Blood Parrot and Electric Blue Acara Lip Locking

H.K.Luterman

Just what the title says. I'm new to cichlids so I don't really know what I should do, if anything. The blood parrot just laid eggs a few days ago, and allowed the acara to come in and out of the cave she spawned in, which I thought was odd. Then the acara started showing off for her, doing little flicking dances and staying close to her. Now they're lip locking. 

Will it resolve itself, and just keep an eye on them? Should I move him outright? I'm worried about him hurting her.

PXL_20211016_223820086_MP.jpg.c67879e29169913fccf2f6b2d2e204e8.jpg

PXL_20211016_223807330_MP.jpg.dee8bedb2e179f6971b14c7bc78a40d2.jpg

• Like 2

I haven’t keep these types but plenty of other cichlids and IMO this is definitely aggressive behavior. I would keep a close eye on them, if any body or fin damage I would separate. You could mix up the hardscape really change everything up. They will be so distracted figuring out new territories it could help. Also if you feed in same place every time change that as well in a different spot every feeding and do multiple small feedings for a few days while doing this, again trying to distract and get them worried about something else. Increase line of site obstacles can be a big help too.

I love cichlids they are amazing fish but the aggression can be a pain sometimes. Hope this helps good luck.

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 11:04 PM, Fonske said:

Sounds very similar to what I've witnessed. Blood parrot female laid eggs, and started to lock lips with her Green Texas tank mate. It didn't end well for the Green cichlid... the blood parrot killed him a couple of day later. 

Wow! And here I am worrying if my blood parrot will be ok. 

On 10/17/2021 at 12:20 PM, H.K.Luterman said:

here I am worrying if my blood parrot will be ok.

It's hard to say from the photos, but the relative sizes of your fishes seem similar to the ones I saw. I'd be concerned about the acara...

• Thanks 1

On 10/17/2021 at 12:23 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I guess they call them blood parrots for a reason if that's true. 

I read on the internet that blood parrots can't do much damage because their teeth are so small...well, this particular parrot didn't know about that, apparently. Also, the Green Texas was much prettier and 6 times more expensive 😢

@H.K.Lutermani have to agree with @Fonske and also with @Atitagain
Cichlids get things in their little heads and don’t stop. If she’s decided the acara needs to go she’ll do it. You have a chance if you can completely shake up the scape. Add plants and hard scape- if you’ve provided plenty of sight breaks figure out how you can add more. This can distract cichlids and get them to concentrate on something new. I recently had a kribenensis female who was best friends with another krib female suddenly started chasing her out of the blue one morning weeks after they’d been placed in the tank and after being together for a month in qt. There are no other cichlids and no male in the tank but next thing I knew that same night I found her dead before I could even think about getting her out of there. 

• Like 1

On 10/17/2021 at 1:02 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@H.K.Lutermani have to agree with @Fonske and also with @Atitagain
Cichlids get things in their little heads and don’t stop. If she’s decided the acara needs to go she’ll do it. You have a chance if you can completely shake up the scape. Add plants and hard scape- if you’ve provided plenty of sight breaks figure out how you can add more. This can distract cichlids and get them to concentrate on something new. I recently had a kribenensis female who was best friends with another krib female suddenly started chasing her out of the blue one morning weeks after they’d been placed in the tank and after being together for a month in qt. There are no other cichlids and no male in the tank but next thing I knew that same night I found her dead before I could even think about getting her out of there. 

Yeah, alrighty. I'll move him into another tank. Thanks guys!