Jump to content

Use This Resource to Have Many of Your Aquarium-Related Questions Answered


Zenzo
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Administrators

Hey Everyone!

I just want to remind everyone that the Aquarium Co-Op website has dozens and dozens of blog articles (167 articles, with more added every week), many of which would be able to answer questions that you may have. Often times when someone on the forum creates a new topic with a question, the answer can be readily found through a quick search on our website. You can even type in the question in the search bar, which will often result with a blog article that may address your question. 

Here is the link: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium

Hopefully many of you will find this useful!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
On 2/22/2022 at 7:08 PM, Ken Burke said:

@Zenzo, have you ever tried to breed African cichlids in a summer tub?  I’ve been toying with the idea lately and would like your thoughts if you have. 

I have bred them indoors in tubs. I actually have a couple of videos from a long time ago that show the 55 gallon Home Depot totes that I was using. Never outdoors though. Too cold here for that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2022 at 2:14 PM, Zenzo said:

Hey Everyone!

I just want to remind everyone that the Aquarium Co-Op website has dozens and dozens of blog articles (163 articles, with more added every week), many of which would be able to answer questions that you may have. Often times when someone on the forum creates a new topic with a question, the answer can be readily found through a quick search on our website. You can even type in the question in the search bar, which will often result with a blog article that may address your question. 

Here is the link: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium

Hopefully many of you find this useful!

Yes, the search option has vastly reduced my needs for questions asked... although my poor old phone can't hold 2 search results at the same time... so I tell others to use the search option 😁

On 2/23/2022 at 4:41 PM, Torrey said:

Yes, the search option has vastly reduced my needs for questions asked... although my poor old phone can't hold 2 search results at the same time... so I tell others to use the search option 😁

<because I have to close the Co-op Forum to get to the search questions, and I admit when it comes to social media I have performance avoidance issues 😬

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/22/2022 at 1:14 PM, Zenzo said:

Hey Everyone!

I just want to remind everyone that the Aquarium Co-Op website has dozens and dozens of blog articles (163 articles, with more added every week), many of which would be able to answer questions that you may have. Often times when someone on the forum creates a new topic with a question, the answer can be readily found through a quick search on our website. You can even type in the question in the search bar, which will often result with a blog article that may address your question. 

Here is the link: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium

Hopefully many of you find this useful!

Loves your article on shell dwellers want to turn my 20 long into one just debating what kind and leaning towards two nano sponge filters in it Instead Of my tidal on it 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Do you think these could be better organized in the future? It's something I've thought about before. 

For example, I want to find all the fish guides you've posted. I search "Care" and find a mix of plant/fish articles with different style titles (Care Guide, How To Care For...), with 180 something results and 19 pages to manually scroll through. If there was simply a list of fish care guides, I would have gone through and read them all by now. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Administrators
On 3/14/2022 at 5:01 PM, Anon said:

Do you think these could be better organized in the future? It's something I've thought about before. 

For example, I want to find all the fish guides you've posted. I search "Care" and find a mix of plant/fish articles with different style titles (Care Guide, How To Care For...), with 180 something results and 19 pages to manually scroll through. If there was simply a list of fish care guides, I would have gone through and read them all by now. 

@Irene Do you have a suggestion on how one might best navigate our blog articles?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2022 at 1:55 PM, Irene said:

@Anon@Zenzo Currently the best way is to click on the categories on the right hand menu of the main blog page:

image.png.9bf05f5a46b39fa019b221f6795d2ca5.png

There is a category called Care Guides that should be what you're looking for:

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/tagged/care-guides

Question for @Zenzo or @Irene or whomever may be able to answer.

On the website itself there are categories, 10, and I totally understand that going through 150+ articles and adding some more tags might not be efficient work for someone.

As a user, it's *really difficult* to try to navigate.  Let me explain.

Untitled.jpg.43f23a6b05f154dc71f85015747aca97.jpg

At the bottom of the page you will see X/Y for the results in your search. If it's clicking on the category or just navigating onto the page itself then you end up with that sort of an output.  If you search for a result you end up with:
2.jpg.8dd0e64867522f42c605114074c54600.jpg

I think this output is easier to show 25+ or 50+ articles so I can see the title, a bit about them, but I don't have to click so many times to get through to the information.  The current view when clicking on the blog link is fine, it shows the same information and is more aesthetically pleasing.  I guess the way to explain my question, Can we improve the ability to find something that's in the blog.... If I don't know what I don't know?

I don't mean just beginners, but even someone like myself who might know what I'm doing, but hasn't explored so many aspects of the hobby.  I might not know what to ask or use the certain word when trying to ask my question and then the user becomes frustrated.

If I was able to view more articles, increasing the limit per page, a condensed view like shown on the search page, or when clicking on the category and having that ability to just keep scrolling down and see everything there is to see, it might give some light to articles that seem to escape the search tool.

