On 12/2/2021 at 7:10 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Both red lotus plants

I’m sorry to hear about your little ones. I had gotten great pothos planters that hung in my aquariums. I lost a few guppy fry that got stuck in them and had 2 stunted growth ones. Sometimes our best ideas just don’t work. 
as soon as I red this I started looking it up. I bought 3 tiger lotus but one is deep red/maroon and I didn’t know why…now I do. Thanks. 

On 12/2/2021 at 6:14 PM, Guppysnail said:

I’m sorry to hear about your little ones. I had gotten great pothos planters that hung in my aquariums. I lost a few guppy fry that got stuck in them and had 2 stunted growth ones. Sometimes our best ideas just don’t work. 
as soon as I red this I started looking it up. I bought 3 tiger lotus but one is deep red/maroon and I didn’t know why…now I do. Thanks. 

Yes, this loss was completely on me. I appreciate your encouragement. I feel like unless I give things a try I won't learn, and sometimes the price is steeper than was originally thought.

All and all, the tank is looking great, and I think I have at least a pair of CPDs in courtship. If these guys breed, I will be so happy to have babies that are not snails and shrimp. Too soon to do the little dance, but that sight made me so happy!

The two red tiger lotus plants I got have been on a red/blue light regime since I planted them. I have been trying to accelerate growth so they can withstand the snails rearranging things for me. That is why the tank has a reddish tint, but that will go away once I feel they are at a nice stable state. Oddly enough, mine do not have bulbs.

There is a pothos on the back of the tank as well, behind the Matten wall.

• Like 2

One month later the tank is showing great plant growth, so I am stopping the RB light regime and down to 50% for 8 hours a day.

I need to not get impatient with the Matten wall, as I am sure it will take some time to fill in.

The little CDP with the disappearing caudal fin is doing great, and I am suspecting she injured herself somehow. Did a water change on Sunday, she is already looking better. Slowly, but surely!

PXL_20211207_200435611_MP.jpg.a100cc711e3da583bf58f2a6a61cdefc.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

I’m glad your CPD are settling in  it’s a good thing it may have only been an injury vs aggression. CPD are the egg scattering version of guppies. The female will be ready every one to three days. They also like guppies are early starters. If they are doing the dance in/on a plant they are probably doing the deed. The problem come with they actively hunt the eggs, wrigglers and fry and they fit in tiny spaces. My girls get a just slightly rounded to the side tummy (it’s not incredibly noticeable) and the underside of the belly gets a hint of reddish on it just before she is ready to lay. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. 🤞🏻

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 3:14 AM, Guppysnail said:

I’m glad your CPD are settling in  it’s a good thing it may have only been an injury vs aggression. CPD are the egg scattering version of guppies. The female will be ready every one to three days. They also like guppies are early starters. If they are doing the dance in/on a plant they are probably doing the deed. The problem come with they actively hunt the eggs, wrigglers and fry and they fit in tiny spaces. My girls get a just slightly rounded to the side tummy (it’s not incredibly noticeable) and the underside of the belly gets a hint of reddish on it just before she is ready to lay. I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you. 🤞🏻

Thanks! I now have some signs to look for. 😎

The cool little shrimplet has now grown and is displaying quite the camo outfit! My favorite mutt so far!

PXL_20211209_190504154.jpg.1ac82dd21e33431ecd1bf9fc5b973fdc.jpg

PXL_20211209_185721611.jpg.c51c2bfa5bdeaa3e0ed13d78d34b48b4.jpg

PXL_20211209_185734236_MP.jpg.2f0d37fb3b69bc06ff275ef5fe778c03.jpg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

On 12/9/2021 at 1:22 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@eatyourpeaslooks like the gold back line has become more prominent! That’s great you’ve been tracking his coloring up! 

Can't help it, he is so unique looking! I am checking carefully in the :shrimpalooza" tank to see if I can spot others with the same markings. 😎

• Like 1

On 12/9/2021 at 2:14 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Thanks! I now have some signs to look for. 

I fed one of my groups this morning seen this and grabbed a pic for you. If you look there is almost a reddish stripe on the very underside of her belly. It’s hard to get a good angle. She will lay today. Fat little tummy 🥰

316DE284-B427-45B1-9F3C-3CE86A5DA87C.jpeg

• Like 3

On 12/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, Guppysnail said:

1 & 3 look like they might be starting to develop eggs. They kind of square off in the abdomen like miniature guppies 3 looks further developed I think. Yeah they are hard to photo. I just rapidly snap pictures and choose a decent one 🤣

Thanks! It is definitely the zippy-di-doo-dah tank!

Edited by eatyourpeas
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...