After losing Morocco (Betta) I went to my closest LFS and got a Lampeye killifish (Poropanchax normani) and two CPDs (Danio margaritatus).

I have never kept this fish, so it will be a learning experience. The CPDs appear to be a pair, they swim together and pretty much say close to each other. One of them has a bent spine but I still wanted to give him a home. They are about 1.3 cm and not quite showing strong colors. The killifish is still very shy, but I am hoping he'll start feeling comfortable soon.

Feeding them Hikari First Bites and Repashy, as well as Betta pellets (not at the same time). So far, they don't seem to go for the Repashy but it sank to the bottom of the tank, to be found by happy snails.

No names yet, as I wait for them to tell how they would like to be addressed.

PXL_20211005_174159513cu.jpg.aa75ecc6bf17526aa78f3e787348109c.jpg

PXL_20211005_174220783.jpg.f3109e8dd33b9c47a5cd5f5685653395.jpg

PXL_20211005_174753739.jpg.5c743359b954e429c7ade40696bbd0a5.jpg

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 6

On 10/5/2021 at 3:44 PM, Colu said:

If I remember rightly lampeye killifish like to be kept in groups of six or that's why is probably hiding 

Yes, you are correct. These guys were loners at the LFS and hopefully I will be able to get mates for them soon. In the meantime, good food and my goofy faces will have to do. 😊

• Like 3

I love my little CPDs. When I got them they were so tiny and picky eaters. They couldn't care less about pellets and prefer flake and frozen daphnia. I started feeding them live baby brine shrimp. It boosted their color and size. I think it also helped their personality to come out. They like to hunt. I am starting white worms next. 

Edited by Opal Rae
  • Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 4:25 PM, Opal Rae said:

I love my little CPDs. When I got them the were so tiny and picky eaters. They couldn't care less about pellets and prefer flake and frozen daphnia. I started feeding them live baby brine shrimp. It boosted their color and size. I think it also helped their personality to come out. They like to hunt. I am starting white worms next. 

They are very cool, and I am hoping I can get new mates soon. I will give BBS a try as well. Need to get a new batch in the hatchery.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was a partial success. I was able to buy 5 CPDs and 5 Lampeye killis to add to the tank. They seem to be doing well, ate, and are not shy at all. I am hoping to get more at some point, since that was all they had at the LFS.

Seriously considering a new tank to give them more swimming space. So seriously considering a new tank that I bought one. It will be home to these fun little fish and a lot of plants. Let the cycle begin!

It is a 12 gallon bookshelf, so 36" wide. Lots of horizontal swimming surface.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

Oh, dear! New tank on the way.

I am truly loving these fishies. As I call the Pygmy corydoras the "Biker Gang", these are the "Begging Bunch". Now they associate me with food every time I come up to the tank. Very playful and mostly peaceful. There is larger CPD that seems to like to chase off the other little CPDs, not harming them, but definitely playing territorial. I need to study up on these guys.

Bought lights, have sand substrate, new canister filter on order as well as heater, and plants are doing their bit in the QT. I will be getting another red lotus, as that plant is absolutely stunning! Thank @Patrick_G for having it in your tank! I am going to try a "no lid" on this tank, but lots of floating plants. I would like to find some gnarly wood  that comes out of the water.

So, nothing will be happening for a while. I have more Lampeyes and CPDs on order, and they will be the only species in that tank. Lots of plants!

And thanks to all members who have provided amazing inspiration when it comes to red plants! 😍

• Like 1

I’m so happy you found more CPD. Mine are 🐷 and remind me ofkids on the playground always chasing and carrying on. My group has a hierarchy with an alpha and betta. The alpha once established turns dark red finnage. The betta gets a deep orange/red the rest lean toward more orange. The females establish their own hierarchy but it’s not as obvious. Very soap opera.  

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 5:05 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Bought lights, have sand substrate, new canister filter on order as well as heater, and plants are doing their bit in the QT. I will be getting another red lotus, as that plant is absolutely stunning! Thank @Patrick_G for having it in your tank! I am going to try a "no lid" on this tank, but lots of floating plants. I would like to find some gnarly wood  that comes out of the water.

I’m excited to see that long bookshelf tank. Those CPDs will think they’re in heaven with all that swimming space! As for gnarly wood I bet some local Madrona would work. 

On 10/22/2021 at 5:55 PM, Patrick_G said:

As for gnarly wood I bet some local Madrona would work. 

Great idea! I will set out to look for some in the next few days. Thank you!

On 10/22/2021 at 5:09 PM, Guppysnail said:

Very soap opera.  

Leave it to me to set up another drama tank! 🤪

• Haha 1

The plants seem to be acclimating well so far, granted it has only been a few days, but the red lotus has a new leaf coming up, and the crypts are showing beautiful copper tones. The QT is now using the new light so I can test it.

PXL_20211023_160929318.jpg.a70dbb858c0cf1c60055a6055b0eb292.jpg

Overfeeding as fertilizer and ammonia source for BB. I plan on moving the blue Poret in the back into the new canister chamber to speed up cycling on the new tank.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The new tank arrived. 12 gal. bookshelf, so not very deep or tall.

Today was moving day, and getting all the plants settled. We have had a few storms here so I got some fun wood, but not all is sinking, so it'll have to float for a bit. The fish also arrived and are in the QT.

Testing a new light scheme with these new lights, where it will be stronger at the edges of the tank, but medium to low in the center. Sand substrate, snails already cruising the new neighborhood.

PXL_20211105_200830548.jpg.71e0bfa9d04b1313084430efd284ac4f.jpg

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 4
  • Love 2

On 11/5/2021 at 2:50 PM, Patrick_G said:

The plants look great. That Lotus is going to be a big statement in this size tank! 

Thanks! I think it is already, such a stunning plant. I am seriously contemplating getting another one. Here is the tank showing use of brute force to keep the wood down. Also, I think I am going to keep it without a lid.

PXL_20211105_223833437.jpg.04d8df41a1d9bd8f5579274d8e35b47d.jpg

Lost one CPD and one Lampeye already 😔. I hope the rest make it. 

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 3

On 11/5/2021 at 4:31 PM, Patrick_G said:

Talk to use about the filtration. It looks like a small canister, a huge matten and a sponge. 

You are correct! A canister filter rated up to 45 gal. and the sponge filter are in the tank. The matten is on the outside at the moment. I chickened out at the last minute because the wood is not in place yet. The idea will be to have an underwater living wall, where I can put a lot of epiphytes until it is completely covered. An ACO power head will be in there, between the matten and the aquarium wall, moving water but not causing too big a current in the tank. We'll see...

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 5:24 PM, eatyourpeas said:

You are correct! A canister filter rated up to 45 gal. and the sponge filter are in the tank. The matten is on the outside at the moment. I chickened out at the last minute because the wood is not in place yet. The idea will be to have an underwater living wall, where I can put a lot of epiphytes until it is completely covered. An ACO power head will be in there, between the matten and the aquarium wall, moving water but not causing too big a current in the tank. We'll see...

Cool! That’ll be fun to watch progress. 

• Like 1