To laugh or to cry...

eatyourpeas

ACO is so efficient when it comes to shipping! I usually get my parcel in two days. I live not far from Seattle. This is my last ACO order:

Capture.JPG.ef3f52ce7dfc3606ca69cbe40019447e.JPG

Try finding the longest distance between two points! USPS appears to be quite good at it... 

Good thing I decided to postpone my plant order. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It’s because the Usps use passenger planes to ship a lot of things. I don’t know how the system works after that. Or it got on the wrong plane that happens to. I sell sneakers keep them for awhile and when the price goes up sell them. They Usps does not care if they loss your stuff. Most people don’t insure there stuff so you get the pay out. It’s cheaper to payout that find your stuff. 

Shipping companies use hubs and the system doesn't always make a lot of sense to those outside the industry. From what I've been told, they have computers (and we know how infallible they can be) monitoring the status of their shipping hubs and packages will get routed to whichever hub has the least volume, regardless of how far away it is. So, a package destined for a place a few miles from you, may end up halfway around the world if that hub has the most available volume before finding its way back to you. It makes some sense, but also seems weird. If the facility closest to you is over capacity and your package would end up just sitting there for a day or two before being processed, it makes more sense to send it to a facility where it can be processed immediately and sent on its way.

I have two Anubias Congensis coming from a site in Northern NJ this week and they may end up in Seattle before heading back here if things work out just wrong. You never know. The seller is about an hour and a half drive from me, but the plants could very well travel a thousand miles or more before getting here. Tracking packages can be interesting and more than a bit confusing.

Some may not care, others are totally swamped. My local post office is struggling to find enough good workers. (Small town with a labor shortage—everyone’s hiring.)

I bought a fish off eBay one time from a seller just an hour away from me. The package ended up going in a full circle through three major cities before ending up where it started and finally getting to me. 🤨

I will say though—finding the fastest route that goes between a lot of different points is a notoriously difficult math/programming problem. Almost impossible. (Something I gleaned from my computer scientist + mathematician husband. 😄) So the computers are bound to make suboptimal decisions sometimes.

On 12/6/2021 at 8:03 AM, Hobbit said:

Almost impossible. (Something I gleaned from my computer scientist + mathematician husband. 😄) So the computers are bound to make suboptimal decisions sometimes.

It explains why mine always seems to find the longest most complicated way of doing things. He is brilliant and in the end everything works out great, but it always leaves me befuddled.

I guess ACO should start a fleet of delivery pigeons. They may end up being more reliable... and one more sticker character!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

We also have to remember the last president cut funding to USPS (not an invitation for political discourse) and I don't think their current general is doing them any favors.

They have been hemorrhaging money for awhile now as other mailing services outcompete them. For a while I was mailing car parts around trading and selling to complete my project and I'd shop around the big companies for whoever was cheapest, never used USPS in some 30-40 shipments. 

Remember when UPS figured out they could save millions on gas by only turning right? Yeah that revolutionary idea was figured out by a driver recently.

Also the job shortage is a national phenomena that is primarily affecting the youth and government workers and is a whole other can of worms.

• Like 1

I recently had a package track through New York - LA - Chicago - New Jersey - Chicago - and finally head toward me in Wisconsin. I'm a little afraid to have fish shipped to me! (Though to be fair, this package originated outside the US, so customs was definitely a factor.)

On 12/8/2021 at 7:01 AM, gardenman said:

My two new anubias congensis are now in Lebanon, NJ (116 miles away) and according to the postal service won't be here (Southern NJ) until Monday. They may be a bit off about that date. I kind of expect them to come tomorrow, but we'll see. 

I hope they get to you sooner rather than later.

Getting out of my car late one night I was startled by a small bouncing ball of white light coming at me.  Honestly, my first thought was ET.  It was my letter carrier delivering at 10:00 pm.

I remember as a small child, the mail being delivered twice a day.  Now I am happy if the bills are delivered by the Due Date.