I'm not really sure of the solution, maybe a blog index?

I think the majority of people get the blogs via the email and if it's something interesting, it's going to end up being one we hang on to and check out when time permits. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2022 at 4:58 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Question for @Zenzo or @Irene or whomever may be able to answer.

On the website itself there are categories, 10, and I totally understand that going through 150+ articles and adding some more tags might not be efficient work for someone.

As a user, it's *really difficult* to try to navigate.  Let me explain.

Untitled.jpg.43f23a6b05f154dc71f85015747aca97.jpg

At the bottom of the page you will see X/Y for the results in your search. If it's clicking on the category or just navigating onto the page itself then you end up with that sort of an output.  If you search for a result you end up with:
2.jpg.8dd0e64867522f42c605114074c54600.jpg

I think this output is easier to show 25+ or 50+ articles so I can see the title, a bit about them, but I don't have to click so many times to get through to the information.  The current view when clicking on the blog link is fine, it shows the same information and is more aesthetically pleasing.  I guess the way to explain my question, Can we improve the ability to find something that's in the blog.... If I don't know what I don't know?

I don't mean just beginners, but even someone like myself who might know what I'm doing, but hasn't explored so many aspects of the hobby.  I might not know what to ask or use the certain word when trying to ask my question and then the user becomes frustrated.

If I was able to view more articles, increasing the limit per page, a condensed view like shown on the search page, or when clicking on the category and having that ability to just keep scrolling down and see everything there is to see, it might give some light to articles that seem to escape the search tool.

I'm not really sure of the solution, maybe a blog index?

I think the majority of people get the blogs via the email and if it's something interesting, it's going to end up being one we hang on to and check out when time permits. 

Are you on a computer or on a phone?

Apple or Android?

Because I have discovered some things were much easier to find on my phone, and now that I am on a computer, it's a whole new experience and learning curve for finding information.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, Torrey said:

Are you on a computer or on a phone?

Currently on the website itself, laptop.

My other option is mobile (android).

What you're saying though, totally makes sense for what I'm seeing and the web design side of things.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2022 at 2:14 PM, Zenzo said:

Hey Everyone!

I just want to remind everyone that the Aquarium Co-Op website has dozens and dozens of blog articles (167 articles, with more added every week), many of which would be able to answer questions that you may have. Often times when someone on the forum creates a new topic with a question, the answer can be readily found through a quick search on our website. You can even type in the question in the search bar, which will often result with a blog article that may address your question. 

Here is the link: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium

Hopefully many of you will find this useful!

🤩 Thanks Zenzo, I am trying to remember to search the forum before asking a question that might have already been discussed, but I really appreciate the reminder about searching the blog! 

Nanci

”Seek Beauty Every Day”

On 3/14/2022 at 6:01 PM, Anon said:

Do you think these could be better organized in the future? It's something I've thought about before. 

For example, I want to find all the fish guides you've posted. I search "Care" and find a mix of plant/fish articles with different style titles (Care Guide, How To Care For...), with 180 something results and 19 pages to manually scroll through. If there was simply a list of fish care guides, I would have gone through and read them all by now. 

@Anon This is a great idea! Not sure if the blog articles already have tags like we can add on our posts on the forum, (out and about so not easy to check right now), but maybe members who read articles can suggest tags that make sense to them and admin fold can review to make sure they would be helpful to other forum members. 

That way both members and administrators would share the work and not put the burden all on them. 
 

And future blog posts can have searchable tags set up as the blog is written and posted. 

Awesome concept! Thanks! 
 

Nanci

”Seek Beauty Every Day”
 


 


 


 

 

 

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I'm a big fan of "tag cloud" organized blogs, but I am sure they can be a lot of work to implement- especially if it would include indexing so many existing articles.  

My other suggestion would be to add a "blog" category to the main search bar.  I did eventually figure out to click "pages" in the search results after using the main search bar, but it took a while. Before that I was trying to get back to the page linked in the top post here for every new search.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

I got some test strips-multi test and Ammonia- and the Ammonia strips only ever read 0 even when I'm cycling a tank, and the nitrite/nitrate tests only show 0 as well. I've had this problem with the API strips too, none of them have ever reported anything for Ammonia nitrite or nitrate despite using them for years. What is going on? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

@Zenzo  The water change guide on ACO has conflicting information from weeks 2 and weeks 4.  Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly but week 2 says maintain a 30% water change weekly and week 4 or says 40% water change weekly.  Is this chart to help get though a tank cycle or for regular maintenance after cycle. Sorry if I'm making this harder than it should be.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/pages/water-changes

The smiley faces section is the area I'm referring to for weeks 2 and 4.

Edited by redfish
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...