Greetings from Hawaii

Helan

On 10/3/2021 at 4:56 AM, Helan said:

Hello I am from Hawaii and I haven’t even got a tank yet but am considering African cichlids maybe?, and what are some reliable websites for information?

Welcome to the forum, if this is your first tank I would not recommend African cichlids, they can be very aggressive and that can be stressful and it creates a lot of extra work especially for a new fish keeper. 
@Coryhas a few videos about African cichlids. But I did alot of my research by watching videos from KG Tropicals on YouTube. They are older videos but the info is very honest. There’s a lot of channels/ web sites most will all have same info just remember it’s all just someone’s opinion. 
Do plenty of research. Then do more. And ask questions on here this is a very helpful community!
good luck

On 10/3/2021 at 6:26 PM, Atitagain said:

Welcome to the forum, if this is your first tank I would not recommend African cichlids, they can be very aggressive and that can be stressful and it creates a lot of extra work especially for a new fish keeper. 
@Coryhas a few videos about African cichlids. But I did alot of my research by watching videos from KG Tropicals on YouTube. They are older videos but the info is very honest. There’s a lot of channels/ web sites most will all have same info just remember it’s all just someone’s opinion. 
Do plenty of research. Then do more. And ask questions on here this is a very helpful community!
good luck

Thanks, would a betta be a better first fish?

On 10/3/2021 at 6:27 AM, Helan said:

Thanks, would a betta be a better first fish?

Yes, or any community fish. African cichlids are amazing and beautiful but a lot of extra work and require bigger tanks. And if your just getting started you’ll have plenty to focus on and can always do AC in the future.

• Like 1

welcome to the forum, and the hobby. cheap fish are the best first fish. cheap common fish are the way to fly when you first dip your toes into the water. this is just advice, not saying you must adhere to it😈. once you get a good handle on the basics, more power to ya if you want fish that require more specific care.

On 10/3/2021 at 1:10 PM, Colu said:

Welcome to the forum my advice would be to check your local water parameters and get fish that will go well in your local water 

This! It'll make your life easier long-term.

But yes, "cheap" and "community" are good words to look for in your research. Bettas aren't a bad idea, especially since you live in a place that's warm, since they need warm water. I hear tale that among the beginner fish, platies are among the most hardy, for what it's worth. They're peaceful, "community," and many of the colors are cheap. Even snazzier colors are cheap compared to most fish. 

Welcome to the forum!

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 2:25 PM, CalmedByFish said:

This! It'll make your life easier long-term.

But yes, "cheap" and "community" are good words to look for in your research. Bettas aren't a bad idea, especially since you live in a place that's warm, since they need warm water. I hear tale that among the beginner fish, platies are among the most hardy, for what it's worth. They're peaceful, "community," and many of the colors are cheap. Even snazzier colors are cheap compared to most fish. 

Welcome to the forum!

@CalmedByFish I heard they breed like crazy , I wouldt want to overwhelm myself with babies 👶 

On 10/4/2021 at 3:26 AM, Helan said:

@CalmedByFish I heard they breed like crazy , I wouldt want to overwhelm myself with babies 👶 

Valid point. Many platies will eat every baby they have though. A lot of other fish will eat their or other species' babies, too. Some people keep a betta, dwarf gourami, or other small fish for that purpose. (It's why I got my angel actually, and he's TOO good at it!)

• Like 1

Hello! My recommendation for a first tank would be a fun community tank with tetras or rasboras and some shrimp.  Honestly, I never was that into shrimp but now that I have them, I realize they are the stars of the tanks.  I'd go for something a little more unusual like neon green tetras. Or if you want something really fun, get a community tank of blue eyed rainbows.  I have a tank of pseudomugil luminatus and I love them so much.  There are many different varieties of the blue eyed, so I'm sure there would be one that appeals to you!

Welcome to the forum. My one piece of advice is... remember that we have a proclivity towards MTS and will happily lead you down the trail. And ask away about anything, swell bunch here, and someone or multiple somebodies have encountered most of the stuff you're likely bump you nose on.  

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome! Thanks for Cichlid info check out @Zenzo‘s YouTube channel Tazawa Tanks. He’s got a entire room full of them plus a few cool oddballs. You might also want to look into dwarf Cichlids from central/South America and Africa. They’re super colorful and can be kept in a planted tank. 
Here’s some pics from the net. There are many more varieties too.

Apistogramma, German Blue Ram and Kribenses in that order. 

A3D1634A-457B-496E-93C6-94DB4FE2D5C3.jpeg

0892B6B8-8662-4460-AA9F-62E2335E1FBA.jpeg

0C126339-9168-486A-8DFD-2BD5021E3500.jpeg

Edited by Patrick_G