On 11/7/2021 at 12:40 PM, Griznatch said:

Love that tank, looking pretty nice! My CPDs really spend a lot of time exploring, They are pretty interactive fish. Yours are gonna love all that space.

Thank you! I hope they like it. I am planning on moving them into the tank next week. So far another Lampeye is showing signs of failure, so I am still watching them in the QT.

On 11/9/2021 at 1:33 PM, eatyourpeas said:

I caused a disaster thanks to impatience! I tried to take the skewers out thinking the wood might be ready, but noooo, all the bits floated violently completely destroying the scaping 🤨. Sigh... Starting over!

I still have rocks zip tied to 2 of my wood pieces in my 100 gallon because I’m afraid of exactly this.  I’m going to,have to suck it up and try turning them loose at some point.  If they still float, I’m attaching some slate to them.

Your tank is looking good, though!  Once it grows in it will be fantastic!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 11:33 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I caused a disaster thanks to impatience! I tried to take the skewers out thinking the wood might be ready, but noooo, all the bits floated violently completely destroying the scaping 🤨. Sigh... Starting over!

It happened  to me too. I had the wood in my 75  carefully arranged and firmly glued to large rocks. I filled the tank and everything was great for about 3 hours until the wood floated with the rocks attached. Oh and I had already planted the tank too!   😢

Edited by Patrick_G
  • Sad 1

I went to the LFS and picked up another Nymphaea zenkeri, but when I got home the tank was already dark. It will get planted tomorrow.

Also, the fish in the QT are showing clamped fins, so I decided to take all the snails out and medicate. I hope they pull through.

It was a very soggy day, but it felt so nice to see the cloudy mist over the trees when the ferry approached our island! I simply love this weather!

• Like 3

Well, two Lampeyes and three Galaxy rasboras lost so far. Still in QT, with one Galaxy rasbora still small, bendy back, and clamped fins. He is still eating, but may not make it. 😒

I stopped medicating, but added another round of salt just in case. All other fish are looking better and starting to color up. The ramshorn snails are multiplying like crazy, so the puffers are happy and plump (not in the same tank).

Sometime after Thanksgiving I will move them from QT into the big tank and see how that goes. Right now the shrimp have approved every corner, so it is a go as far as they are concerned. 🐟  

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 11/26/2021 at 10:18 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

that shrimp looks like a green rili! 

He is quite cool looking, thank you for identifying him. The tank is full of mutts, so every now and then I'll spot one with interesting markings.

Can’t wait for a couple months from now when it grown ina bit.

This may give you a glimpse of the future! 😉

PXL_20211127_222642919.jpg.1ec24f75921018bfabb8851b7fb1e507.jpg

I think this is more on your LFS for selling these fish in the first place. 

They ordered the fish for me, so I took them home straight from the FedEx shipment as it arrived. They offered to reimburse for the losses, but I don't want them to absorb the loss. They are a very small shop, and always go out of their way to help. It should be on the fish supplier to not charge them for those fish.

The little bendy back CPD did not make it. 😔

We are making progress. I think I'll move the fish by the end of next week. Plants are settling and I can see new growth. The matten wall has a few plant already attaching to it. Small sign of algae on the front glass, which is great. I am going to be moving more shrimp into this tank to give the Vampire crabs a little room in their own tank.

PXL_20211128_190629601.jpg.91d2c9630799bef8919c452659a6d103.jpg

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 3

I know I said I would not keep count. But! Last night before lights out I could not help noticing half of the Lampeyes were missing. They all appear to be there this morning. Turns out the smarty-pants Lampeyes figured out a way to get behind the Matten wall, and they go there just to explore. I decided to open up the space to make it easier and give them more territory to play in.

• Like 3

Lost another three CPDs and two Lampeyes. They got behind the wall and could not come out. When I extracted them, there were bruises on their bodies, probably from struggling to free themselves. So much for that idea, as I did not take into account plant roots creating a maze back there. I have now blocked the wall to avoid this kind of tragic mishap again. 

I fed them BBS and they went bonkers. Happy little fish!

The plants are growing like crazy, with lots of roots on the back of the living wall. All Cryptocorynes are getting new leaves, and healthy looking new roots. The water wisteria is floating, but extending roots to find the substrate. Both red lotus plants have at least two new leaves each. Biofilm is gone.

PXL_20211203_000351409.jpg.1c54d0f288b6012a67e6f95c1e218fe5.jpg

• Sad 1