Do you think the purchase would be worth it??

Endler enthusiast

So… I’ve found some beautiful endlers. The only sexed fish available are the breeding pack, it includes 1 adult male, 1 Gravid female, and 1 young unrelated female for diversity in genes. It is $75 per fish. I was just WONDERING if you think it is worth it. Thanks for visiting, and maybe commenting have a great day 😀

98162469-5201-4F7F-A176-8C62E0C82270.jpeg

Edited by Mack
I forgot the photo

$75 per fish, not per trio? Wow. I'd like to see those Endlers!

I think that 'worth it' depends on what you plan to do with them. If you just want to enjoy them $225 worth, yes, I think they will be worth it, because pretty much any of my beautiful fish have already given me $225 worth of enjoyment. Your population will grow and you'll have those pretty fish to look at forever. 

If you need to make money from them in order for them to be "worth it", I think that depends on how you plan to do that: Are you going to sell offspring online and ship them? That'll be the fastest access to upscale livebearer customers. Are you going to sell them locally and you live in a large metro area with lots of potential buyers? Are you going to sell them locally and you live in a small town--that'll take longer.

I mean, at one level, if you sell the offspring for $1 each you will still turn a profit because three Endlers can produce 225 Endlers in a year or so. All the hundreds of babies you will get after that will be profit. If you can sell them.

If you absolutely, positively know the fish are healthy, will breed true, and there's a market for the fish, it could be a good investment. However, it's impossible to know any of those things to be true and there are a lot of con artists out there preying on people. Fish enthusiasts are often a target for con artists. There have been stories of painted/dyed fish, injected fish, surgically modified fish, and more since I started keeping fish over fifty years ago. I would need an absurdly high-level of trust with the seller to pay $75 per endler. Ideally, I'd want the seller close enough to me and in enough fear of me, to not try and rip me off. They're charging a premium price and given the rate at which endlers reproduce, I'd be suspicious that something was off. Assuming their fish were healthy, happy, well-cared for, they should be up to their eyeballs in endlers and selling them for much less than $75 a fish. If they can't breed them in a quantity, then something's off.

• Like 5

On 10/1/2021 at 9:00 PM, PineSong said:

$75 per fish, not per trio? Wow. I'd like to see those Endlers!

I think that 'worth it' depends on what you plan to do with them. If you just want to enjoy them $225 worth, yes, I think they will be worth it, because pretty much any of my beautiful fish have already given me $225 worth of enjoyment. Your population will grow and you'll have those pretty fish to look at forever. 

If you need to make money from them in order for them to be "worth it", I think that depends on how you plan to do that: Are you going to sell offspring online and ship them? That'll be the fastest access to upscale livebearer customers. Are you going to sell them locally and you live in a large metro area with lots of potential buyers? Are you going to sell them locally and you live in a small town--that'll take longer.

I mean, at one level, if you sell the offspring for $1 each you will still turn a profit because three Endlers can produce 225 Endlers in a year or so. All the hundreds of babies you will get after that will be profit. If you can sell them.

Oops I forgot to include the photo. They are 1975 OG endlers 

E0E7EDDB-8BFB-4FA5-873A-870A5D2465A8.jpeg

On 10/2/2021 at 11:53 AM, Mack said:

Oops I forgot to include the photo. They are 1975 OG endlers 

E0E7EDDB-8BFB-4FA5-873A-870A5D2465A8.jpeg

If they are the "Original Endler"  dont you think they are a little on the old side to breed?  I mean 1975....that makes them 46 years old.   Im surprised they are still swimming😵

• Haha 3

On 10/2/2021 at 12:24 PM, ARMYVET said:

If they are the "Original Endler"  dont you think they are a little on the old side to breed?  I mean 1975....that makes them 46 years old.   Im surprised they are still swimming😵

Pure original lines with no influx of new dna would be so crazy inbred. Do you know how much a guppy with 2 heads would eat 😳

• Haha 2

On 10/2/2021 at 11:41 AM, Guppysnail said:

Pure original lines with no influx of new dna would be so crazy inbred. Do you know how much a guppy with 2 heads would eat 😳

unless it also has 2 stomachs, it will eat the same amount as a one headed one would.🤪

• Haha 2

On 10/2/2021 at 9:24 AM, ARMYVET said:

I wish they were able to survive 46 years, fish deaths are awful 😞 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:21 AM, Patrick_G said:

Gasp! I don’t think I’d order three Endlers for that price. It’ll be close to $300 once you factor next day shipping.  If I did end up ordering them I’d want a video of the specific fish that are being sent, and I’d do airport pickup. 

