On 12/28/2021 at 12:30 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@eatyourpeasI’d bomb that tank. If this is in the same tank your CPDs are in there’s columnaris or something nasty in there. I’m so sorry about your lampeyes. Let us know how we can help/support you!

I appreciate the sentiment, @Beardedbillygoat1975, but everyone else looks fine in the tank, and this little one was perfectly fine the day before. I am on the hunt for the bully, and I think I know which one it is. As of one hour ago his injury is not as red and it may even be developing new skin. He is active and eating, so that is encouraging.

I think this tank has had a combination of poor stock and bullying, which makes it harder to pinpoint the cause of losses. I love all the advice I have gotten with regards to the possible solutions, and am applying them as I see the need. So far, I am a convert to UV light treatment. All the neos are thriving and I just added four more babies from a water change in the Vampire tank (they insist on riding the vacuum hose into the dirty water bucket, go figure).

Thank you for being here and offering support, that means the world to me. 😍

I forgot to add, all the hydra has disappeared, and I believe the pond snails feasted on them. 😎

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 3

On 12/31/2021 at 3:44 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Oh dear! Do you see what I see??? It is not a comet streaking through the starry universe, but it feels like it!!! It is a fry! I do not know whether is Lampeye or CPD, but it is definitely not a shrimplet! Woot!

PXL_20211231_232918844_MP.jpg.321e679d9de900d09df4c9a72307e838.jpg

congratulations!

I am now putting this tank in the Columnaris category. Short of bombing the tank with antibiotics, not sure there is a coming back from this one. All tools have been disinfected with H2O2, the UV light is on, and now more fish are showing signs of lesions. 😟

It may end up being a shrimp and snail tank for a while. I am not sure I can stomach another event like this.

• Sad 4

On 1/3/2022 at 4:38 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I hope the Kanaplex does the trick. 

I hope so too. They are quite active and only one showing a small bump on the side. Hopefully he can get over it.

On 1/3/2022 at 4:38 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

That CPD momma really is a tub full of eggs. How goes the CPD breeding? I think they have to be part of my plans for the fishroom. 

She is quite funny. She zips out of sight with a male, behind some plants, then they come out, she finds another male and zips back into the plants again... I don't remember ever moving that fast when I was pregnant! 🤪

I highly recommend them! Once I can get them over this health hump, I hope to see more fry. The last little guy I spotted disappeared, so he may have gotten eaten. @Guppysnail has been quite helpful in learning about these great little fishies. 

• Like 2

I was able to get Nitrofurazone and should arrive tomorrow. I will continue the Kanaplex for the recommended period, assess, give the fish a rest, then do another round of treatment combining the Kanaplex and Nitrofurazone as recommended by @Colu if they are not showing improvement. 🐟

On 1/5/2022 at 1:55 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I was able to get Nitrofurazone and should arrive tomorrow. I will continue the Kanaplex for the recommended period, assess, give the fish a rest, then do another round of treatment combining the Kanaplex and Nitrofurazone as recommended by @Colu if they are not showing improvement. 🐟

it can take two full course of treatment back to back in severe cases of Columnaris following the treatment schedule 

• Like 1

On 1/8/2022 at 7:54 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I think it’s working that looks like healing tissue. Well done and hope you continue to see improvements! 

Thank you! I am not giving up on trying to get this tank back to normal. 😎 

On 1/8/2022 at 5:07 PM, Guppysnail said:

Except the scales they seem to look a bit better than before but maybe it’s just the picture. Fingers still crossed for you. 

I have no idea as to whether there is really an improvement or if I just imagine it because I want them to recover. It means a lot that you both see it as well! 😍

On 1/8/2022 at 4:57 PM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Hoping this is all working out for you!

Me too! What would I do without the wonderful people in this forum! 🥰

Having struggled with my last 2 bettas, and never being able to truly identify what the issue was, I can feel your frustration and disappointment. 

I am rooting for you and for a full recovery of your fish. There is a lot of new research coming out regarding aquarium fish diseases and treatment now that zebra danios are being used for lab animals. It's much easier to follow Colu's simple directions than having to dig through dry journals though. 

I agree with Guppysnail, the fish appear to be looking better.