What do you do for a living?

sweetpoison

I’m retired now. I was a business executive.  My niche so to speak towards the later portion of my career was teaching and mentoring servant leadership to others in order to help them achieve their greatest success. The last half of my career was the most rewarding.  To be able to help folks achieve success otherwise beyond their reach to enhance their lives and the livelihood they provided for their families was amazing. I was invited to several folks children’s college graduations which was a pinnacle reward to me as inspiring and helping the parents it helped them inspire and help their children.  To be able to extend a helping hand that reached to a second generation touched my heart ❤️

• Like 8
  • Love 4

I've had a varied career, from being an assistant manager at a 40,000 square foot retail store at 19 years old, to building houses, to beekeeping, but finally wound up where I am now.  I was on the construction crew here for 11 years, and then started doing 3d CAD work creating the models and drawings for the installations I used to help build in 2009.  I enjoy it.  I feel like creating fabrication and construction drawings is a combination of art and precision, so it's the best of both worlds.  I get to be a math nerd, but I also take some pride in making the drawings easy to read.  There's a fine line between cluttered and too much open space on a sheet.

I work at the Texas A&M Transportation Institute.  The division I work at crash tests roadside safety installations, like signs, guardrails, and bridge parapets, and also structures used to protect sensitive locations, like embassies and military installations.  If I make it to June 1 of this year I'll have 24 years here; my previous record was 3 years.

Here's some links to a few videos of some of our tests.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 12

Water quality analyst at the biggest sturgeon farm in the US. I do all the testing, collect and stare at all sorts of data, lots of literature reviews, proposals to solve WQ problems, sometimes engineering problems, fish jujitsu, and general whatever. They're going to let me put together a lab for disease ID soon which is pretty cool.

• Like 10
  • Love 2

I am a healthcare software data analyst working for a large hospital system in my state.  The software is called Epic, and most people hate it, but I actually think its OK.  Primarily, I am creating metric/visual driven data dashboards for doctors and nurses and various departments throughout the hospital to use, as well as creating reports for all sorts of things like department productivity to tracking patient encounter minutes against treatment plans, and monitoring COVID numbers.  My team also pulls data for large research projects, creates smart text items for doctors/nurses to do faster documentation during patient encounters, handles regulatory reporting to the feds, and a whole variety of other things.   It's a really fun job.

Since the pandemic, I am primarily working from home, and I love it!!  I do miss chit-chatting with my team though, but we try to have a couple calls a week where we just chat for half an hour and catch up on each others lives.

As a side gig and to supplement my own knitting addiction, I dye my own yarn, and sell it in a little online shop.  It has actually been a pretty lucrative adventure, and I really love doing it!  

Edited by Sal
  • Like 8

On 4/5/2022 at 8:36 AM, Sal said:

As a side gig and to supplement my own knitting addiction, I dye my own yarn, and sell it in a little online shop.  It has actually been a pretty lucrative adventure, and I really love doing it!  

Ooh, fun! For a while before kids I experimented with food dye coloring of natural yarns. Though only for my own use and I never got really good at it.

• Like 2

On 4/5/2022 at 9:42 AM, Katherine said:

Ooh, fun! For a while before kids I experimented with food dye coloring of natural yarns. Though only for my own use and I never got really good at it.

YES!  Food dyeing is fun too, I also want to try some natural dyeing sometime soon!  It definitely takes a lot of practice and a LOT of "wasted" yarn, and even many years in, I still have color fails.  

• Like 1

I'm a graphic designer currently working in prepress at a flexographic printing company. I miss being more creative and actually designing and creating things, but I wanted to go down the line of the creative process. Through my different jobs I started as a graphic designer(making the art), then a production designer(creating/refining the art), and now prepress(getting the art press-ready).

At least I'll be well-rounded on my resume for whenever I get the creative itch again! ☺️

• Like 8
  • Love 1

On 4/5/2022 at 7:44 AM, Guppysnail said:

Holy cow @JettsPapa  Some of those barriers make the trucks look like they are made of tissue paper!😲

Yup.  I don't think it's included in either of the videos I posted, but we hit one about 15 years ago where the motor came up into the cab and out through the windshield.

• Like 2

I've never done anything for very long.

I was a quantum physicist for Rutgers University, then a chemist for a NJ hospital system, then I taught Philosophy and Comparative Religion at Seton Hall...briefly, then I became an electronics circuit designer of biofeedback and medical equipment for Bausch and Lomb. 

But I was seduced by music and musicians which led me to design electronics for high fidelity reproduction which found favor in the music industry so vicariously, I was 'in the music business' except that I have no talent whatsoever. 

But I knew a lot of people with LOTS of talent, so I like to think that made up for my insufficiencies!

Eventually we formed a small company around the designs for high end audio amplification and loudspeakers which I design circuitry for to this day.  

• Like 6
  • Love 2

On 4/5/2022 at 5:55 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m retired now. I was a business executive.  My niche so to speak towards the later portion of my career was teaching and mentoring servant leadership to others in order to help them achieve their greatest success. The last half of my career was the most rewarding.  To be able to help folks achieve success otherwise beyond their reach to enhance their lives and the livelihood they provided for their families was amazing. I was invited to several folks children’s college graduations which was a pinnacle reward to me as inspiring and helping the parents it helped them inspire and help their children.  To be able to extend a helping hand that reached to a second generation touched my heart ❤️

“Servant leadership”.  I know I liked you.

I’m just a civil servant working for the Air Force as a requirements manager.  Basically, I make this happen:https://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/2943340/barksdale-afb-first-to-implement-upgrade-to-nuclear-enterprise-in-more-than-30/

• Like 4

On 4/5/2022 at 1:06 PM, dasaltemelosguy said:

Eventually we formed a small company around the designs for high end audio amplification and loudspeakers which I design circuitry for to this day.  

What’s the company? I’m Hi-fi geek, and I’m curious. 🙂