That’s true, I’m trying to discover more options, because this is a second choice fish. I like them but I’m not sure if I like them $300 worth 😕

On 10/1/2021 at 8:36 PM, Mack said:

So… I’ve found some beautiful endlers. The only sexed fish available are the breeding pack, it includes 1 adult male, 1 Gravid female, and 1 young unrelated female for diversity in genes. It is $75 per fish. I was just WONDERING if you think it is worth it. Thanks for visiting, and maybe commenting have a great day 😀

98162469-5201-4F7F-A176-8C62E0C82270.jpeg

There's a lot of debate over endlers, especially between the 1937 Bond Endlers, the 1975 Dr Endler collected fish from Laguna de Patos (Cumana), the more recent Armanda Pao collected endlers which make up the AdrianHD N class, P class etc system,  and I can't remember the guy in Europe who names endlers based on the location of collection (ie: Capano El Tigre endler).

You are paying for the paperwork that traces the lineage of your endlers. As long as you have the means to remove any males that are not staying true to type, and you enjoy preserving genetics, then yes, this trio is absolutely worth the price.

If you do not want to keep the strain true to type/ want the liberty of mixing genetics, then no, I would not spend this much money on 3 fish.

Ultimately, you have to decide what your goals are, long term, and if these 3 fish are key to meeting your goals. 

My phone did an auto correct fail, that should read "campano el tigre endler" for the European endlers

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 1:51 PM, Torrey said:

There's a lot of debate over endlers, especially between the 1937 Bond Endlers, the 1975 Dr Endler collected fish from Laguna de Patos (Cumana), the more recent Armanda Pao collected endlers which make up the AdrianHD N class, P class etc system,  and I can't remember the guy in Europe who names endlers based on the location of collection (ie: Capano El Tigre endler).

You are paying for the paperwork that traces the lineage of your endlers. As long as you have the means to remove any males that are not staying true to type, and you enjoy preserving genetics, then yes, this trio is absolutely worth the price.

If you do not want to keep the strain true to type/ want the liberty of mixing genetics, then no, I would not spend this much money on 3 fish.

Ultimately, you have to decide what your goals are, long term, and if these 3 fish are key to meeting your goals. 

I have a pretty high tech set up to get the most success. I have an automatic fry separator, as well as separate male/ female sections divided by foam. I would definitely keep the genes pure, and I am willing to cull as many as I need to.

On 10/1/2021 at 9:36 PM, Mack said:

So… I’ve found some beautiful endlers. The only sexed fish available are the breeding pack, it includes 1 adult male, 1 Gravid female, and 1 young unrelated female for diversity in genes. It is $75 per fish.

The 1975'sa re a great lineage!  That was the N-class I was after a few years ago when I was trying to get my colony of Endler's started.  In the end, I couldn't track them down at the time.  They are the nearest to the original wild type that exist in the States today.  So, I'd say it depends on what you value.

I dislike hybrid...  Well, everything except crops.  I wanted the "real" Endler's, and so I knew I wanted an N-class with a good lineage.  I ended up with Marty's orchid Endler's, which are a line bread strain, but a good single species strain with no genetic pollution from other species.  They were lightly line bread in terms of selecting things that are not found much in the natural population making them nearly wild type.  The 1975's (also from Marty, if you are shopping the site I think you are) are what you would see in the wild, if you could still find them in the original habitat.

If none of that is important to you, it's a rip off.  If you are just after a nice looking Endler's strain, don't bother with those.  Get one you like the look of and don't look back.  If those things I've listed are important to you, it becomes a decision to weigh if you are able to afford them.  Even with my penchant for wild-type fish, that seems a bit steep to me for a species that breeds so easily.  But Endler's a "nano" fish and that's popular right now, so maybe they can get away with that price.  I don't know.  It all depends on your budget and what you are really chasing when you want a fish.

Good luck!

• Like 1