What do you do for a living?

sweetpoison

On 4/5/2022 at 6:52 AM, modified lung said:

Water quality analyst at the biggest sturgeon farm in the US. I do all the testing, collect and stare at all sorts of data, lots of literature reviews, proposals to solve WQ problems, sometimes engineering problems, fish jujitsu, and general whatever. They're going to let me put together a lab for disease ID soon which is pretty cool.

You get to work with name every day!!!😲

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 4/13/2022 at 10:32 AM, Tanked said:

Jack of all trades, master of none!   In this age of technology, it is amazing how far a little common sense and the ability to read can take you.

I need in on this gig, lol. I’m not at work right now because I had a dental appointment and when I saw how many people were logged onto the forum I thought this thread may be accurately renamed: What are you “supposed to be doing right now?” 🤣

• Haha 4

On 4/13/2022 at 10:38 AM, PineSong said:

I need in on this gig, lol. I’m not at work right now because I had a dental appointment and when I saw how many people were logged onto the forum I thought this thread may be accurately renamed: What are you “supposed to be doing right now?” 🤣

I'm supposed to be doing anything other than this!  The folks I work with turn into zombies and wander off as soon as I mention 🥱fish or plants

• Haha 1

On 4/13/2022 at 7:32 AM, Tanked said:

Jack of all trades, master of none!   In this age of technology, it is amazing how far a little common sense and the ability to read can take you.

Most people don't realize just how much googling is a skill. And I don't mean just using google but how to use it effectively.

On 4/13/2022 at 7:38 AM, PineSong said:

Shhhhhh

On 4/13/2022 at 11:11 AM, modified lung said:

Most people don't realize just how much googling is a skill. And I don't mean just using google but how to use it effectively.

I wish I was better at it.  I have a friend who cannot (will not) comprehend that adding: blue 1957 Chevy will not help him find fuzzy dice.

• Haha 1

Wow! So many amazing professions and specialties! I also love learning things about people and find people fascinating.

I am an "Architectural Drafter" which means I draw big, beautiful, custom homes for people. I get to work with my husband who also is a drafter/designer and will eventually take over the business when his partner retires. I love what I do because every house is unique to each client and by then end of a job I could probably close my eyes and walk blindly through their house as I know every nook and cranny, beam and column in that house. 

My husband is in the office, and I get to work at home, which I love, because it means I also get to enjoy my kids and pets and I love my office space. I've been working there since 1998 and my husband and I have been working together since then (married in 1999).

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 4/16/2022 at 9:27 AM, AndreaW said:

Wow! So many amazing professions and specialties! I also love learning things about people and find people fascinating.

I am an "Architectural Drafter" which means I draw big, beautiful, custom homes for people. I get to work with my husband who also is a drafter/designer and will eventually take over the business when his partner retires. I love what I do because every house is unique to each client and by then end of a job I could probably close my eyes and walk blindly through their house as I know every nook and cranny, beam and column in that house. 

My husband is in the office, and I get to work at home, which I love, because it means I also get to enjoy my kids and pets and I love my office space. I've been working there since 1998 and my husband and I have been working together since then (married in 1999).

What an awesome post!  You have a wonderful career!!  Can you show any sketches of your houses?

On 4/16/2022 at 11:03 AM, Widgets said:

I do not see a fishroom in the floorplan.

You are correct. I'm ashamed of my pride. This house is obviously flawed. :classic_laugh:

If this were my house, there would be plenty of spots for tanks, and a dedicated fishroom, right next to the greenhouse.

• Haha 2
  • Love 2

I work in Metro Detroit at an automotive OEM.   I have spent majority of my career in Finance (Plant Controller's office, business cases for new vehicle programs, etc)  but have moved to purchasing in the last few years where I have purchased steel and am now moving to a Program management role.  It's been an interesting ride for the last 22 years. 

• Like 4

I worked in the food service business for over 20 years starting as a dishwasher and prep cook and working my way up to head chef and then back of the house manager, but I got severely burnt out after several years of working 70+ hours a week, and got out of that business. Now, I work for a school system as a grounds supervisor. I oversee all the maintenance of the grounds, mowing grass in the warm months and pushing snow in the cold ones. For some extra money, I substitute as a bus driver and train new bus drivers for the school as well. 

• Like 5

I love this topic. 
I’m a operation manager for two departments at a development company. We focuses on multi family living and commercial building. I manage the paint crews and remodel crews . I love my job. Love helping my crew members finding their passion within my area of operation and helping them get better at there jobs. I have had done lots of things from painting to working in aviation, framing and so on. I have been in the hobby of aquariums for 20+ years. And just starting to breed for profit. 
have a great day! 

• Like 3

Nice to see everyone with a diverse background in here!

Without getting into too many details I work in the Federal Space industry designing and implementing operations centers to control spacecraft as well as other ground based science projects. Have a bit of jack of all trades history, but this career path is the one that stuck.

• Like 5

For a living, I work at an optical observatory; technically I'm Chief Technology Officer and Staff Astrophysicist, but the bulk of my job involves building and fixing telescope systems. (Naturally, this involves troubleshooting of various electronic and optical elements.) As a grad student, I'm working on designing and building a prism system for a different observatory that will help alleviate a specific form of aberration not related to the telescope optics.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

On 4/19/2022 at 3:00 PM, Baphijmm said:

For a living, I work at an optical observatory; technically I'm Chief Technology Officer and Staff Astrophysicist, but the bulk of my job involves building and fixing telescope systems. (Naturally, this involves troubleshooting of various electronic and optical elements.) As a grad student, I'm working on designing and building a prism system for a different observatory that will help alleviate a specific form of aberration not related to the telescope optics.

That is soooo cool. 

• Like 1

@Patrick_G Thank you! I really have fun with what I do! 

The funniest thing about this house is that we designed four houses for four friends all in the same cul-de-sac (Wright, Rindlisbacher, Gibbons & Yost). After we designed Rindlisbacher, Gibbons came in and asked what was in Rindlisbacher's basement. (Theater, Golf Sim, Exercise, Bunk Room Play Room, etc.) His response? "Okay, do all that, but make it bigger!" Rindlisbacher comes back in and we tell him. He laughs and says, "Fine. just make sure I have more TVs than him! (There is a bank of three TVs in the basement so he can watch multiple sports at the same time). Then Yost comes in and says, "What's in Rindlisbacher and Gibbon's basement? Whatever they have, we want and add a pickleball court!" They all designed RV garages because one of them has an RV so they know that eventually they will ALL have an RV! :classic_laugh: Really a great group of friends to work.

Rindlisbacher's walk-in-closet is 284 sq. ft., Gibbons is 306, and Yost's is 372 and almost as big as the Master Suite:

image.png.8608ecb1dd5488c85ce6a9ada67b6ea3.png

• Haha 3