, worked with troubled youth and been an advocate for prison reform. Covid saw a return to supporting homeschool families, supporting families who had never considered homeschooling and were completely discarded by the remote educational model covid imposed on them (nearly half our families living on the rez don't have electricity, and 90% don't have potable water...)... so jack of many trades?

I have coached soccer, helped my ex run a masonry business, built homes, and restored wild places.

I was forced into early retirement due to immuno issues in 2004, and I am horrible at following doctor's orders to "take it easy"... so I do what I can, when I can, and listen to my body more than the docs.😁

All I can say to this is... amazing. A testament to a passionate, giving life. 🙂

• Love 1